Suggestions for Merchandise

Richard Symonds-3

All,

I’m looking into replenishing the chapter’s supplies of merchandise, but rather than the standard fare of key rings and stress balls, I’m wondering if there’s any interesting requests people have. Obviously, we’re constrained by cost, but if you’ve got any ideas, I’d love to hear them. Some suggestions that have already been made –

·         Badges printed with the QR code for the Wikipedia page on QR Codes

·         Wikipedia logo-shaped cookie-cutters

·         Merchandise printed with Wikipedia memes such as [citation needed], [edit], or maybe phrases like “Wiki Loves Museums” or “I Write Wikipedia”

·         Business card-size cards with DYKs printed on them

We’re looking for things that’ll be easily understandable by the general public – something that would make the average person want to edit. That said, feel free to make any suggestions, even if you think they might be unworkable – they might be usable in future campaigns or as part of a bigger project.

All the best,

Richard

___________________

Richard Symonds

Office Administrator

Wikimedia UK

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

Andrew Gray-3
On 12 September 2011 15:41, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> ·         Merchandise printed with Wikipedia memes such as [citation
> needed], [edit], or maybe phrases like “Wiki Loves Museums” or “I Write
> Wikipedia”

I have been asked on many occasions why there aren't [citation needed]
stickers. (Really, I have. Yes, it worries me too.) I suspect there is
a good market here on purely commercial terms...

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

Bod Notbod
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Richard Symonds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m looking into replenishing the chapter’s supplies of merchandise, but
> rather than the standard fare of key rings and stress balls...

We have those, then?

The wiki page only mentions T-shirts but the page hasn't been edited since 2009:

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Merchandise

Looks like it could use some TLC.

I like Andrew's 'citation needed' sticker idea.

But am I to take it the merchandise will have "UK" on it (not for cn
stickers, I don't think that would work)? Because Wikimedia already
has quite a range of stuff, doesn't it, available online? So are you
thinking of UK specific things to take to events etc? Or should UK
have its own online shop?

Bodnotbod

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

Richard Symonds-2
I'm just asking for ideas for merchandise to take to events - not for sale.
We'd take them to GLAM events, displays at Universities, talks at museums
and so on and so forth. The logos would not need - as far as I know - to
have "UK" on them, but I'm just after ideas at present.

That said, we can worry about the specific legalities later - I don't want
to get bogged down in them now. I'm hoping for some blue-sky ideas. If you
could hand something to someone in the street - one thing - that would make
them edit Wikipedia, what would you like it to be? Something that makes the
person go "hmmm..." or "ooh!"...

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking into replenishing the chapter's supplies of merchandise, but
> rather than the standard fare of key rings and stress balls...

We have those, then?

The wiki page only mentions T-shirts but the page hasn't been edited since
2009:

http://uk.wikimedia.org/wiki/Merchandise

Looks like it could use some TLC.

I like Andrew's 'citation needed' sticker idea.

But am I to take it the merchandise will have "UK" on it (not for cn
stickers, I don't think that would work)? Because Wikimedia already
has quite a range of stuff, doesn't it, available online? So are you
thinking of UK specific things to take to events etc? Or should UK
have its own online shop?

Bodnotbod

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

Andy Mabbett-2
It's useful - and engenders goodwill - to have things to give away at
events; especially button badges and stickers (geeks love stickers,
for their laptops). It's also useful to have a few, slightly more
valuable items, which can be given away in limited quantities, as spot
prizes.

I like the idea of badges/ stickers with phrases like "citation
needed", etc. and perhaps also "{{fact}}".

