Stroopwafels

Lodewijk
Hi all,

many of you have been lucky enough to taste the stroopwafels I and several other dutchies have brought with us to Wikimania once again and which were surprisingly even available in the dorms!

If you like it, and feel you're getting addicted, we at Wikimedia offer you some mental support. We don't try to make you kick off, but it is always good to know you're not alone and that the others are with you. Please join the Association of Stroopwafel Addicts (ASA). If there is enough interest, we can try to organize next Wikimania a special ASA-Meeting. We have already 130 members - and would be delighted to welcome you too! If you have not tasted a Stroopwafel yet, but think you might get addicted if you would, you can become aspirant member.

Best regards,

Lodewijk Gelauff
founder

Re: Stroopwafels

Deryck Chan

I was lucky enough to find one stroopwafel left in Rapaport, and shared it with Josh (iirc). Good news: Jeromy found a place in Hong Kong where stroopwafels are sold.

On Aug 9, 2011 6:23 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> many of you have been lucky enough to taste the stroopwafels I and several
> other dutchies have brought with us to Wikimania once again and which were
> surprisingly even available in the dorms!
>
> If you like it, and feel you're getting addicted, we at Wikimedia offer you
> some mental support. We don't try to make you kick off, but it is always
> good to know you're not alone and that the others are with you. Please join
> the Association of Stroopwafel Addicts (ASA). If there is enough interest,
> we can try to organize next Wikimania a special ASA-Meeting. We have already
> 130 members - and would be delighted to welcome you too! If you have not
> tasted a Stroopwafel yet, but think you might get addicted if you would, you
> can become aspirant member.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lodewijk Gelauff
> founder
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts

Re: Stroopwafels

Josh Lim
Yeah, I remember that stroopwafel quite well. :))

Too bad Dutch stroopwafels aren't sold in the Philippines: we have plenty of Belgian ones here though.  But I got to buy seven boxes in Schiphol before boarding my flight to Manila. :D

Josh

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Block I1, AB Political Science
Major in Global Politics, Minor in Chinese Studies
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Vice-President (2011-2012), Wikimedia Philippines
Member, Ateneo Debate Society
Member, The Assembly
Member, Ateneo Lingua Ars Cultura

[hidden email] | +63 (927) 531-8301
Friendster/Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://akira123323.livejournal.com

I was lucky enough to find one stroopwafel left in Rapaport, and shared it with Josh (iirc). Good news: Jeromy found a place in Hong Kong where stroopwafels are sold.
On Aug 9, 2011 6:23 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> many of you have been lucky enough to taste the stroopwafels I and several
> other dutchies have brought with us to Wikimania once again and which were
> surprisingly even available in the dorms!
>
> If you like it, and feel you're getting addicted, we at Wikimedia offer you
> some mental support. We don't try to make you kick off, but it is always
> good to know you're not alone and that the others are with you. Please join
> the Association of Stroopwafel Addicts (ASA). If there is enough interest,
> we can try to organize next Wikimania a special ASA-Meeting. We have already
> 130 members - and would be delighted to welcome you too! If you have not
> tasted a Stroopwafel yet, but think you might get addicted if you would, you
> can become aspirant member.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lodewijk Gelauff
> founder
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts

Re: Stroopwafels

Joseph Ballesteros
There are Dutch stroopwafels in the Philippines.  I usually order them at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.

I was lucky enough to find one stroopwafel left in Rapaport, and shared it with Josh (iirc). Good news: Jeromy found a place in Hong Kong where stroopwafels are sold.
On Aug 9, 2011 6:23 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> many of you have been lucky enough to taste the stroopwafels I and several
> other dutchies have brought with us to Wikimania once again and which were
> surprisingly even available in the dorms!
>
> If you like it, and feel you're getting addicted, we at Wikimedia offer you
> some mental support. We don't try to make you kick off, but it is always
> good to know you're not alone and that the others are with you. Please join
> the Association of Stroopwafel Addicts (ASA). If there is enough interest,
> we can try to organize next Wikimania a special ASA-Meeting. We have already
> 130 members - and would be delighted to welcome you too! If you have not
> tasted a Stroopwafel yet, but think you might get addicted if you would, you
> can become aspirant member.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lodewijk Gelauff
> founder
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts

Re: Stroopwafels

Josh Lim
I don't remember seeing them at Coffee Bean. :|

Anyway, why don't you join the Association of Stroopwafel Addicts then, Jojit?  Like me! :P

Josh

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Block I1, AB Political Science
Major in Global Politics, Minor in Chinese Studies
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Vice-President (2011-2012), Wikimedia Philippines
Member, Ateneo Debate Society
Member, The Assembly
Member, Ateneo Lingua Ars Cultura

[hidden email] | +63 (927) 531-8301
Friendster/Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://akira123323.livejournal.com

There are Dutch stroopwafels in the Philippines.  I usually order them at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.

