Some images are not visible in the preview when you hover over a link to another wikipedia webpage

Some images are not visible in the preview when you hover over a link to another wikipedia webpage

Laurent Lyaudet
Hello,

I checked the FAQs and asked one question on french Wikipedia but got no answer.
The subject of the email says all but here is an example.
If you look at the wikipedia article :
  https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince
it lists many articles for different types of pliers.
I you hover over the links, it will display a preview (hover-preview)
with a small text and most of the time a small image of the
corresponding pliers.
(This is quite useful to learn the name of a particular type of pliers
without opening a lots of tabs :).)
I saw that the link "la pince universelle ;" didn't show any image but
when I looked at the corresponding article, it did have an image
(https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince_universelle).
I tried to correct that, comparing the code between
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince_%C3%A0_avoyer that displayed an
image in its hover-preview and
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince_universelle, without success. (I
changed "File:" with "Image:").

I think this is a bug that the image of the article
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pince_universelle isn't displayed in its
hover-preview, but I would like to know what you think about it (maybe
the problem stems from the fact that the file has whitespaces in its
name.)

Moreover, I have a feature request : it would be great if the
edit-preview would also display the hover-preview so that you can
validate your modifications also with respect to the hover-preview of
the article.

Happy new year, best regards,
   Laurent Lyaudet

Re: Some images are not visible in the preview when you hover over a link to another wikipedia webpage

Bartosz Dziewoński
I am guessing you are using "Page previews":
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Page_Previews

(This has to be enabled by each user on
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spécial:Préférences under "Aperçus de page".)

The tool loads its data from here:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/page/summary/Pince_à_avoyer
https://fr.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/page/summary/Pince_universelle

The first of these pages has a "thumbnail" defined, the second doesn't.
Unfortunately I don't know what generates this data, but perhaps someone
else can help.

--
Bartosz Dziewoński

Re: Some images are not visible in the preview when you hover over a link to another wikipedia webpage

Nick Wilson (Quiddity)
On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Bartosz Dziewoński <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The first of these pages has a "thumbnail" defined, the second doesn't.
> Unfortunately I don't know what generates this data, but perhaps someone
> else can help.

In that instance, I believe it's not using the image because of the
aspect-ratio (very short-and-wide).

Whether an image is available to the hover-previews is determined by
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PageImages#Image_choice (then
Extension:Popups - the "page previews/hovercards" extension - just
uses that.).
For example
https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Louve_(outil)&action=info (image)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Pince_universelle&action=info
(no image)

>> Moreover, I have a feature request : it would be great if the
>> edit-preview would also display the hover-preview so that you can
>> validate your modifications also with respect to the hover-preview of
>> the article.

Good idea. Filed as https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T183870

Happy new year :)