Successful scholarship applications

Deryck Chan
It's good that we're discussing the hurdle for someone to get their first scholarship to participate in Wikimania. In addition to the suggestions in the other thread, I'd like to lead an initiative to help future applicants who want their first-ever Wikimania scholarship.

As a successful Wikimania 2017 scholarship applicant, I'm publishing on-wiki all my answers to the scholarship application form, except personal information:

I encourage all other successful scholarship applicants to do the same. If you kept a draft of your application form, redact any personally identifiable information and publish it on wikimania2017wiki. This will help future scholarship applicants get a feeling of what the reviewers are looking for.

Deryck

Re: Successful scholarship applications

Gnangarra
Thank you for sharing, its never easy to open up about what you put in the application.  It will do a lot to help others learn from your experiences.

Enjoy your time in Montreal

On 24 May 2017 at 17:59, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's good that we're discussing the hurdle for someone to get their first scholarship to participate in Wikimania. In addition to the suggestions in the other thread, I'd like to lead an initiative to help future applicants who want their first-ever Wikimania scholarship.

As a successful Wikimania 2017 scholarship applicant, I'm publishing on-wiki all my answers to the scholarship application form, except personal information:

I encourage all other successful scholarship applicants to do the same. If you kept a draft of your application form, redact any personally identifiable information and publish it on wikimania2017wiki. This will help future scholarship applicants get a feeling of what the reviewers are looking for.

Deryck

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: Successful scholarship applications

derhexer-2
Thank you very much Deryck,

I'd suggest to add a section to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars for example, where all such applications could be linked so that they won't get lost in the wikimaniawiki pages. It could also be helpful for future reviewers to see what applications were successful the years before, hence could be linked on https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars/Reviewer%27s_guide as well. What do you think?

Best,
Martin

Re: Successful scholarship applications

Deryck Chan
Martin,

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe make it a 3-column wikitable {|-

! Username ! Link to application details (self-disclosed, optional) ! Link to report (compulsory after Wikimania)
|}

?
Deryck

On 24 May 2017 at 11:36, DerHexer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you very much Deryck,

I'd suggest to add a section to https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars for example, where all such applications could be linked so that they won't get lost in the wikimaniawiki pages. It could also be helpful for future reviewers to see what applications were successful the years before, hence could be linked on https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_scholars/Reviewer%27s_guide as well. What do you think?

Best,
Martin

Re: Successful scholarship applications

derhexer-2
Sounds good to me. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

?
Deryck

On 24 May 2017 at 11:36, DerHexer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you very much Deryck,

I'd suggest to add a section to https://meta.wikimedia.org/ wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_ scholars for example, where all such applications could be linked so that they won't get lost in the wikimaniawiki pages. It could also be helpful for future reviewers to see what applications were successful the years before, hence could be linked on https://meta.wikimedia.org/ wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_ scholars/Reviewer%27s_guide as well. What do you think?

Best,
Martin

Re: Successful scholarship applications

Amazon Sec. Team messages-noreply@amazon.com
Maybe instead of having dedicated pages, they can list the application details in the compulsory report, like... as an appendix?

Just thinking,
--
Yongmin
Sent from my iPhone

2017. 5. 24. 23:30 DerHexer <[hidden email]> 작성:

?
Deryck

On 24 May 2017 at 11:36, DerHexer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thank you very much Deryck,

I'd suggest to add a section to https://meta.wikimedia.org/ wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_ scholars for example, where all such applications could be linked so that they won't get lost in the wikimaniawiki pages. It could also be helpful for future reviewers to see what applications were successful the years before, hence could be linked on https://meta.wikimedia.org/ wiki/Grants:TPS/Wikimania_ scholars/Reviewer%27s_guide as well. What do you think?

Best,
Martin

Re: Successful scholarship applications

Gnangarra
Yongmin

That is a good idea as it help prompt people in writing their report and we could see a person expectation about attending compared to the initial impact of attending.  In my opinion the reporting post Wikimania is to close to truly reflect its impact of attending, it needs to be done 6 months after at the earliest.

Digress: It'd be interesting to see a study done that asks the recipients questions before attending, while there, just after, and 12-18 months to get an understanding of the impact.

?