Spamming

WikiPlant
Hi! The last time I have problems with linkspam :(
Can you tell me how to reduce this or how it can be possible that users
have to confirm their registration always with an e-mail? Thanks, Flo

Re: Spamming

Bugzilla from rowan.collins@gmail.com
On 29/01/06, WikiPlant <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi! The last time I have problems with linkspam :(
> Can you tell me how to reduce this or how it can be possible that users
> have to confirm their registration always with an e-mail? Thanks, Flo

See recent developments on the wikitech-l mailing list:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.science.linguistics.wikipedia.technical/21785

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]

Re: Spamming

Rob Church
There are several possibilities for reducing spam. First of all,
there's the built-in $wgSpamRegex configuration option
(http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:$wgSpamRegex), although that's not
too flexible.

Another method is the now-excellent spam blacklist extension from Tim
Starling, which can be downloaded from CVS, and uses a centralised
Wikimedia blacklist. This can also be configured to use a local file
or wiki page in addition.

A third option is to consider using the experimental captcha extension
Brion Vibber recently finished hacking away at; also available in CVS.
>From what I've seen of it, it seems quite effective, and should be
able to reduce spambot edits somewhat.

If none of these are quite suitable, you might consider taking one of
them and altering it to fit your precise needs, or asking someone to
develop something similar but customised.

Rob Church