So who's beta-testing the Visual Editor?

So who's beta-testing the Visual Editor?

David Gerard-2
This is all the Visual Editor edits in en:wp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&tagfilter=visualeditor

It's not many. So please switch it on (you can still click "Edit
source" to do references and templates) and give it a good kicking. A
bug discovered now saves endless newbie pain later.

- d.

Re: So who's beta-testing the Visual Editor?

Katherine Casey
I've found it very difficult to test out the VE because so much of what I
do involves, one way or another, templates (which don't work yet in VE).
Manipulating anything to do with a source, for example, is out. Adding tags
to an article is out. Infoboxes are out. And so forth. I suspect once
templates and, more specifically, references are up and running, it will be
much, much easier to test VE as part of one's workflow.

-Fluffernutter

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is all the Visual Editor edits in en:wp:
>

> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&tagfilter=visualeditor
>
> It's not many. So please switch it on (you can still click "Edit
> source" to do references and templates) and give it a good kicking. A
> bug discovered now saves endless newbie pain later.
>

> - d.

Re: So who's beta-testing the Visual Editor?

Amir E. Aharoni
2013/5/11 David Gerard <[hidden email]>:
> This is all the Visual Editor edits in en:wp:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&tagfilter=visualeditor
>
> It's not many. So please switch it on (you can still click "Edit
> source" to do references and templates) and give it a good kicking. A
> bug discovered now saves endless newbie pain later.

Mmmm... so I know that it's the English Wikipedia mailing list, but I
suppose that this won't hurt:

In the Hebrew Wikipedia several people tried the VisualEditor. I
counted seven newly reported bugs as a result of this, and one
reopened. There were also a few WONTFIXes, INVALIDs and dupes. Two of
the new bugs were already fixed.

I think that it's a reasonable response level to a brand new opt-in
feature, which is barely alpha quality. It's not big, but it's much
more than zero.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

On 11 May 2013 22:08, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mmmm... so I know that it's the English Wikipedia mailing list, but I
> suppose that this won't hurt:
> In the Hebrew Wikipedia several people tried the VisualEditor. I
> counted seven newly reported bugs as a result of this, and one
> reopened. There were also a few WONTFIXes, INVALIDs and dupes. Two of
> the new bugs were already fixed.
> I think that it's a reasonable response level to a brand new opt-in
> feature, which is barely alpha quality. It's not big, but it's much
> more than zero.

True. Testing early and often is particularly important for a
right-to-left language, since those are generally neglected in the
Latin alphabet computing world.

- d.

Re: So who's beta-testing the Visual Editor?

Steve Bennett-8
On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 6:43 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is all the Visual Editor edits in en:wp:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:RecentChanges&tagfilter=visualeditor
>
> It's not many. So please switch it on (you can still click "Edit
> source" to do references and templates) and give it a good kicking. A
> bug discovered now saves endless newbie pain later.

As I think I commented elsewhere, the lack of references is a deal
breaker for me, even for testing. A couple of times already I started
making an edit with the VE, then went to add a reference...and hard to
start over in the "source" editor.

That said, I haven't seen any bugs. It looks really, really good.

Steve

On 13 May 2013 05:38, Steve Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I think I commented elsewhere, the lack of references is a deal
> breaker for me, even for testing. A couple of times already I started
> making an edit with the VE, then went to add a reference...and hard to
> start over in the "source" editor.

I've been using it for typos.

> That said, I haven't seen any bugs. It looks really, really good.

Still getting pawns show up occasionally. (Reliable way to manifest
them: edit a list.)

- d.

Re: So who's beta-testing the Visual Editor?

WereSpielChequers-2
I tried it for typos, very slow and it worked on one article and kept
trying to vandalise another. But when I edit I like to have Firefox's
spellchecker to red underline possible typos, and this doesn't support that.

I worry about the loss of section editing in the visual editor. Aside from
being one of the most effective ways to reduce edit conflicts, having an
edit button on each section is a great way to encourage editing. Without it
I wonder at the metrics we will get from this. We are making two big
changes, one is expected to increase editing the other to reduce it; If we
only measure the overall effect how are we going to learn the individual
effects?

WSC