Steward election 2010

Shiju Alex
Hi All,

As all of you are aware, the steward elections (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/elections_2010) got over on Februray. Many of you might have cast your votes during this elections. The results are declared today.

I am extremely happy to inform all that, one of our colleague Jyothis (He is an active Malayalam Wikipedian), has been elected as a steward (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/elections_2010). He has received the second maximum percentage of votes among all the candidates who contested for the steward post.
I assume that he is first Indian language wikipedian elected to that post/usergroup.

For those who are not aware what is a steward is, the below definition from MetaWiki will help.

Stewards are users with complete access to the wiki interface on all Wikimedia wikis, including the ability to change any and all user rights and groups. They are tasked with technical implementation of community consensus, and dealing with emergencies (for example, cross-wiki vandalism). Stewards aim to make no decisions as stewards, but are empowered to act as a member of any permissions group on any project with no active member of that permissions group. For example: wikis without administrators may call upon stewards to fulfill that role; stewards will act as a bureaucrat as needed on wikis without bureaucrats.

As mentioned in his profile, he can speak 5 languages (Malayalam (his mother tongue), Tamil, Kannada, Hindi, and English) and read and write 3 languages (Malayalam, English, and Hindi).

As an Indian language wikian, he will be able to understand the technical problems that we face in Indic langauge wikis. He can surely support most of the Indian language Wikis.

I am extremely happy about the percentage of votes Jyothis recived, since rest of the wikians started noticing contributions from non-latin language wikis.

I wish him all the success.

Shiju Alex

Re: Steward election 2010

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Congratulations :)
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 9 March 2010 08:17, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

BalaSundaraRaman
Congrats, Jyotis! Your knowledge of multiple Indian languages will come in handy.

- Sundar

"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."

Re: Steward election 2010

Anirudh S. Bhati
Congratulations, Jyothis! :)

Yours sincerely,

Anirudh Singh Bhati
Student of Law, Gujarat National Law University,
Gandhinagar, India.

Handphone: +919328712208
Skype: anirudhsbh

Anyone who needs to be persuaded to be free, doesn’t deserve to be. —L. Neil Smith.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM, CherianTinu Abraham <[hidden email]> wrote:
Conratulations Jyothis. Well deserved

Thanks
Tinu Cherian

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM, BalaSundaraRaman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats, Jyotis! Your knowledge of multiple Indian languages will come in handy.

- Sundar

"That language is an instrument of human reason, and not merely a medium for the expression of thought, is a truth generally admitted."

Re: Steward election 2010

Hari Prasad Nadig-2
Congratulations!
Jyothis would surely be an asset as steward.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Anirudh Bhati <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congratulations, Jyothis! :)

[...]

--
Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net | http://twitter.com/hpnadig

Re: Steward election 2010

Arun Ramarathnam
Hi Jyothis,

Congratulations!
This is a commendable accomplishment.

Hopefully this will inspire more wikipedians from India to take up more governance roles in Wikipedia.

Best wishes and regards

Arun