Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Cornelius Kibelka
Hi all,

I have to ask one of these naive (European) questions:

My colleagues and me, we have mostly adapters for the "B" socket type (those with a round grounding). Can we use them in the Sheraton hotel – or do we need the "A" socket type adapters (those sockets without an entry for the round grounding)?

Thanks in advance,
cheers

Cornelius
--
Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Andrew Lih-2
Actually, I can give you an exact snapshot of the plugs in the Sheraton rooms.

They are standard grounded three prong US/Canada 110V plugs.

From our site visit earlier this year, this is what is in the room next to the work desk:

The good news is they have four power plugs by default, a USB port, and if you want to plug in your own video you can.

-Andrew

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism, American University
US National Archives Citizen Archivist of the Year (2016)
Knight Foundation grant recipient - Wikipedia Space (2015)
Wikimedia DC - Outreach and GLAM
---
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http://www.wikipediarevolution.com

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 9:52 AM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks a lot for your answers, and especially Andrew for the photo!

See you soon,
Cornelius

--

Am 18.07.2017 16:21 schrieb "Andrew Lih" <[hidden email]>:
I’ve started a section on the Travel_tips page on Wikimania wiki:

-Andrew

-Andrew Lih
Associate professor of journalism, American University
US National Archives Citizen Archivist of the Year (2016)
Knight Foundation grant recipient - Wikipedia Space (2015)
Wikimedia DC - Outreach and GLAM
---
BOOK: The Wikipedia Revolution: http://www.wikipediarevolution.com

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 10:00 AM, Andrew Lih <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, I can give you an exact snapshot of the plugs in the Sheraton rooms.

They are standard grounded three prong US/Canada 110V plugs.

From our site visit earlier this year, this is what is in the room next to the work desk:

[...]

Gabriel Thullen
Hi,

I have  a request for our American & Canadian friends:
Could you collect a lot of power cables with US sockets, so that all of us foreigners can use them instead of complicated adapter plugs ?
I know that I have dozens of them hanging around my house, they come with all the equipment but I do not discard them when I get rid of the old stuff. I am sure that you guys over there can get boxes of these power cords for free.

Hint:
Tell your local newspaper that you are looking for power cords for different devices. They can then run a "human interest" story about how dozens (or hundreds, whatever) of wikimedians from all over the world will be coming to Montreal and they will all need to connect their computers and other devices. Different countries use different plugs (as some American wikimedians were very surprised to find out last summer in Esino Lario).

Best regards
Gabe

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From our site visit earlier this year, this is what is in the room next to the work desk:

[...]

DaB.
Hello.
Am 18.07.2017 um 19:06 schrieb Gabriel Thullen:
> Could you collect a lot of power cables with US sockets, so that all of
> us foreigners can use them instead of complicated adapter plugs ?

I’m not sure if this would be a good idea, because the US/Canada use a
110V-system while Europe uses 230V.
While many notebooks can stomach both, lots of other devices can not. So
it could be fatal to just switch the powercord of a device.

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka funktioniert)

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Daniel Zahn-2

Many power cords consist of 2 parts, so for example if you have a Thinkpad and it looks like this:

Then you use the part with the little box as you always would and just need that other part from there to the wall socket,
and no additional adapter.

Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
Operations Engineer

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Peter Southwood
Which 220V devices do you know that will be damaged by connecting via a laptop power cable to 110V?
I don't know of any.

Am 18.07.2017 um 19:06 schrieb Gabriel Thullen:
> Could you collect a lot of power cables with US sockets, so that all
> of us foreigners can use them instead of complicated adapter plugs ?

I’m not sure if this would be a good idea, because the US/Canada use a 110V-system while Europe uses 230V.
While many notebooks can stomach both, lots of other devices can not. So it could be fatal to just switch the powercord of a device.

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka funktioniert)

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Samat-2
I tried my hair dryer I bought in the U.S. in Europe, but it wasn't a good idea ;)
The other way it will be only slow, and dries the hair after ages...

I think, power adapters work with both voltage, and mobile devices will be charged only slower with 110V.

Best,
Samat

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 9:39 AM, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Which 220V devices do you know that will be damaged by connecting via a laptop power cable to 110V?
I don't know of any.

