So ...

David Gerard-2
... written anything good on the encyclopedia lately?

- d.

Re: So ...

Phil Nash-3
David Gerard wrote:
> ... written anything good on the encyclopedia lately?
>

> - d.

I assume you're addressing this to those still able to do so. I, for my
part, am beavering away on Commons trying to sort out the mess that is
[[Category:Rivers of England]]. Category maintenance seems to be somewhat
haphazard/optional there, and I guess we can always do wth some additional
help.

Re: So ...

Fred Bauder-2
> ... written anything good on the encyclopedia lately?
>

> - d.

Well, yes,

I discovered the answer to the mystery of why Mao adopted Stalinism and
put it into History of the People's Republic of China (1949–1976)

A lot of people have wondered where he got those ideas. Turns out they
came from History of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (Bolshevik):
Short Course which was adopted by the Comintern as official history in
1938.

This solution was developed by Hua-yu Li, of Oregon State University and
published in his book, Mao and the Economic Stalinization of China,
1948-1953, Rowman & Littlefield (February 17, 2006) (hardcover), pp. 266.
ISBN 0742540537.

The introduction is on the publisher's website at

http://chapters.scarecrowpress.com/07/425/0742540545ch1.pdf

So yes, progress is made

Fred

Re: So ...

Bob the Wikipedian
If you're into mythology/cryptozoology, I did some translation from Old
Norse and Old Icelandic this summer to put together what is probably the
most complete syntheses (in any language) of [[Hafgufa]] and [[Lyngbakr]],
two legendary sea monsters.

Bob

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Fred Bauder <[hidden email]>wrote:

> > ... written anything good on the encyclopedia lately?
> >

> > - d.
>
> Well, yes,
>
> I discovered the answer to the mystery of why Mao adopted Stalinism and
> put it into History of the People's Republic of China (1949–1976)
>
> A lot of people have wondered where he got those ideas. Turns out they
> came from History of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union (Bolshevik):
> Short Course which was adopted by the Comintern as official history in
> 1938.
>
> This solution was developed by Hua-yu Li, of Oregon State University and
> published in his book, Mao and the Economic Stalinization of China,
> 1948-1953, Rowman & Littlefield (February 17, 2006) (hardcover), pp. 266.
> ISBN 0742540537.
>
> The introduction is on the publisher's website at
>
> http://chapters.scarecrowpress.com/07/425/0742540545ch1.pdf
>
> So yes, progress is made
>
> Fred

Re: So ...

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:41 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ... written anything good on the encyclopedia lately?
>

> - d.

Mostly cogent notices on talk pages, hoping that years from now somebody
with more in-subject expertice will address those concerns. Eventualism isn't
fun but it gets there eventually.

Re: So ...

Bod Notbod
On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 4:41 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... written anything good on the encyclopedia lately?

I like this question ;O)

For my part I have been considering my actions during time spent on
Wikipedia and actually adding content to articles has gone by the
wayside!

I have mainly been reading articles and making minor edits, generally
to little errors such as no space after punctuation or where someone
has accidentally repeated words or phrases. I suspect there's a gadget
out there that would do this much more quickly than my way. Prior to
that I was attending to my watchlist and the bulk of the actions
arising from that were reverts, warnings and welcomes.

But I must start devoting time to making more substantive contributions.

Bodnotbod

Re: So ...

David Gerard-2
On 12 October 2011 10:26, Bod Notbod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have mainly been reading articles and making minor edits, generally
> to little errors such as no space after punctuation or where someone
> has accidentally repeated words or phrases. I suspect there's a gadget
> out there that would do this much more quickly than my way. Prior to
> that I was attending to my watchlist and the bulk of the actions
> arising from that were reverts, warnings and welcomes.
> But I must start devoting time to making more substantive contributions.

Pretty much what I've been doing of late - just proofreading as I graze.

- d.

Re: So ...

Bod Notbod
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:37 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pretty much what I've been doing of late - just proofreading as I graze.

I have set myself the task of reading every article on current sitting
UK MPs (whilst also keeping bookmarks of stuff to read after that,
such as party articles or those on MPs not now sitting but that are
names recognisable to me). 2012 is going to be my year of UK politics,
I have decided.

