Stable version announcement

Erik Moeller-4
All -

the below announcement needs to be translated into as many languages
as possible. I would suggest, as a process, that

* I will send it to a bunch of mailing lists on Thursday evening PST,
e.g. wikipedia-l, wikien-l, foundation-l.
* People on this list speaking various languages will have prepared
translations ready by then, and can send them directly to the relevant
lists in their language.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Erik

Subject: Help us Test Stable Versions!

Please translate this announcement into other languages and forward it
to other mailing lists and village pumps.

The Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Germany have collaborated, with
financial support from Wikimedia France, to support development of a
new extension to our software
which makes it possible to flag versions of wiki articles as having
reached a certain quality. This new toolset could mark the beginning
of a new era for Wikipedia and its sister projects, giving readers
more transparency than ever about the quality of a given article. A
special note of thanks to Aaron Schulz, who has developed much of the
functionality as a volunteer -- we would not be where we are today
without him.

Before this functionality will be enabled on any Wikimedia project, it
needs to be tested thoroughly for usability, bugs, security and
performance. Test wikis have been set up in English and German
(because the German Wikimedia community has been driving the
development of this functionality from the beginning).

http://en.labs.wikimedia.org/

http://de.labs.wikimedia.org/

These wikis contain a copy of the Wikibooks database. This copy is
completely separate from the "real" Wikibooks, so do not worry about
destroying anything of value. Please follow the instructions on the
Main Pages to participate. If you do not speak English or German, we
encourage you right now to

- set up test wikis independently using the open source extension
available from http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:FlaggedRevs ,
or

- change the user interface preference, and create pages in the
English test wiki in your language.

This is due to our limited capacity to set up additional wikis. If you
feel you really, absolutely, strongly need a test wiki in your
language, please file a request through:

https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/

Wikimedia communities will also have to decide what kind of
configuration to use for their project. Key questions to answer
include:

- What quality attributes should there be?

- Who should be permitted to flag changes as having been reviewed for
vandalism, or for other quality attributes?

- Should the default view for unregistered users change to the "stable
version" on all pages, some pages, or no pages?

The German Wikimedia community has implemented a particular
long-standing community proposal and will probably go live the soonest
with this configuration; other communities will still have to develop
consensus.

== What's next? ==

The test will run at least until April 10, 2008 before the extension
is implemented live on any wiki. This is to allow any serious problems
to be surfaced by the community. If there are no critical open issues
as of April 10, any language/project community will be permitted to
file a request through https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/ to activate the
extension. This request will have to point to pages in the project
indicating a consensus to move forward. Detailed instructions to do so
will be posted on the test wikis.

Re: Stable version announcement

KIZU Naoko
On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All -
>
>  the below announcement needs to be translated into as many languages
>  as possible. I would suggest, as a process, that
>
>  * I will send it to a bunch of mailing lists on Thursday evening PST,
>  e.g. wikipedia-l, wikien-l, foundation-l.
>  * People on this list speaking various languages will have prepared
>  translations ready by then, and can send them directly to the relevant
>  lists in their language.
>
>  Does that make sense?

Yes (without PST part,  it is not clear for everyone, please use UTC
or give the time difference, thx). Dear translators, to avoid
duplicating works, if you are willing to volunteer the requested
translation, please give a note to the list.

Or better to have a page on meta to track who are working on it? How
do you think, Erik?

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Stable version announcement

Maria Fanucchi
Well, I'll start working on the fr: version, then. Where shall I put the translation once it's done?
--Maria

On 3/19/08, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> All -
>
>  the below announcement needs to be translated into as many languages
>  as possible. I would suggest, as a process, that
>
>  * I will send it to a bunch of mailing lists on Thursday evening PST,
>  e.g. wikipedia-l, wikien-l, foundation-l.
>  * People on this list speaking various languages will have prepared
>  translations ready by then, and can send them directly to the relevant
>  lists in their language.
>
>  Does that make sense?

Yes (without PST part,  it is not clear for everyone, please use UTC
or give the time difference, thx). Dear translators, to avoid
duplicating works, if you are willing to volunteer the requested
translation, please give a note to the list.

Or better to have a page on meta to track who are working on it? How
do you think, Erik?