I was lucky enough to find one stroopwafel left in Rapaport, and shared it with Josh (iirc). Good news: Jeromy found a place in Hong Kong where stroopwafels are sold.
On Aug 9, 2011 6:23 PM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> many of you have been lucky enough to taste the stroopwafels I and several
> other dutchies have brought with us to Wikimania once again and which were
> surprisingly even available in the dorms!
>
> If you like it, and feel you're getting addicted, we at Wikimedia offer you
> some mental support. We don't try to make you kick off, but it is always
> good to know you're not alone and that the others are with you. Please join
> the Association of Stroopwafel Addicts (ASA). If there is enough interest,
> we can try to organize next Wikimania a special ASA-Meeting. We have already
> 130 members - and would be delighted to welcome you too! If you have not
> tasted a Stroopwafel yet, but think you might get addicted if you would, you
> can become aspirant member.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lodewijk Gelauff
> founder
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts

Re: Stroopwafels

Delphine Ménard
So, since I realized the poster does not give the full account of how
Stroopwafels came to be, here is the real history of Stroopwafels
entering the Wikimedia world. :)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts/The_real_history_of_Wikimedia%27s_crave_for_stroopwafels

Cheers :)

Delphine
--
@notafish

Re: Stroopwafels

Béria Lima
Talking about that: Where is the poster?
_____
Béria Lima
(351) 925 171 484

Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a fazer.

2011/8/10 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>
So, since I realized the poster does not give the full account of how
Stroopwafels came to be, here is the real history of Stroopwafels
entering the Wikimedia world. :)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts/The_real_history_of_Wikimedia%27s_crave_for_stroopwafels

Cheers :)

Delphine
--
@notafish

Re: Stroopwafels

Delphine Ménard
It's linked from the Association's page (at the bottom)

Delphine (too lazy to find the link)

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 3:34 PM, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Talking about that: Where is the poster?
> _____
> Béria Lima
> (351) 925 171 484
>
> Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre
> acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
> fazer.
>

> 2011/8/10 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>
>>
>> So, since I realized the poster does not give the full account of how
>> Stroopwafels came to be, here is the real history of Stroopwafels
>> entering the Wikimedia world. :)
>>

>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts/The_real_history_of_Wikimedia%27s_crave_for_stroopwafels
>>
>> Cheers :)
>>
>> Delphine
>> --
>> @notafish

>> lost.
>> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
>> http://blog.notanendive.org
>> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

@notafish

Re: Stroopwafels

Béria Lima
There are nothing there, only 2007 and 2008 (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts#Notes)

Someone find the poster please (and if possible send me some stroopwafels with it :) )
_____

Well, there were a submission (http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/Submissions/Stroopwafels) who got accepted, so i'm guessing there was a poster somewhere.
_____

On 10 August 2011 15:16, Josh Lim <[hidden email]> wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, there was no poster for this year, as well as last year and even two years ago.  Hope to see one next year! :P

Josh

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Block I1, AB Political Science
Major in Global Politics, Minor in Chinese Studies
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Vice-President (2011-2012), Wikimedia Philippines
Member, Ateneo Debate Society
Member, The Assembly
Member, Ateneo Lingua Ars Cultura

[hidden email] | <a href="tel:%2B63%20%28927%29%20531-8301" value="+639275318301" target="_blank">+63 (927) 531-8301
> [...]

> _____
> Béria Lima
> (351) 925 171 484
>
> Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre
> acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
> fazer.
>

> 2011/8/10 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>
>>
>> So, since I realized the poster does not give the full account of how
>> Stroopwafels came to be, here is the real history of Stroopwafels
>> entering the Wikimedia world. :)
>>

>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts/The_real_history_of_Wikimedia%27s_crave_for_stroopwafels
>>
>> Cheers :)
>>
>> Delphine
>> --
>> @notafish

>> lost.
>> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -

KIZU Naoko
On my capacity of ASA Asian (East?) branch representative, I'd love to
note two things, Itzik.

1) Now that you proved you have been so enthusiastic and have tried it
already, you are welcome to enroll on [[m:ASA]] in full membership.

