Subscribe to Tech News via a web feed

Tomasz W. Kozłowski-2
Hi!
Just dropping a short note that it is now finally possible to
subscribe to the weekly Tech News bulletin[1] via a web feed to ensure
a smooth, hassle-free delivery of every issue to a news aggregator of
your choice.

You can subscribe to an Atom[2] or RSS[3] feed, which should deliver a
new issue at 00:00 UTC every Monday.

At this point, the feed only provides the English version of the
bulletin, so you'll need to click one of the links on top of the page
to read a version in a different language — if you think that a
per-language feed is a good idea, please let us know!

The feed is now also subscribed to the English Planet Wikimedia[4], so
if you get your Wikimedia news that way, you'll also see a new issue
of Tech News on the Planet every Monday.

Feedback and questions are welcome :-)

== References ==
* [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News
* [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/api.php?action=featuredfeed&feed=technews&feedformat=atomis
* [3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/api.php?action=featuredfeed&feed=technews&feedformat=rss
* [4] https://en.planet.wikimedia.org/

                Tomasz

Re: [Wikitech-ambassadors] Subscribe to Tech News via a web feed

Guillaume Paumier-3
Hi,

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Tomasz W. Kozłowski
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just dropping a short note that it is now finally possible to
> subscribe to the weekly Tech News bulletin[1] via a web feed to ensure
> a smooth, hassle-free delivery of every issue to a news aggregator of
> your choice.

\o/ This is fantastic. Thank you so much, again :)

> You can subscribe to an Atom[2] or RSS[3] feed, which should deliver a
> new issue at 00:00 UTC every Monday.

Small correction: the link for the Atom feed is
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/api.php?action=featuredfeed&feed=technews&feedformat=atom

--
Guillaume Paumier

Re: Subscribe to Tech News via a web feed

Antoine Musso-3
Le 18/04/2014 16:17, Tomasz W. Kozłowski a écrit :
> Just dropping a short note that it is now finally possible to
> subscribe to the weekly Tech News bulletin[1] via a web feed to ensure
> a smooth, hassle-free delivery of every issue to a news aggregator of
> your choice.
<snip>
> * [3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/api.php?action=featuredfeed&feed=technews&feedformat=rss

Thank you very much!

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso

Re: Subscribe to Tech News via a web feed

Thomas Gries
Am 18.04.2014 23:20, schrieb Antoine Musso:

> Le 18/04/2014 16:17, Tomasz W. Kozłowski a écrit :
>> Just dropping a short note that it is now finally possible to
>> subscribe to the weekly Tech News bulletin[1] via a web feed to ensure
>> a smooth, hassle-free delivery of every issue to a news aggregator of
>> your choice.
> <snip>
>> * [3]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/api.php?action=featuredfeed&feed=technews&feedformat=rss
>
> Thank you very much!

You should /change the order/ of the feed items to "most recent on top"
At the moment, the items are sorted old =>new

Re: Subscribe to Tech News via a web feed

Gryllida
On Sat, 19 Apr 2014, at 0:17, Tomasz W. Kozłowski wrote:
> [...]
> At this point, the feed only provides the English version of the
> bulletin, so you'll need to click one of the links on top of the page
> to read a version in a different language — if you think that a
> per-language feed is a good idea, please let us know!

Please.

Re: Subscribe to Tech News via a web feed

MZMcBride-2
Gryllida wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Apr 2014, at 0:17, Tomasz W. Kozłowski wrote:
>> [...]
>> At this point, the feed only provides the English version of the
>> bulletin, so you'll need to click one of the links on top of the page
>> to read a version in a different language — if you think that a
>> per-language feed is a good idea, please let us know!
>
>Please.

It looks like the FeaturedFeeds MediaWiki extension's featuredfeed Web API
module includes a language parameter already:

https://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php?action=help&modules=featuredfeed

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to set up individual language feeds
for the Tech News team, but the infrastructure necessary to do so seems to
be mostly in place already, which is really nice.

MZMcBride