--
KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Stable version announcement

Maria Fanucchi
*sighs* Sorry about the stupid question. I think I'm still not fully awake.
--Maria

Quote of the Day (English): <a href="http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/WQ:QOTD

Re: Stable version announcement

Wojciech Pędzich
I'll try to get through with the PL version ASAP. Means,
ASAmy_baby_lets_me :)

~~~~... Erm, what's wrong with the signature...?

Wojtek ([[User:Wpedzich]])

Erik Moeller pisze:

> [...]
> version" on all pages, some pages, or no pages?
>
> The German Wikimedia community has implemented a particular
> long-standing community proposal and will probably go live the soonest
> with this configuration; other communities will still have to develop
> consensus.
>
> == What's next? ==
>
> The test will run at least until April 10, 2008 before the extension
> is implemented live on any wiki. This is to allow any serious problems
> to be surfaced by the community. If there are no critical open issues
> as of April 10, any language/project community will be permitted to
> file a request through https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/ to activate the
> extension. This request will have to point to pages in the project
> indicating a consensus to move forward. Detailed instructions to do so

Charli Li-4

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Charli Li <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Erik Moeller's mail client expels the following stream of bytes on
>  19/03/2008 01:25:
>
> > All -
>  >
>  > the below announcement needs to be translated into as many languages
>  > as possible.

>  I've got zh, if nobody's interested.
Thanks Charli!

So we have now or will have
* French
* Polish
* Chinese

.. and more? Is anyone working on German? I suppose it will be a big
interest on that project ...

On 3/20/08, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  .. and more? Is anyone working on German? I suppose it will be a big
>  interest on that project ...

Philipp, who is coordinating the German pilot, may already have sent
an announcement, or intend to write up his own. Philipp? (I'm
forwarding you a copy of the final version that I've released for
translation.)

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Stable version announcement

Luiz Augusto-2
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Aphaia <[hidden email]> wrote:
So we have now or will have
* French
* Polish
* Chinese

.. and more? Is anyone working on German? I suppose it will be a big
interest on that project ...

Portuguese is also done. When the announcement in English get published I'll spam it to pt.wp, pt.ws, pt.wb, pt.wt, pt.wn, pt.wq Village pumps plus the wikipt mailing list.

Re: Stable version announcement

Anders Wennersten
A short version is ready in Swedish and up on our  sv:wp villagepump.
/Anders

Luiz Augusto skrev:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Aphaia <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     So we have now or will have
>     * French
>     * Polish
>     * Chinese
>
>     .. and more? Is anyone working on German? I suppose it will be a big
>     interest on that project ...
>

> Portuguese is also done. When the announcement in English get
> published I'll spam it to pt.wp, pt.ws <http://pt.ws>, pt.wb, pt.wt,
> pt.wn, pt.wq Village pumps plus the wikipt mailing list.

Re: Stable version announcement

masti
After some discussions on polish lists PL translation is finished :)

I hope its ready for announcement.

masti

Wojciech Pędzich pisze:
> I'll try to get through with the PL version ASAP. Means,
> ASAmy_baby_lets_me :)

Re: Stable version announcement

Wojciech Pędzich
Yup, looks pretty good and IMO ready to publish:

Here you go: http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedysta:Masti/Wersje_stabilne

Wojtek, eternally grateful to Masti for taking some burden off his
shoulders in time of need ;)

masti pisze:

> After some discussions on polish lists PL translation is finished :)
>
> I hope its ready for announcement.
>
> masti
>

> Wojciech Pędzich pisze:
>
>> I'll try to get through with the PL version ASAP. Means,
>> ASAmy_baby_lets_me :)

Re: Stable version announcement

Harald Pfeiffer
If it's still of use, I have posted a German translation here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Lirion/de-labs

Someone should  review this translation, I bet it has weaknesses,
especially since I've just done it in a few minutes ;) My experience tells
me that an instant review by me would leave too many faults.

Re: Stable version announcement

KIZU Naoko
Thanks guys,

* German
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Harald Pfeiffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If it's still of use, I have posted a German translation here:
>  http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benutzer:Lirion/de-labs
>
>  Someone should  review this translation, I bet it has weaknesses,
>  especially since I've just done it in a few minutes ;) My experience tells
>  me that an instant review by me would leave too many faults.

It is nice of us all to have a reviewer or more :)
I'm ccing this mail to all who have been got in touch but I am not
sure if they are on the list.
Manecke, could you please check the further part (copyedit and posting
wherever it fits) as a coordinator?

Arria, I'm afraid there is no Spanish translation ... can you please
coordinate Spanish version too?

And Kudos to all the teams working on it, as well as the team which
have realized this feature :)

KIZU Naoko
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/Britty (in Japanese)

Re: Stable version announcement

Sabine Cretella
Could you please let me know when Spanish or Catalan is ready? We can
use one of these languages as basis to use Apertium for Machine
translation into others (Apertium is suitable to do quite high quality
translations), so that for some languages we only need to ask for proof
reading.

Copying this message to Francis Tyers from the Apertium project. That's
why I don't cut the original message.

Cheers, Sabine