Am 18.07.2017 um 19:06 schrieb Gabriel Thullen:
> Could you collect a lot of power cables with US sockets, so that all
> of us foreigners can use them instead of complicated adapter plugs ?

I’m not sure if this would be a good idea, because the US/Canada use a 110V-system while Europe uses 230V.
While many notebooks can stomach both, lots of other devices can not. So it could be fatal to just switch the powercord of a device.

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka funktioniert)

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Stephan Schulz

> On 19. Jul 2017, at 10:25, Samat <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tried my hair dryer I bought in the U.S. in Europe, but it wasn't a good idea ;)
> The other way it will be only slow, and dries the hair after ages...
>
> I think, power adapters work with both voltage, and mobile devices will be charged only slower with 110V.

Not all power adaptors, but nearly all power adaptors for mobile devices for the
last 20 years or so have beed designed for 100-240V, 50-60Hz AC, and except for
the mechanical connectors work in nearly all mains systems on the planet. If in
doubt, check the thing.

Have fun!

Stephan

--
------------------------------ It can be done! ---------------------------------
          Please email me as [hidden email] (Stephan Schulz)

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com
This was true for South Korean hair dryer (220V) used in Japan (110V). While it doesn't explode or some kind of smoke (see also [1]), dryer was almost unusable as the power was too weak.

So a small question: does the hotel provides hair dryer? I guess so, but want to reconfirm.

--
Yongmin
Sent from my iPhone

2017. 7. 19. 17:25 Samat <[hidden email]> 작성:

The other way it will be only slow, and dries the hair after ages...

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Martin Rulsch
According to http://m.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/rooms/amenities.html?propertyID=463, there should be a hair dryer.

Best,
Martin

This was true for South Korean hair dryer (220V) used in Japan (110V). While it doesn't explode or some kind of smoke (see also [1]), dryer was almost unusable as the power was too weak.

So a small question: does the hotel provides hair dryer? I guess so, but want to reconfirm.

--
Yongmin
Sent from my iPhone
Text licensed under CC BY ND 2.0 KR

2017. 7. 19. 17:25 Samat <[hidden email]> 작성:

The other way it will be only slow, and dries the hair after ages...

Martin Rulsch
Team Ideenförderung

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 3:39 AM, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]> wrote:
Which 220V devices do you know that will be damaged by connecting via a laptop power cable to 110V?
I don't know of any.
Cheers,

Right - in general if your cord is rugged enough to handle 220V then 110V will not be a problem.

Nearly every modern laptop power brick is going to handle 100-240V, 50-60Hz AC just fine.

You may have some third party USB, mobile phone chargers or smaller power adapters (shavers, baby electronics, et al.) that might be specific to the voltage, so the safest thing is to check. The writing is so small on these that I usually take a photo with the mobile phone and zoom in to read the specs.

-Andrew

Am 19.07.2017 um 09:39 schrieb Peter Southwood:
> Which 220V devices do you know that will be damaged by connecting via
> a laptop power cable to 110V?

everyone that has an induction motor in it for example. And it’s 230V
since 30 years BTW.

But it’s not my devices that will go broke – but do not say I didn’t
warn you :-).

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka funktioniert)

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Peter Southwood
Which devices with an induction motor will run off a laptop power cable?
Cheers,
Peter

Am 19.07.2017 um 09:39 schrieb Peter Southwood:
> Which 220V devices do you know that will be damaged by connecting via
> a laptop power cable to 110V?

everyone that has an induction motor in it for example. And it’s 230V since 30 years BTW.

But it’s not my devices that will go broke – but do not say I didn’t warn you :-).

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka funktioniert)

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Gabriel Thullen
I think that this conversation is getting way off track.

The original question was about what type of adapter on needs to be able to plug into a power mains in Canada.

One smart answer was the picture of the sockets available.
I suggested that someone in Montréal see if he collect a bunch of power cords that I felt that people might want to donate.
That is all. I assume that the wikimedians travelling to Canada know about the voltage issues, they just want to be able to plug their modern computer into the room socket.

Best regards
Gabe

PS
I am not sure that the vacuum tubes in my computer will like the 110V, but I will give it a try...