Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

DaB.
Hello,
Am 20.07.2017 um 21:54 schrieb Peter Southwood:
> Which devices with an induction motor will run off a laptop power cable?

while there is no such a thing as a “laptop cable”, the original
question was about general “power cables”.

The cable between the wall-socket and you laptop-transformer is usually
one of these 3:
* A rubber connector (C14)
* Clover-leaf or Mickey Mouse (C5)
* Not polarized (C7)

C14 and C7 are also used in many other devices beside IT: C7 for example
with radios. And here lies the danger: That somebody would use the
cables you provided for laptops (where they are mostly fine) to connect
devices that are not ready for under-voltage.
If you use a C14 to power a fan-cooled heater, the possibility that it
will catch fire (because the dumb heating works fine, but the more
complex fan is not) is quite high.

I do not say that something bad will happen (because modern devices
often use far range transformers), but there is the possibility; as you
could read in this thread some people were …naive… enough to plug-in
American devices into European socket-outlets.

Sincerely,
DaB.

--
Benutzerseite: [[:w:de:User:DaB.]]
PGP: 0x7CD1E35FD2A3A158 (pka funktioniert)

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Peter Southwood

I agree with this as a useful proposal. There were objections, and I was trying to find out if they were actually relevant to your specific proposal, So fat I am not convinced that there is a risk, and support the proposal as useful. Whether it can be done on a useful scale is yet to be determined.

My interest is that I am on the committee for Wikimania 2018, and we will have a similar problem. Particularly with adaptors from Australian to South African. Euro and American are off the shelf. Australian are apparently not.

Cheers,

Peter

Re: Socket type in the Sheraton Hotel

Peter Southwood
Thanks, That is useful information. I have only seen one type here , which may be the clover-leaf (it has three holes, two slightly smaller than the third, which is offset, and the surrounding insulator does look like a Mickey Mouse front view head outline).
Cheers,
Peter