Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Rehman Abubakr
Hey.

So anyone planning on going there?

I plan on visiting there hopefully on the 15th before I leave back to Colombo. It's basically the bigger part of the Air & Space Museum which most of us know in DC, and houses the Space Shuttle Discovery (YEAH!), SR71 Blackbird, Gemini 7, the B29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, a Concorde, and tons more.

Links: Website, Wikipedia.

Let me know if anyone's interested. Haven't planned the transportation route yet. It's located just next to the Dulles airport.

[[User:Rehman]]

Re: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Lori Phillips
Local tip: You should definitely consider tagging along together with Rehman and going to the Udvar-Hazy.

It's worth the trip out to Dulles, and perhaps may be something worth considering on the morning that you may leave for your flight, if your schedule allows. (The museum is located on the grounds of Dulles airport, but you do not have to drive into the main airport parking, etc., to get there, the entrance is elsewhere.)

I hope a few of you make it out!

Lori

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Rehman Wikimedia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey.

So anyone planning on going there?

I plan on visiting there hopefully on the 15th before I leave back to Colombo. It's basically the bigger part of the Air & Space Museum which most of us know in DC, and houses the Space Shuttle Discovery (YEAH!), SR71 Blackbird, Gemini 7, the B29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, a Concorde, and tons more.

Links: Website, Wikipedia.

Let me know if anyone's interested. Haven't planned the transportation route yet. It's located just next to the Dulles airport.

[[User:Rehman]]

Lori Phillips
Digital Marketing Content Coordinator
The Children's Museum of Indianapolis

US Cultural Partnerships Coordinator

Re: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Andy Mabbett-2

I'd planned to do that on my way to the airport on Monday, but it seems that they don't have a facility to leave luggage.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

On Jul 14, 2012 7:48 AM, "Lori Phillips" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Yep, it seems like they don't.

Unfortunately there is also no public transportation directly from DC to the Udvar-Hazy. And taking public transportation might take upto to 2 hours, and would almost near the cost of simply taking a taxi (from what I quickly read on the internet). So I think taking a cab and splitting the fare would be more cost effective.

It would be best if we leave soon after breakfast, by at least 10am. I believe User:Magioladitis is joining as well. So that's 2 so far :)

Re: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Manuel Schneider-3
Am 2012-07-14 14:11, schrieb Andy Mabbett:
> Id planned to do that on my way to the airport on Monday, but it
> seems
> that they dont have a facility to leave luggage.

there are at least two other people who want to go to the Air & Space
Museum near the airport and I also have a flight on Monday evening and
want to take my stuff to the airport, leave it somewhere there, see the
museum, come back in the afternoon and check the luggage in.

/Manuel

> On Jul 14, 2012 7:48 AM, "Lori Phillips"
> <[hidden email]
> [10]> wrote:
>
>> Local tip: You should definitely consider tagging along together
>> with Rehman and going to the Udvar-Hazy.
>>
>> Its worth the trip out to Dulles, and perhaps may be something worth
>> considering on the morning that you may leave for your flight, if
>> your schedule allows. (The museum is located on the grounds of
>> Dulles airport, but you do not have to drive into the main airport
>> parking, etc., to get there, the entrance is elsewhere.)

>> On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Rehman Wikimedia
>> <[hidden email] [5]> wrote:

>>> I plan on visiting there hopefully on the 15th before I leave back
>>> to Colombo. Its basically the bigger part of the Air & Space
>>> Museum which most of us know in DC, and houses the Space Shuttle
>>> Discovery (YEAH!), SR71 Blackbird, Gemini 7, the B29 that dropped
>>> the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, a Concorde, and tons more.

--
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Gesellschaft zur Förderung freien Wissens
www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Michael Peel-4
I'm probably going to be going to Udvar-Hazy around midday on Sunday (after the comcom meeting on Sunday morning, before I fly out fairly early on Monday), returning to Washington when it closes at ~6.30pm. If anyone else is interested in going at these times, let me know.

It looks like the easiest way to get there via public transport is the Metrobus to Dulles (http://www.wmata.com/bus/ - 5A, from L'enfant Plaza to Dulles), and then there's a Loudon bus from Dulles to the Air and Space museum (route 83, http://www.vatransit.org/) - and back the same way.

Thanks,
Mike

On 14 Jul 2012, at 15:28, Manuel Schneider wrote:

> Am 2012-07-14 14:11, schrieb Andy Mabbett:
>> Id planned to do that on my way to the airport on Monday, but it seems
>> that they dont have a facility to leave luggage.
>
> there are at least two other people who want to go to the Air & Space Museum near the airport and I also have a flight on Monday evening and want to take my stuff to the airport, leave it somewhere there, see the museum, come back in the afternoon and check the luggage in.
>
> /Manuel
>
>> On Jul 14, 2012 7:48 AM, "Lori Phillips" <[hidden email]
>> [10]> wrote:
>>
>>> Local tip: You should definitely consider tagging along together
>>> with Rehman and going to the Udvar-Hazy.
>>>
>>> Its worth the trip out to Dulles, and perhaps may be something worth
>>> considering on the morning that you may leave for your flight, if
>>> your schedule allows. (The museum is located on the grounds of
>>> Dulles airport, but you do not have to drive into the main airport
>>> parking, etc., to get there, the entrance is elsewhere.)