Please note, though, that my suggestion was for badges with the
QRpedia code for the article on QRpedia;  not a generic code for the
one on QR codes in general.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>

> I’m looking into replenishing the chapter’s supplies of merchandise, but
> rather than the standard fare of key rings and stress balls, I’m wondering
> if there’s any interesting requests people have. Obviously, we’re
> constrained by cost, but if you’ve got any ideas, I’d love to hear them.
> Some suggestions that have already been made –
>

> ·         Badges printed with the QR code for the Wikipedia page on QR Codes
>
> ·         Wikipedia logo-shaped cookie-cutters
>
> ·         Merchandise printed with Wikipedia memes such as [citation
> needed], [edit], or maybe phrases like “Wiki Loves Museums” or “I Write
> Wikipedia”
>
> ·         Business card-size cards with DYKs printed on them
>

> We’re looking for things that’ll be easily understandable by the general
> public – something that would make the average person want to edit. That
> said, feel free to make any suggestions, even if you think they might be
> unworkable – they might be usable in future campaigns or as part of a bigger
> project.
>

> All the best,
>

> Richard
>
> ___________________
>
> Richard Symonds
>
> Office Administrator
>
> Wikimedia UK

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

Richard Symonds-2
My apologies Andy!

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>

> I’m looking into replenishing the chapter’s supplies of merchandise, but
> rather than the standard fare of key rings and stress balls, I’m wondering
> if there’s any interesting requests people have. Obviously, we’re
> constrained by cost, but if you’ve got any ideas, I’d love to hear them.
> Some suggestions that have already been made –
>

> ·         Badges printed with the QR code for the Wikipedia page on QR
Codes

> ·         Wikipedia logo-shaped cookie-cutters
>
> ·         Merchandise printed with Wikipedia memes such as [citation
> needed], [edit], or maybe phrases like “Wiki Loves Museums” or “I Write
> Wikipedia”
>
> ·         Business card-size cards with DYKs printed on them
>

> We’re looking for things that’ll be easily understandable by the general
> public – something that would make the average person want to edit. That
> said, feel free to make any suggestions, even if you think they might be
> unworkable – they might be usable in future campaigns or as part of a
bigger

> project.
>

> All the best,
>

> Richard
>
> ___________________
>
> Richard Symonds
>
> Office Administrator
>
> Wikimedia UK

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

WereSpielChequers-2
Hi Richard,

Do you know which sort of distribution media you were thinking of for this merchandise, the target markets and what sort of messages and budgets?

Also is this for WMUK promotion or fundraising?

A few ideas I'd love to see tried once we are a registered charity are:

Promotional:

Mousemats and mugs are two of the best ways of getting a longterm marketing message into people's homes and offices.

for new/potential editors

Mousemats are unlikely to break in the post, there is a natural affinity between Wkimedia and your mousemat, (subconsciously our supporters will like to have their mouse moving round on a WMUK mousemat); Mousemats are a really convenient place to have a list of Wikimedia projects  and a one liner - "you've probably already tried out our encyclopaedia www.wikipedia.org, but have you also visited:

www.wiktionary.org our online dictionary"
etc etc

For experienced editors just the logo and a jumble of different vaguely familiar templates and codes {{fact}} #redirect [[target]] etc etc

Mugs are a bit more expensive to post and have less room for printing than a mousemat, but a mug is possibly the most effective way to get your brand and a short message circulating for yonks round an office or staffroom.  "Warm thanks from Wikimedia for supporting us through payroll giving" with Wikipedia, Wiktionary etc listed in a smaller font would make for a great promotional mug design, and I suspect quite a few people would email in for one if we asked our donors "Have you asked your Payroll department to sign you up for our payroll giving campaign yet? If so please us  your name, address and Postcode to get a free mug for your staffroom or office kitchen."

I worry about [Citation needed] stickers, it would be just too <s>tempting</s> easy to apply them while going up escalators. Might make good novelty cufflinks though.

Tshirts also have their drawbacks, not least because you need lots of different sizes and both male and female shapes.

I'd also be cautious about pens. Aside from the wikileaks connotations, they have less space for logos and messages than mousemats and are less likely to be communal and therefore widely seen than mugs. Any pen good enough not to look like a cheap charity pen gives an overly profligate look to the charity that gives it away, and any pen that looks appropriately cheap risks leaking and doing your image more harm than good.

