Suiss language for SMW

Michael Erdmann

Hi,

Currently SMW does not support Suisse-German (de-ch) it falls back to English in that case and uses namespaces such as Property. Ideally it should fall back to German instead.

I want to add the Suiss-German language to SMW and also did this locally by adding de-ch message-file to the I18N folder. I do have a translate-wiki account  but have no idea how to add a new language to the translate-wiki project SMW.

Can anyone do this for me, or tell me how to proceed.

thx,

  michael

Re: Suiss language for SMW

kghbln
Heiya,

probably it is just a matter of adding something like this [0] for
de-ch. I just switched my test wiki to de-ch but the namespaces appear
to be the same so I cannot replicate the behaviour you are describing.
de-ch should fallback to de(-de) as de-formal does. Still namespaces may
probably behave differently to regular system messages as described
below. There was some canonical namespace stuff talked about somewhere
here on the list or on GitHub.

However, then it comes to adding de-ch go to the translation interface
for Semantic MediaWiki, switch the language setting on the top right to
de-ch and start translating. It should look like [1]. Alternatively just
set your language preference on the wiki to de-ch and you should
automatically get de-ch on the translation interface. Just only
translate the messages which are different to de(-de) since there is a
fallback from de-ch to de(-de) in place.

Cheers Karsten

[0]
https://github.com/SemanticMediaWiki/SemanticMediaWiki/blob/master/languages/SMW_LanguageDe_formal.php
[1]
https://translatewiki.net/w/i.php?title=Special:Translate&group=ext-semanticmediawiki&language=de-ch&filter=&action=translate

Am 12.01.2016 um 12:24 schrieb Michael Erdmann:

> Hi,
>
> Currently SMW does not support Suisse-German (de-ch) it falls back to
> English in that case and uses namespaces such as Property. Ideally it
> should fall back to German instead.
>
> I want to add the Suiss-German language to SMW and also did this locally
> by adding de-ch message-file to the I18N folder. I do have a
> translate-wiki account  but have no idea how to add a new language to
> the translate-wiki project SMW.
>
> Can anyone do this for me, or tell me how to proceed.
>
> thx,
>
>   michael

Re: Suiss language for SMW

Michael Erdmann
Thanks Karsten,

the link worked great. Now there are de-ch translations in
Translatewiki. I can see how this could be turned into
      SMW/I18N/de-ch.json
automatically.
But in addition to that, some PHP must also be changed in order to add
the new language to SMW.
     SMW/languages/SMW_LanguageDe_ch.php
to add e.g. the "inheritance" from DE.

I made the changes locally but how/when do things like this get into a
future SMW release?

thx,
   michael

--

Dr. Michael Erdmann    |    [hidden email]    |   +49 151 6140 1790
DIQA Projektmanagement GmbH | Pfinztalstr. 90 | 76227 Karlsruhe, Germany

This email may contain confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender immediately and delete this
email. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of this
email is strictly forbidden.

Re: Suiss language for SMW

kghbln
Great Michael, cool that it worked out. The translations should roll in
after the next sync of the WMF repo with GitHub.

There [0] you would also like to provide a pull request with your patch
to make the fallback happen so James or Jeroen can have a look if it is
cool.

Thanks so much for your involvement!