> --
> Manuel Schneider
>
> Wikimedia CH - Gesellschaft zur Förderung freien Wissens
> www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Kim Bruning
On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 05:58:40AM +0600, Rehman Wikimedia wrote:

> Hey.
>
> So anyone planning on going there?
>
> I plan on visiting there hopefully on the 15th before I leave back to Colombo. It's basically the bigger part of the Air & Space Museum which most of us know in DC, and houses the Space Shuttle Discovery (YEAH!), SR71 Blackbird, Gemini 7, the B29 that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, a Concorde, and tons more.

I've been here twice. Anyone with an interest in aviation should go!

Re: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Bence Damokos

From what I hear, the last shuttle from the museum to the airport leaves sometime before the museum closes (it has extended opening times through the summer, but the bus company seems ignorant of that). Make sure you check the return schedule online or at the museum.

Best regards,

Bence

--
Sent from mobile

2012.07.14. 18:09, "Michael Peel" <[hidden email]> ezt írta:
I'm probably going to be going to Udvar-Hazy around midday on Sunday (after the comcom meeting on Sunday morning, before I fly out fairly early on Monday), returning to Washington when it closes at ~6.30pm. If anyone else is interested in going at these times, let me know.

It looks like the easiest way to get there via public transport is the Metrobus to Dulles (http://www.wmata.com/bus/ - 5A, from L'enfant Plaza to Dulles), and then there's a Loudon bus from Dulles to the Air and Space museum (route 83, http://www.vatransit.org/) - and back the same way.

Thanks,
Mike

On 14 Jul 2012, at 15:28, Manuel Schneider wrote:

> Am 2012-07-14 14:11, schrieb Andy Mabbett:
>> Id planned to do that on my way to the airport on Monday, but it seems
>> that they dont have a facility to leave luggage.
>
> there are at least two other people who want to go to the Air & Space Museum near the airport and I also have a flight on Monday evening and want to take my stuff to the airport, leave it somewhere there, see the museum, come back in the afternoon and check the luggage in.
>
> /Manuel
>
>> On Jul 14, 2012 7:48 AM, "Lori Phillips" <[hidden email]
>> [10]> wrote:
>>
>>> Local tip: You should definitely consider tagging along together
>>> with Rehman and going to the Udvar-Hazy.
>>>
>>> Its worth the trip out to Dulles, and perhaps may be something worth
>>> considering on the morning that you may leave for your flight, if
>>> your schedule allows. (The museum is located on the grounds of
>>> Dulles airport, but you do not have to drive into the main airport
>>> parking, etc., to get there, the entrance is elsewhere.)

> --
> Manuel Schneider
>
> Wikimedia CH - Gesellschaft zur Förderung freien Wissens
> www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Rehman Abubakr
Interested! :)

But I've heard that it takes almost 2hrs and quite some bucks to take public transport from DC to there. If you're interested, we could simply take a taxi. It takes about $74 one way though. If we could get a group of at least 3, it would be quite reasonable to take the taxi. Or if you dont like taxis, I dont have a problem with public transport ;)

I need to be back here by 17:00 (5pm) though, to start my trek back to NYC/JFK and then home. So we could take a taxi back as well.

I'm in HIDC room 505 if anyone is interested in grouping up for this. :)

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 18:09:18 -0400
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimania-l] Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)
>
> I'm probably going to be going to Udvar-Hazy around midday on Sunday (after the comcom meeting on Sunday morning, before I fly out fairly early on Monday), returning to Washington when it closes at ~6.30pm. If anyone else is interested in going at these times, let me know.
>
> It looks like the easiest way to get there via public transport is the Metrobus to Dulles (http://www.wmata.com/bus/ - 5A, from L'enfant Plaza to Dulles), and then there's a Loudon bus from Dulles to the Air and Space museum (route 83, http://www.vatransit.org/) - and back the same way.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> On 14 Jul 2012, at 15:28, Manuel Schneider wrote:
>
> > Am 2012-07-14 14:11, schrieb Andy Mabbett:
> >> Id planned to do that on my way to the airport on Monday, but it seems
> >> that they dont have a facility to leave luggage.
> >
> > there are at least two other people who want to go to the Air & Space Museum near the airport and I also have a flight on Monday evening and want to take my stuff to the airport, leave it somewhere there, see the museum, come back in the afternoon and check the luggage in.
> >
> > /Manuel

> > --
> > Manuel Schneider
> >
> > Wikimedia CH - Gesellschaft zur Förderung freien Wissens
> > www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (Air & Space Museum)

Gergő Tisza
On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM, Rehman Wikimedia <[hidden email]> wrote:
But I've heard that it takes almost 2hrs and quite some bucks to take public transport from DC to there. If you're interested, we could simply take a taxi. It takes about $74 one way though. If we could get a group of at least 3, it would be quite reasonable to take the taxi. Or if you dont like taxis, I dont have a problem with public transport ;)

Public transport is around $8 one way ($6 for the Metrobus, $0.25 for the museum shuttle plus whatever it takes to get to the Metrobus station), but it takes a lot of time (and, as Bence said, the museum shuttle doesn't travel after 17:00).