On the fundraising side, once we are a registered charity we will be in a lovely position to supply some feel good gifts for that always difficult Dad market. Most obviously through charity calenders - I'd love to see Majestic Titan in calender form. But Mousemats and mugs work here as well, though obviously with more of a quality picture and less marketing than the free promotional ones. Calenders have the disadvantage of being a somewhat seasonal and highly perishable product, so I'd be cautious unless we can do a deal with whoever gets the racks of charity calenders into WH Smith etc each Christmas. Mugs and mousemats can if over ordered be stored for years before being handed out, and at any time of year would make great gifts for curators etc at GLAM events (especially as they are low enough in value that even in most Public sector organisations they don't have to be declared as gifts).

Another fun one would be flipflops especially as a great early summer gift for the campus ambassador program to hand out to students. But I don't know what the costs are here, especially if you want special [citation needed] tread ones.

Hope that's of interest

WereSpielChequers

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That said, we can worry about the specific legalities later - I don't want
> to get bogged down in them now.

The idea that there may even be any sort of legal dimension hadn't
occurred in even the most over-active and alert synapses of my fevered
brain! So, I don't know how I managed to plant that seed...

No, I was just trying to picture the merchandise, so whether it was
going to have a UK mention on it or just be plain Wikimedia was about
picturing it.

> I'm hoping for some blue-sky ideas. If you
> could hand something to someone in the street - one thing - that would make
> them edit Wikipedia, what would you like it to be? Something that makes the
> person go "hmmm..." or "ooh!"...

WereSpiel's ideas of mousemats and mugs are tried and tested but I
think none the worse for that. If it were within our abilities to
revolutionise merchandising I suspect we'd be typing our emails on
solid gold keyboards.

But, OK, blue-sky and would really "make me edit"?

I think the one thing that would most make me want to edit would be to
see something wrong or that I disagreed with. So it could be a typo.
You'd have a badge saying "this is a badje [edit]" or "this is a
quayring [edit]" or "this is a mugg [edit]".

Or, more provocatvely, "Margaret Thatcher was the world's most
compassionate woman. [edit]" or "Wayne Rooney deserves every penny he
gets. [edit]". The trick with those, though, is identifying people who
are likely to disagree.

Some places do promotional USB drives now. I'm trying to think what
one could pre-load them with, but I'm coming up blank. Maybe it could
have all of Wikipedia's unusual articles on as seen here...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WEIRD

Bod

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

george.watson

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > That said, we can worry about the specific legalities later - I don't want
> > to get bogged down in them now.
>
> The idea that there may even be any sort of legal dimension hadn't
> occurred in even the most over-active and alert synapses of my fevered
> brain! So, I don't know how I managed to plant that seed...
>
> No, I was just trying to picture the merchandise, so whether it was
> going to have a UK mention on it or just be plain Wikimedia was about
> picturing it.
>
> > I'm hoping for some blue-sky ideas. If you
> > could hand something to someone in the street - one thing - that would make
> > them edit Wikipedia, what would you like it to be? Something that makes the
> > person go "hmmm..." or "ooh!"...
>
> WereSpiel's ideas of mousemats and mugs are tried and tested but I
> think none the worse for that. If it were within our abilities to
> revolutionise merchandising I suspect we'd be typing our emails on
> solid gold keyboards.
>
> But, OK, blue-sky and would really "make me edit"?
>
> I think the one thing that would most make me want to edit would be to
> see something wrong or that I disagreed with. So it could be a typo.
> You'd have a badge saying "this is a badje [edit]" or "this is a
> quayring [edit]" or "this is a mugg [edit]".
>
> Or, more provocatvely, "Margaret Thatcher was the world's most
> compassionate woman. [edit]" or "Wayne Rooney deserves every penny he
> gets. [edit]". The trick with those, though, is identifying people who
> are likely to disagree.
>
> Some places do promotional USB drives now. I'm trying to think what
> one could pre-load them with, but I'm coming up blank. Maybe it could
> have all of Wikipedia's unusual articles on as seen here...?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WEIRD
>
> Bod

The biggest problem with that is NPOV - something like that implies that
WMUK supports the opposite position (i.e., Thatcher lacked compassion,
Rooney doesn't deserve his money). That perhaps isn't what we want.