2) Now Lodewijk said he had found somewhere (TLV? Haifa? He didn't
tell me the exact place) "kosher stroopwafel" - you may find them
somewhere near to you, not going so far to AMS or farther.

Cheers,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stroopwafels ! I remember I got notification that you came with the pack
> of stroopwafels, so I immediately dropped everything I did and ran to pick
> one (and that was left for me, only one!)
> :)
>
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> many of you have been lucky enough to taste the stroopwafels I and several
>> other dutchies have brought with us to Wikimania once again and which were
>> surprisingly even available in the dorms!
>> If you like it, and feel you're getting addicted, we at Wikimedia offer
>> you some mental support. We don't try to make you kick off, but it is always
>> good to know you're not alone and that the others are with you. Please join
>> the Association of Stroopwafel Addicts (ASA). If there is enough interest,
>> we can try to organize next Wikimania a special ASA-Meeting. We have already
>> 130 members - and would be delighted to welcome you too! If you have not
>> tasted a Stroopwafel yet, but think you might get addicted if you would, you
>> can become aspirant member.
>> Best regards,
>> Lodewijk Gelauff
>> founder
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: Stroopwafels

Lodewijk
Actually, they sold "kosher stroopwafels" (I am not familiar with kosher rules, but I cant find any way how stroopwafels would be unkosher based on their ingredients at least) at the Talia dorms! Also a supermarket in Haifa sold them.

Best,
Lodewijk

2011/8/11 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>
On my capacity of ASA Asian (East?) branch representative, I'd love to
note two things, Itzik.

1) Now that you proved you have been so enthusiastic and have tried it
already, you are welcome to enroll on [[m:ASA]] in full membership.

2) Now Lodewijk said he had found somewhere (TLV? Haifa? He didn't
tell me the exact place) "kosher stroopwafel" - you may find them
somewhere near to you, not going so far to AMS or farther.

Cheers,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Stroopwafels ! I remember I got notification that you came with the pack
> of stroopwafels, so I immediately dropped everything I did and ran to pick
> one (and that was left for me, only one!)
> :)
>
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> many of you have been lucky enough to taste the stroopwafels I and several
>> other dutchies have brought with us to Wikimania once again and which were
>> surprisingly even available in the dorms!
>> If you like it, and feel you're getting addicted, we at Wikimedia offer
>> you some mental support. We don't try to make you kick off, but it is always
>> good to know you're not alone and that the others are with you. Please join
>> the Association of Stroopwafel Addicts (ASA). If there is enough interest,
>> we can try to organize next Wikimania a special ASA-Meeting. We have already
>> 130 members - and would be delighted to welcome you too! If you have not
>> tasted a Stroopwafel yet, but think you might get addicted if you would, you
>> can become aspirant member.
>> Best regards,
>> Lodewijk Gelauff
>> founder
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Stroopwafel_Addicts

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: Stroopwafels

Deryck Chan

I think "kosher" stroopwafels mainly concern the handling of eggs and butter. Would someone fill us in about the details?

On Aug 11, 2011 11:51 AM, "Lodewijk" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Actually, they sold "kosher stroopwafels" (I am not familiar with kosher
> rules, but I cant find any way how stroopwafels would be unkosher based on
> their ingredients at least) at the Talia dorms! Also a supermarket in Haifa
> sold them.
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk
>
> 2011/8/11 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>
>
>> On my capacity of ASA Asian (East?) branch representative, I'd love to
>> note two things, Itzik.
>>
>> 1) Now that you proved you have been so enthusiastic and have tried it
>> already, you are welcome to enroll on [[m:ASA]] in full membership.
>>
>> 2) Now Lodewijk said he had found somewhere (TLV? Haifa? He didn't
>> tell me the exact place) "kosher stroopwafel" - you may find them
>> somewhere near to you, not going so far to AMS or farther.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Stroopwafels ! I remember I got notification that you came with the pack
>> > of stroopwafels, so I immediately dropped everything I did and ran to
>> pick
>> > one (and that was left for me, only one!)
>> > :)

>> several
>> were
>> always
>> join
>> interest,
>> already
>> you
>> >

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
>> member of Wikimedians in Kansai / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会
>> http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: Stroopwafels

