Solved Broken search engine

Fxp

Solved Broken search engine

Fxp
Hi

Symptom:
The search engine works for title search but gives no result for any
text search. The words of the query appears correctly in the "For query"
 at the top and in the form textarea after the namespaces boxes.

Environnment:
 # MediaWiki: 1.6alpha
 # PHP: 4.4.2 (cgi)
 # MySQL: 4.0.26

Explanation:
During install or upgrade, the value of the DBtype variable was not set
correctly.

Solution:
Edit the LocalSettings.php file
Find the $wgDBtype = "";
Type between the hyphens the type of your database:
example: $wgDBtype = "mysql";

Hope this helps.
Thank you to Brion for (re)giving the steps of debugging :-)

Fran├žois

___________________________
The FAQ:
 http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FAQ
The newsgroups:
 http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki
The archive:
 http://search.gmane.org/?group=gmane.org.wikimedia.mediawiki
User Guide:
 http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User's_Guide:_Installation
CVS:
 http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/wikipedia/

Re: Solved Broken search engine

Brion Vibber
FxParlant wrote:
> Symptom:
> The search engine works for title search but gives no result for any
> text search. The words of the query appears correctly in the "For query"
>  at the top and in the form textarea after the namespaces boxes.
>
> Environnment:
>  # MediaWiki: 1.6alpha

You're way behind. Update to current code.

>  # PHP: 4.4.2 (cgi)
>  # MySQL: 4.0.26
>
> Explanation:
> During install or upgrade, the value of the DBtype variable was not set
> correctly.

1) Upgrade to current code.
2) Try to reproduce this issue.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

The 1.6.2 to 1.6.3 upgrade

Hiram Clawson
Good Afternoon MediaWiki Fans:

It appears from the source changes from 1.6.2 to 1.6.3 that
there are important database table changes.  Is this just
for MySQL 5.0 support, or are these real database table changes
that will take place during the run of the maintenance/update.php
script ?

--Hiram

Re: The 1.6.2 to 1.6.3 upgrade

Brion Vibber
Hiram Clawson wrote:
> Good Afternoon MediaWiki Fans:
>
> It appears from the source changes from 1.6.2 to 1.6.3 that
> there are important database table changes.

There are no differences at all, no.

Some early versions of MySQL 4.0 didn't accept the 'ENGINE' parameter on CREATE
TABLE statements. It's been changed back to 'TYPE' for improved compatibility.
(Apparently it was changed to 'ENGINE' because some versions of the experimental
MySQL 5.1 had removed the 'TYPE' keyword, a change which has since been reverted.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

login Captcha

Hiram Clawson
Good Afternoon Captcha Fans:

I discovered an interesting situation with the login Captcha
business here today.

If I have anonymous users excluding from reading anything:
$wgGroupPermissions['*'    ]['read']            = false;

When they go to the create account page, they don't have
permission to read the Captcha png image and it doesn't
show up on the login page.  Everything else is there for
the Captcha entry, but since there is no image to view,
it is unknown what to enter into the verify entry box.

Is there some way to allow anonymous users to read
only this one bit that the img src URL references:
img src="/index.php?title=Special:Captcha/image&wpCaptchaId=696369
457"

--Hiram

Re: login Captcha

M. Cameron Jones
On 4/12/06, Hiram Clawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there some way to allow anonymous users to read
> only this one bit that the img src URL references:
> img src="/index.php?title=Special:Captcha/image&amp;wpCaptchaId=696369
> 457"

Don't know for sure, but my guess would be to add "Special:Captcha" to
$wgWhitelistRead in LocalSettings.php

- Cameron

Re: login Captcha

Hiram Clawson
Yes, that works, thanks Cameron:

$wgWhitelistRead = array( "Main Page", "Special:Userlogin", "Special:Captcha/image" );

--Hiram