It might also be a good idea to look at producing merchandise for other
projects as well - they could do with the exposure more than enWP, I'm
sure.

George Watson
<http://dendodge.me>

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

Rod Ward
I'm always a sucker for peens, mugs, mousemats, t-shirts etc & students even
more so however..

I don't know how feasible it is but could the item (either hardcopy or on
usb stick etc) be customised to be related to the event/venue/organisation
eg if it were a GLAM meeting with WP:Somerset & the Museum of Somerset
(topically as the museums reopens this month & we'd like to do a joint
meeting) then the handouts would include a copy of the current article on
the museum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Somerset) or some of
their exhibits (eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frome_Hoard )  - but with
markup which says "citation needed", "expand" or whatever included. If it
was being held in a town or city then the article for that location could be
used. If a group eg BCS then use
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Computer_Society. If a speaker or
organiser of the event has an article then that could be included.

Probably much too much work - but blue skies

Rod

wrote:

> That said, we can worry about the specific legalities later - I don't want
> to get bogged down in them now.

The idea that there may even be any sort of legal dimension hadn't
occurred in even the most over-active and alert synapses of my fevered
brain! So, I don't know how I managed to plant that seed...

No, I was just trying to picture the merchandise, so whether it was
going to have a UK mention on it or just be plain Wikimedia was about
picturing it.

> I'm hoping for some blue-sky ideas. If you
> could hand something to someone in the street - one thing - that would
make
> them edit Wikipedia, what would you like it to be? Something that makes
the
> person go "hmmm..." or "ooh!"...

WereSpiel's ideas of mousemats and mugs are tried and tested but I
think none the worse for that. If it were within our abilities to
revolutionise merchandising I suspect we'd be typing our emails on
solid gold keyboards.

But, OK, blue-sky and would really "make me edit"?

I think the one thing that would most make me want to edit would be to
see something wrong or that I disagreed with. So it could be a typo.
You'd have a badge saying "this is a badje [edit]" or "this is a
quayring [edit]" or "this is a mugg [edit]".

Or, more provocatvely, "Margaret Thatcher was the world's most
compassionate woman. [edit]" or "Wayne Rooney deserves every penny he
gets. [edit]". The trick with those, though, is identifying people who
are likely to disagree.

Some places do promotional USB drives now. I'm trying to think what
one could pre-load them with, but I'm coming up blank. Maybe it could
have all of Wikipedia's unusual articles on as seen here...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WEIRD

Bod

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

HJ Mitchell
How about t-shirts or something that encourage people to upload their images to Commons? I've long thought that more people *would* if they knew about it.

Harry

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > That said, we can worry about the specific legalities later - I don't want
> > to get bogged down in them now.
>
> The idea that there may even be any sort of legal dimension hadn't
> occurred in even the most over-active and alert synapses of my fevered
> brain! So, I don't know how I managed to plant that seed...
>
> No, I was just trying to picture the merchandise, so whether it was
> going to have a UK mention on it or just be plain Wikimedia was about
> picturing it.
>
> > I'm hoping for some blue-sky ideas. If you
> > could hand something to someone in the street - one thing - that would make
> > them edit Wikipedia, what would you like it to be? Something that makes the
> > person go "hmmm..." or "ooh!"...
>
> WereSpiel's ideas of mousemats and mugs are tried and tested but I
> think none the worse for that. If it were within our abilities to
> revolutionise merchandising I suspect we'd be typing our emails on
> solid gold keyboards.
>
> But, OK, blue-sky and would really "make me edit"?
>
> I think the one thing that would most make me want to edit would be to
> see something wrong or that I disagreed with. So it could be a typo.
> You'd have a badge saying "this is a badje [edit]" or "this is a
> quayring [edit]" or "this is a mugg [edit]".
>
> Or, more provocatvely, "Margaret Thatcher was the world's most
> compassionate woman. [edit]" or "Wayne Rooney deserves every penny he
> gets. [edit]". The trick with those, though, is identifying people who
> are likely to disagree.
>
> Some places do promotional USB drives now. I'm trying to think what
> one could pre-load them with, but I'm coming up blank. Maybe it could
> have all of Wikipedia's unusual articles on as seen here...?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WEIRD
>
> Bod

The biggest problem with that is NPOV - something like that implies that
WMUK supports the opposite position (i.e., Thatcher lacked compassion,
Rooney doesn't deserve his money). That perhaps isn't what we want.