KIZU Naoko
I saw "kosher ice cream" elsewhere - iirc if you "cook meat within
milk", it's not kosher anymore (sorry the exact passage slips on my
mind), and according to the common Judaism interpretation you don't
make a dish with milk and meat together (e.g. pizza with sausage is
not kosher). In my personal reflective assumption "kosher
stroopwafels" might mean it contains dairy but no meat at all; I doubt
if anyone has add meat in stroopwafels' recipe since its invention,
but same could be said on ice cream (or we have somewhere obscure spam
and spam and stroopwafels/ice cream or whatsoever?),

Cheers,

2011/8/11 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>:

> Actually, they sold "kosher stroopwafels" (I am not familiar with kosher
> rules, but I cant find any way how stroopwafels would be unkosher based on
> their ingredients at least) at the Talia dorms! Also a supermarket in Haifa
> sold them.
> Best,
> Lodewijk
>
> 2011/8/11 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On my capacity of ASA Asian (East?) branch representative, I'd love to
>> note two things, Itzik.
>>
>> 1) Now that you proved you have been so enthusiastic and have tried it
>> already, you are welcome to enroll on [[m:ASA]] in full membership.
>>
>> 2) Now Lodewijk said he had found somewhere (TLV? Haifa? He didn't
>> tell me the exact place) "kosher stroopwafel" - you may find them
>> somewhere near to you, not going so far to AMS or farther.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Stroopwafels ! I remember I got notification that you came with the pack
>> > of stroopwafels, so I immediately dropped everything I did and ran to
>> > pick
>> > one (and that was left for me, only one!)
>> > :)

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
>> member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会
>> http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: Stroopwafels

Thomas Dalton
2011/8/11 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>:
> I saw "kosher ice cream" elsewhere - iirc if you "cook meat within
> milk"

"Thou shalt not seethe a kid in its mother's milk." (Deuteronomy 14:21)

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_%28Jewish_Publication_Society_1917%29/Deuteronomy#Chapter_14

> (e.g. pizza with sausage is
> not kosher)

Especially if it's a pork sausage!

Re: Stroopwafels

Harel Cain
Kosher stroopwafels would mean for example that every single ingredient is kosher - that the milk is cow's milk and was not mixed with any kind of other milk, that the various additives and chemicals are not somehow made from pork fat (or any other non-kosher animal), that the various machines and tools were not used earlier for meat processing, and even that the stroopwafel was not made on Shabbat.

So it's more than the simple rule of mixing dairy with meat.

People who really keep kosher (Orthodox Jews) would look for the kosher certification on basically any kind of food they eat (except maybe for fresh fruit and vegetables).

People who keep kosher more "lightly" might make do with the knowledge that the stroopwafel recipe is per-se kosher, and would eat stroopwafels that are not kosher certified.

Harel

2011/8/12 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>
I saw "kosher ice cream" elsewhere - iirc if you "cook meat within
milk", it's not kosher anymore (sorry the exact passage slips on my
mind), and according to the common Judaism interpretation you don't
make a dish with milk and meat together (e.g. pizza with sausage is
not kosher). In my personal reflective assumption "kosher
stroopwafels" might mean it contains dairy but no meat at all; I doubt
if anyone has add meat in stroopwafels' recipe since its invention,
but same could be said on ice cream (or we have somewhere obscure spam
and spam and stroopwafels/ice cream or whatsoever?),

Cheers,

2011/8/11 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>:
> Actually, they sold "kosher stroopwafels" (I am not familiar with kosher
> rules, but I cant find any way how stroopwafels would be unkosher based on
> their ingredients at least) at the Talia dorms! Also a supermarket in Haifa
> sold them.
> Best,
> Lodewijk
>
> 2011/8/11 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On my capacity of ASA Asian (East?) branch representative, I'd love to
>> note two things, Itzik.
>>
>> 1) Now that you proved you have been so enthusiastic and have tried it
>> already, you are welcome to enroll on [[m:ASA]] in full membership.
>>
>> 2) Now Lodewijk said he had found somewhere (TLV? Haifa? He didn't
>> tell me the exact place) "kosher stroopwafel" - you may find them
>> somewhere near to you, not going so far to AMS or farther.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Stroopwafels ! I remember I got notification that you came with the pack
>> > of stroopwafels, so I immediately dropped everything I did and ran to
>> > pick
>> > one (and that was left for me, only one!)
>> > :)

>> --
>> KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
>> member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会
>> http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

Re: Stroopwafels

KIZU Naoko
Dear Harel,

would you please license your message under CC-BY-SA 3.0 unported /
GFDL dually so that we can migrate your mention to [[m:SAS]]?

(not mention to *wikipedia, I'm afraid if we wouldn't have agreed on
that wikimania-l is a reliable source)