There's no harm in doing this and, as I say, a little tidying gets
done along the way. But I don't feel I have the balance between doing
*real* *work* and keeping things suitably enjoyable and motivating
quite right.

Perhaps I will do a second and much more arduous pass of the articles
and start doing some proper writing. There's quite a few new MPs that
got elected for the first time in 2010 and their articles can be quite
short, so there's plenty of scope for substantial contributions.

Bodnotbod

Re: So ...

David Gerard-2
On 12 October 2011 10:49, Bod Notbod <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have set myself the task of reading every article on current sitting
> UK MPs (whilst also keeping bookmarks of stuff to read after that,
> such as party articles or those on MPs not now sitting but that are
> names recognisable to me). 2012 is going to be my year of UK politics,
> I have decided.

We need photos of all of them. You could take to requesting
free-licenced photos ...

- d.

Re: So ...

Bod Notbod
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:53 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need photos of all of them. You could take to requesting
> free-licenced photos ...

I shan't commit to that today, but I shall certainly consider it.

I haven't done anything like that before. This...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:OTRS

...seems to be what I need to familiarise myself with. My first
observation is that my request email to the MPs office is going to be
a tough long read for them what with having to... well, you sort have
to give them an education in licensing don't you? I suppose that can't
really be avoided. That makes it quite a job.

Bodnotbod

Re: So ...

Thomas Morton
All of the portraits on http://parliament.uk are copyright to
http://dods.co.uk/

It has always been in the back of my mind to approach them and ask about
relicensing with a free license (long shot, but maybe...).

Currently the images are licensed as freely usable with a non-commercial
clause, which is obviously a sticking point to just using them straight out.

[hidden email] is the contact.

(pretty everything else on parliament.uk is licensed under the open
parliament license BTW
http://www.parliament.uk/site-information/copyright/open-parliament-licence/
)

Tom

Re: So ...

Charles Matthews
On 11 October 2011 16:41, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... written anything good on the encyclopedia lately?
>

> [[Jacobus Verheiden]] turned out to be much more rewarding than it promised
to, when I just had a name. Spinoff from [[List of participants in the Synod
of Dort]], which is a tough piece of reference-finding; but I liked the way
it turned out to illuminate a whole series of engravings (on Commons) and to
link in with [[Hendrik Hondius I]], and the Bodleian.

I came across the idea of "cigarette card" collections of portraits on
[[List of legendary kings of Scotland]], and here it is again, earlier and
in another form.

Charles

Re: So ...

Carcharoth
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Charles Matthews
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I came across the idea of "cigarette card" collections of portraits on
> [[List of legendary kings of Scotland]], and here it is again, earlier and
> in another form.

There is a long and venerable history of such collections of portraits
of the 'grand and the good'. My reading on collections of images
includes collections such as 'virorum literis illustrium', 'icones
virorum illustrium', 'vitae virorum illustrium' and so on.

I'm pleased to see we have an article on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_viris_illustribus

Though that refers to biographical collections, at some point the act
of illustrating them caught on as well.

Or of simply making or collecting portraits:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovio_Series

Carcharoth

Re: So ...

On 11 October 2011 16:41, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... written anything good on the encyclopedia lately?

Aaaand, an article I created long ago has been AFDed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/XScreenSaver

The material to save it exists, but isn't in the article as yet. I
have work to do!

- d.

Re: So ...

Tom Morris-5
On Wednesday, October 12, 2011, Thomas Morton wrote:

> All of the portraits on http://parliament.uk are copyright to
> http://dods.co.uk/
>
> It has always been in the back of my mind to approach them and ask about
> relicensing with a free license (long shot, but maybe...).

I can't remember who I had this discussion with but someone Wikimedia
UK-related, I'm sure. Basically, one thing we could do once we have charity
status is actually approach the Houses of Parliament and for some volunteers
affiliated with WMUK to become official photographers, and to include that
in the list of things MPs either have to or are encouraged to do when they
return after the next election.

This is the sort of thing we can do as a chapter even if doing it as an
individual is a pain in the ass.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>