It might also be a good idea to look at producing merchandise for other
projects as well - they could do with the exposure more than enWP, I'm
sure.

George Watson
<http://dendodge.me>

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

Richard Symonds-2

Tshirts are good, but you do have to get every size, and invariably there’ll be loads of “extra extra” sizes left over. Something that’d encourage people to upload to commons would be good though – I did get a WM Commons Christmas card last year from Mr Forrester! Postcards would be cheap, easy to make, and we’ve got some wonderful pictures. But would they be good at getting people to upload?

PS – I’m loving these ideas. Flip-flops especially!

How about t-shirts or something that encourage people to upload their images to Commons? I've long thought that more people *would* if they knew about it.

Harry

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 5:00 PM, Richard Symonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > That said, we can worry about the specific legalities later - I don't want
> > to get bogged down in them now.
>
> The idea that there may even be any sort of legal dimension hadn't
> occurred in even the most over-active and alert synapses of my fevered
> brain! So, I don't know how I managed to plant that seed...
>
> No, I was just trying to picture the merchandise, so whether it was
> going to have a UK mention on it or just be plain Wikimedia was about
> picturing it.
>
> > I'm hoping for some blue-sky ideas. If you
> > could hand something to someone in the street - one thing - that would make
> > them edit Wikipedia, what would you like it to be? Something that makes the
> > person go "hmmm..." or "ooh!"...
>
> WereSpiel's ideas of mousemats and mugs are tried and tested but I
> think none the worse for that. If it were within our abilities to
> revolutionise merchandising I suspect we'd be typing our emails on
> solid gold keyboards.
>
> But, OK, blue-sky and would really "make me edit"?
>
> I think the one thing that would most make me want to edit would be to
> see something wrong or that I disagreed with. So it could be a typo.
> You'd have a badge saying "this is a badje [edit]" or "this is a
> quayring [edit]" or "this is a mugg [edit]".
>
> Or, more provocatvely, "Margaret Thatcher was the world's most
> compassionate woman. [edit]" or "Wayne Rooney deserves every penny he
> gets. [edit]". The trick with those, though, is identifying people who
> are likely to disagree.
>
> Some places do promotional USB drives now. I'm trying to think what
> one could pre-load them with, but I'm coming up blank. Maybe it could
> have all of Wikipedia's unusual articles on as seen here...?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WEIRD
>
> Bod

The biggest problem with that is NPOV - something like that implies that
WMUK supports the opposite position (i.e., Thatcher lacked compassion,
Rooney doesn't deserve his money). That perhaps isn't what we want.

It might also be a good idea to look at producing merchandise for other
projects as well - they could do with the exposure more than enWP, I'm
sure.

George Watson
<http://dendodge.me>

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

HJ Mitchell
I don't know how much use postcards, even Wikimedia postcards, would get, but some of the Commons POTYs would be great for that kind of thing. How we get past "look at the pretty picture" to "upload your own", I'm not sure.

In my (relatively limited) experience, it's not the smallest sizes that are left over! ;) What else makes a good platform for advertising Commons?

Harry

> [...]

> Or, more provocatvely, "Margaret Thatcher was the world's most
> compassionate woman. [edit]" or "Wayne Rooney deserves every penny he
> gets. [edit]". The trick with those, though, is identifying people who
> are likely to disagree.
>
> Some places do promotional USB drives now. I'm trying to think what
> one could pre-load them with, but I'm coming up blank. Maybe it could
> have all of Wikipedia's unusual articles on as seen here...?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WEIRD
>
> Bod

The biggest problem with that is NPOV - something like that implies that
WMUK supports the opposite position (i.e., Thatcher lacked compassion,
Rooney doesn't deserve his money). That perhaps isn't what we want.

