Subversion coming

Brion Vibber
SourceForge has begun a beta rollout of Subversion version-control service. I've
signed us up for this, so at some point in the next few days hopefully we should
have source over in SVN instead of / in addition to CVS.

In addition to the general niceties of SVN (atomic multi-file commits!),
anonymous access will not be delayed as it is on SF's CVS. This means that
people who aren't signed up on our sourceforge project will now be able to get
commits immediately with a 'svn up'.

Subversion's command-line interface is mostly like CVS, so Unixy types shouldn't
have much trouble getting used to it. There's a TortoiseSVN for Windows types
who are used to TortoiseCVS.

Some docs:

https://sourceforge.net/docs/E09
https://sourceforge.net/docs/B01/en/#svn_client

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Subversion coming

Ashar Voultoiz-2
Brion Vibber wrote:

> SourceForge has begun a beta rollout of Subversion version-control service. I've
> signed us up for this, so at some point in the next few days hopefully we should
> have source over in SVN instead of / in addition to CVS.
>
> In addition to the general niceties of SVN (atomic multi-file commits!),
> anonymous access will not be delayed as it is on SF's CVS. This means that
> people who aren't signed up on our sourceforge project will now be able to get
> commits immediately with a 'svn up'.
>
> Subversion's command-line interface is mostly like CVS, so Unixy types shouldn't
> have much trouble getting used to it. There's a TortoiseSVN for Windows types
> who are used to TortoiseCVS.
>
> Some docs:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/docs/E09
> https://sourceforge.net/docs/B01/en/#svn_client

Good news! Do you have any idea about the directory tree we will use ? :o)

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Hashar

Re: Subversion coming

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
Update regarding this issue:

Brion had sourceforge begin a conversion of our cvs repository as
described here: https://sourceforge.net/docs/E09 . After that  I
downloaded our cvs tarball and tried to convert it to a subversion
dump locally with the steps described here:
http://kohl.wikimedia.org/~avar/cvs2svn . As you can see there's a
slight corruption in our repository which the sourceforge conversion
presumably stopped on (bug report filed by Brion here:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1407846&group_id=1&atid=596964
)

Having solved that I proceeded to import my local dump into a
subversion repository using the bdb filesystem, running into another
issue: http://kohl.wikimedia.org/~avar/svn2bdb (bug report filed by me
here: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1407877&group_id=1&atid=596964
), I then tried again with the fsfs filesystem which worked, but there
might still be some corruption.

Anyway I have my own publically accessable "fork" of the MediaWiki
repository available now at http://avar.lir.dk/mw_svn/ It's publically
+rw so feel free to play around with it if only to learn how
subversion operates. As a tribute to our two previous forks it's
called Ænotifwiki and you can only commit to it if you promise to obey
my coding style which is that you must use negative indentation, code
must be right-aligned at the 80th column. Also, all comments have to
be in either Hungarian or Klingon.

= Statistics
874M svn dump file
176M unpacked cvs repository
284M  fsfs filesystem
# of files in the fsfs filesystem: 25454

= How to get it running:

$ svn co http://avar.lir.dk/mw_svn/trunk/phase3

or

$ svn co http://avar.lir.dk/mw_svn/trunk

for the whole thing

then just modify something, "svn diff file" (no -u) and "svn ci file"

and of course there's other neat svn stuff, like every commit getting
a single revision (no more per-file-revisions,just try svn diff
-r12716:12717) and file properties etc.

Re: Subversion coming

Brion Vibber
Ok, SourceForge got our Subversion import done, but their notification hooks are
broken: commit mails don't include diffs, and they haven't allowed support for
the CIA notification bot yet. This makes it virtually impossible to follow what
changes your fellow developers are making.

When we get these resolved, we can patch in the remaining changes from CVS and
start using the SVN repo.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Subversion coming

Rob Church
So which do we commit to until then?

Rob Church

Rob Church wrote:
> So which do we commit to until then?

CVS.

You know, the one that I *didn't* just say we won't use until it's made usable. :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Subversion coming

Rob Church
OK, thanks. I was completely confused by the whole damn transition...

Rob Church