Strategy: Best way to use customized wiki? UserSkin vs. Monobook

Strategy: Best way to use customized wiki? UserSkin vs. Monobook

elucubrator
thank you for taking the time - i try to be precise

Situation:
a) our task is to set up new wikis all the time which should be based on an individual design
b) my task is to provide the admins with a custom design
c) we have to handle all the future upgrades of wikimedia on all those wikis

Problem:
After initial fiddling with the monobook and cross browser problems i came up with a design on a working wiki.
Now the Admins need a "package" from me for further installations of new wikis.
They have to support those wikis and therefore they need to update/upgrade all those wikis.
We need the best strategy to create a custom design under this point of view.

Theory:
Obviously it is easier to re-install a user skin
than to sync all your individual changes with base design
after an regular upgrade of the wiki software
(which I will have to do on a growing number of wikis regularly)

Question:
I need to make sure, every user sees the customized design immediately.
a) Can I (and how do I) make a skin the default view for the wiki and
b) prevent the user from changing it

What I check so far:
a) I can completely disable user skins.
b) many people just do their changes on the monobook etc. -
but how do you handle the regular upgrades best then?
c) I understand I need to do a lot of cross browser compatibility fiddling :-(

Thanks for your input

RE: Strategy: Best way to use customized wiki? UserSkinvs. Monoboo

Ryan Hudy
To answer one of your questions, you can blacklist skins in an array like
so:

In LocalSettings - $wgSkipSkins = array(simple, monobook, chick,etc);

Include all the skin names, except for the one you want as the default, then
that skin will be used when the wiki is opened, and will be the only
slection available under Preferences->Skins

Ryan

>From: [hidden email]
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [Mediawiki-l] Strategy: Best way to use customized wiki?
>UserSkinvs. Monobook
>Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:28:07 +0100
>
>thank you for taking the time - i try to be precise
>
>Situation:
>a) our task is to set up new wikis all the time which should be based on an
>individual design
>b) my task is to provide the admins with a custom design
>c) we have to handle all the future upgrades of wikimedia on all those
>wikis
>
>Problem:
>After initial fiddling with the monobook and cross browser problems i came
>up with a design on a working wiki.
>Now the Admins need a "package" from me for further installations of new
>wikis.
>They have to support those wikis and therefore they need to update/upgrade
>all those wikis.
>We need the best strategy to create a custom design under this point of
>view.
>
>Theory:
>Obviously it is easier to re-install a user skin
>than to sync all your individual changes with base design
>after an regular upgrade of the wiki software
>(which I will have to do on a growing number of wikis regularly)
>
>Question:
>I need to make sure, every user sees the customized design immediately.
>a) Can I (and how do I) make a skin the default view for the wiki and
>b) prevent the user from changing it
>
>What I check so far:
>a) I can completely disable user skins.
>b) many people just do their changes on the monobook etc. -
>but how do you handle the regular upgrades best then?
>c) I understand I need to do a lot of cross browser compatibility fiddling
>:-(
>
>Thanks for your input

Re: Strategy: Best way to use customized wiki? UserSkin vs. Monobook

Rob Church
a. $wgDefaultSkin in LocalSettings.php.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:%24wgDefaultSkin for more details.

b. Remove all skins except that one. Make sure it's a "full" skin,
however, i.e. is correctly designed - see MonoBook.php for how our
skins work.

b(ii). Alternative: Hack SpecialPreferences.php and comment out the
line responsible for saving the user's new skin preference.

Rob Church