It might also be a good idea to look at producing merchandise for other
projects as well - they could do with the exposure more than enWP, I'm

iain.macdonald

Add a 'your pic here' line under the postcard photo?

Might it be possible, also, to arrange people - retailers, say - to order themselves ANY Commons image with that tagline beneath as a postcard? Maybe have images verified first somehow, to prevent copyright abuse. Massive infrastructure and time work, but blue sky and all that.

Iain
> [...]

> Or, more provocatvely, "Margaret Thatcher was the world's most
> compassionate woman. [edit]" or "Wayne Rooney deserves every penny he
> gets. [edit]". The trick with those, though, is identifying people who
> are likely to disagree.
>
> Some places do promotional USB drives now. I'm trying to think what
> one could pre-load them with, but I'm coming up blank. Maybe it could
> have all of Wikipedia's unusual articles on as seen here...?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WEIRD
>
> Bod

The biggest problem with that is NPOV - something like that implies that
WMUK supports the opposite position (i.e., Thatcher lacked compassion,
Rooney doesn't deserve his money). That perhaps isn't what we want.

It might also be a good idea to look at producing merchandise for other
projects as well - they could do with the exposure more than enWP, I'm

Gordon Joly
On 12/09/2011 17:00, Richard Symonds wrote:
> I'm just asking for ideas for merchandise to take to events - not for sale.
Ah. That word "merchandise"..... what you would expect to be connected
with a merchant?

Gordo

--

Gordon Joly
[hidden email]

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

Andy Mabbett-2
BTW, at the recent meting in Derby, I mentioned a supplier, Badges for Bands;

    http://www.badgesforbands.com/

I've no connection with them, and haven't even used them, but have
heard good things from those who have.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>

> I’m looking into replenishing the chapter’s supplies of merchandise, but
> rather than the standard fare of key rings and stress balls, I’m wondering
> if there’s any interesting requests people have. Obviously, we’re
> constrained by cost, but if you’ve got any ideas, I’d love to hear them.
> Some suggestions that have already been made –
>

> ·         Badges printed with the QR code for the Wikipedia page on QR Codes
>
> ·         Wikipedia logo-shaped cookie-cutters
>
> ·         Merchandise printed with Wikipedia memes such as [citation
> needed], [edit], or maybe phrases like “Wiki Loves Museums” or “I Write
> Wikipedia”
>
> ·         Business card-size cards with DYKs printed on them
>

> We’re looking for things that’ll be easily understandable by the general
> public – something that would make the average person want to edit. That
> said, feel free to make any suggestions, even if you think they might be
> unworkable – they might be usable in future campaigns or as part of a bigger
> project.
>

> All the best,
>

> Richard
>
> ___________________
>
> Richard Symonds
>
> Office Administrator
>
> Wikimedia UK

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

On 12 September 2011 21:28, Harry Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know how much use postcards, even Wikimedia postcards, would get,
> but some of the Commons POTYs would be great for that kind of thing. How we
> get past "look at the pretty picture" to "upload your own", I'm not sure.
> In my (relatively limited) experience, it's not the smallest sizes that are
> left over! ;) What else makes a good platform for advertising Commons?

Some "mosaic" Commons postcards (possibly from WMDE?) were floating
around at Wikimania, and were very popular - well, they vanished fast,
anyway. In my experience, a lot of people take these to be pretty
pictures to put somewhere rather than to use as postcards qua
postcards, which is fair enough, but perhaps we could capitalise on
this.

If they're not actually using the back, we don't need to leave it
blank - so why not pre-print it with a message?

Some options:

a) a quick guide to uploading to Commons, in two or three steps.
b) ditto for creating an enwiki (or other project) account.
c) a general introduction to free content.
d) the story of the image.

The latter requires careful research and selection, but is potentially
very impressive if we do it right -

"This picture of a sycamore was taken on June 2008 by Maria, a German
Wikipedia editor in Munich. Since then, it's been used to illustrate
48 articles in 36 different language editions of  Wikipedia, where
it's been seen well over four hundred thousand times. It's used in
over a hundred other websites as a stock photograph, and has appeared
in a magazine and a children's schoolbook."

- and it should be fairly easy to follow that with a message of "you
can really contribute something worthwhile"!

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

Richard Symonds-3
+1. I very much like this idea! Does anyone know who set that up/who was in
charge of that idea?

On 12 September 2011 21:28, Harry Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't know how much use postcards, even Wikimedia postcards, would get,
> but some of the Commons POTYs would be great for that kind of thing. How
we
> get past "look at the pretty picture" to "upload your own", I'm not sure.
> In my (relatively limited) experience, it's not the smallest sizes that
are
> left over! ;) What else makes a good platform for advertising Commons?

Some "mosaic" Commons postcards (possibly from WMDE?) were floating
around at Wikimania, and were very popular - well, they vanished fast,
anyway. In my experience, a lot of people take these to be pretty
pictures to put somewhere rather than to use as postcards qua
postcards, which is fair enough, but perhaps we could capitalise on
this.

If they're not actually using the back, we don't need to leave it
blank - so why not pre-print it with a message?

Some options:

a) a quick guide to uploading to Commons, in two or three steps.
b) ditto for creating an enwiki (or other project) account.
c) a general introduction to free content.
d) the story of the image.

The latter requires careful research and selection, but is potentially
very impressive if we do it right -

"This picture of a sycamore was taken on June 2008 by Maria, a German
Wikipedia editor in Munich. Since then, it's been used to illustrate
48 articles in 36 different language editions of  Wikipedia, where
it's been seen well over four hundred thousand times. It's used in
over a hundred other websites as a stock photograph, and has appeared
in a magazine and a children's schoolbook."

- and it should be fairly easy to follow that with a message of "you
can really contribute something worthwhile"!

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: Suggestions for Merchandise

WereSpielChequers-2
I'm not convinced that Postcards are that big an opportunity, unlike Xmas cards there isn't a tradition of buying charity ones. I'm sure we could do an awesome pack of  "seasonal greetings cards" and there is a well developed infrastructure around that for us to get into.

Where there may well be a gap in the market for Postcards is for many local areas with a little bit of tourism but not enough to support Postcard production in the era of high volume printing. So tourists to London can find Postcards of Big Ben and Tower bridge in hundreds of outlets. But the combination of Commons as source of images and the revolution in print economics does give us the opportunity to create a Postcard service. I don't know what the minimum economic run would be for it to be interesting,  but I suspect it would be within reach of some individual shops. I'm thinking in terms of a webservice that allows people to say where they are and offers local pictures (from commons) but with a category and search based option that gives access to everything else. This could let people choose a bunch of designs and volumes, and buy by credit card or Paypal with delivery by Post.

The only drawback, and it is a big one, is that anyone could launch a rival service and undercut us. Unlike Xmas cards there is no tradition of choosing charity ones where it comes to Postcards.

Regards

WSC

On 13 September 2011 00:34, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> Or, more provocatvely, "Margaret Thatcher was the world's most
> compassionate woman. [edit]" or "Wayne Rooney deserves every penny he
> gets. [edit]". The trick with those, though, is identifying people who
> are likely to disagree.
>
> Some places do promotional USB drives now. I'm trying to think what
> one could pre-load them with, but I'm coming up blank. Maybe it could
> have all of Wikipedia's unusual articles on as seen here...?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WEIRD
>
> Bod

The biggest problem with that is NPOV - something like that implies that
WMUK supports the opposite position (i.e., Thatcher lacked compassion,
Rooney doesn't deserve his money). That perhaps isn't what we want.

It might also be a good idea to look at producing merchandise for other
projects as well - they could do with the exposure more than enWP, I'm

Wikimedia Christmas cards using seasonal Commons images are a good idea. Ditto the charity calendars idea. If we want those available for this Christmas, though, we'd probably need to get the ball rolling (however one does that, it's not my area of expertise) fairly soon.

Harry