Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Corey Floyd
Hi all,

The experimental Trending Service[1] will be sunset on December 14th, 2017.

We initially deployed this service to evaluate some real time features in
the mobile apps centered on delivering more timely information to users.
After some research [2], we found that it did not perform well with users
in that use case.

At this point there are no further plans to integrate the service into our
products and so we are going to sunset the service to reduce the
maintenance burden for some of our teams.

We are going to do this more quickly than we would for a full stable
production API as the usage of the end point is extremely low and mostly
from our own internal projects. If you this adversely affects any of your
work or you have any other concerns, please let the myself or the Reading
Infrastructure team know.

Thanks to all the teams involved with developing, deploying, researching
and maintaining this service.

P.S. This service was based off of prototypes Jon Robson had developed for
detecting trending articles. He will be continuing his work in this area. I
encourage you to reach out to him if you were interested in this project.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/#!/Feed/trendingEdits
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Comparing_most_read_and_trending_edits_for_Top_Articles_feature

--
Corey Floyd
Engineering Manager

Re: Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Corey Floyd
Just a reminder that this is happening this Thursday. Please update any
tools you have before then. Thanks!

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 3:30 PM Corey Floyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The experimental Trending Service[1] will be sunset on December 14th, 2017.
>
> We initially deployed this service to evaluate some real time features in
> the mobile apps centered on delivering more timely information to users.
> After some research [2], we found that it did not perform well with users
> in that use case.
>
> At this point there are no further plans to integrate the service into our
> products and so we are going to sunset the service to reduce the
> maintenance burden for some of our teams.
>
> We are going to do this more quickly than we would for a full stable
> production API as the usage of the end point is extremely low and mostly
> from our own internal projects. If you this adversely affects any of your
> work or you have any other concerns, please let the myself or the Reading
> Infrastructure team know.
>
> Thanks to all the teams involved with developing, deploying, researching
> and maintaining this service.
>
> P.S. This service was based off of prototypes Jon Robson had developed for
> detecting trending articles. He will be continuing his work in this area. I
> encourage you to reach out to him if you were interested in this project.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/#!/Feed/trendingEdits
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Comparing_most_read_and_trending_edits_for_Top_Articles_feature
>

> --
> Corey Floyd
> Engineering Manager
> Readers
> Wikimedia Foundation

Corey Floyd
Engineering Manager
Readers

Re: Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Ryan Kaldari-2
One interesting thing that I noticed about the trending edits API is that
it was fairly useful in identifying articles that were under attack by
vandals or experiencing an edit war. A lot of times a vandal will just sit
on an article and keep reverting back to the vandalized version until an
admin shows up, which can sometimes take a while. If you tweak the
parameters passed to the API, you can almost get it to show nothing but
edit wars (high number of edits, low number of editors).

This makes me think that this API is actually useful, it's just targeted to
the wrong use case. If we built something similar, but that just looked for
high numbers of revert/undos (rather than edits), and combined it with
something like Jon Robson's trending edits user script (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jdlrobson/Gadget-trending-edits.js), we
could create a really powerful tool for Wikipedia administrators to
identify problems without having to wait for them to be reported at AN/I or
AIV.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Corey Floyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a reminder that this is happening this Thursday. Please update any
> tools you have before then. Thanks!
>

> On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 3:30 PM Corey Floyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The experimental Trending Service[1] will be sunset on December 14th,
> 2017.
> >
> > We initially deployed this service to evaluate some real time features in
> > the mobile apps centered on delivering more timely information to users.
> > After some research [2], we found that it did not perform well with users
> > in that use case.
> >
> > At this point there are no further plans to integrate the service into
> our
> > products and so we are going to sunset the service to reduce the
> > maintenance burden for some of our teams.
> >
> > We are going to do this more quickly than we would for a full stable
> > production API as the usage of the end point is extremely low and mostly
> > from our own internal projects. If you this adversely affects any of your
> > work or you have any other concerns, please let the myself or the Reading
> > Infrastructure team know.
> >
> > Thanks to all the teams involved with developing, deploying, researching
> > and maintaining this service.
> >
> > P.S. This service was based off of prototypes Jon Robson had developed
> for
> > detecting trending articles. He will be continuing his work in this
> area. I
> > encourage you to reach out to him if you were interested in this project.
> >
> > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/#!/Feed/trendingEdits
> > [2]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Comparing_most_
> read_and_trending_edits_for_Top_Articles_feature
> >

> > --
> > Corey Floyd
> > Engineering Manager
> > Readers
> > Wikimedia Foundation

> Corey Floyd
> Engineering Manager
> Readers
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Jon Robson
(Volunteer hat on)

I'm a little sad we didn't find a place for this in the Wikipedia apps or
web products, but I plan to maintain a labs instance going forward:
https://wikipedia-trending.wmflabs.org/
And a web presentation with a push notification feature (which notified be
this morning of the death of Ed Lee
<https://trending.wmflabs.org/en.wikipedia/Ed%20Lee%20(politician)>):
https://trending.wmflabs.org/

This is a little inferior to the production version as it is unable to use
production kafka and if it has any outages it will lose data.

I'm hoping to get this onto IFTTT <https://ifttt.com/wikipedia> with help
from Stephen Laporte in my volunteer time, as I think this feature is a
pretty powerful one which has failed to find its use case in the wiki
world. As Kaldari points out it's incredibly good at detecting edit wars
and I personally have learned a lot about what our editors see as important
and notable in the world (our editors really seem to like wrestling). I
think there are ample and exciting things people could build on top of this
api.

The gadget script is crude (as there is no way to install a service worker
via a user script) but will continue to work if you want to try it (but
Firefox only) -  I just updated it to use the new endpoint.

I will continue to explore trending's place in the Wikimedia universe :)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 at 10:43 Ryan Kaldari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > detecting trending articles. He will be continuing his work in this
> > area. I
> > > encourage you to reach out to him if you were interested in this
> project.
> > >
> > > [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/api/rest_v1/#!/Feed/trendingEdits
> > > [2]
> > > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Comparing_most_
> > read_and_trending_edits_for_Top_Articles_feature
> > >

> > > --
> > > Corey Floyd
> > > Engineering Manager
> > > Readers
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > [hidden email]
> > >
> > --
> > Corey Floyd
> > Engineering Manager
> > Readers
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Jonathan Morgan
FWIW, I did the research comparing Trending edits to top pageviews, and I
*also* think Trending edits is a promising tool and am glad to hear that it
going forward in some fashion even if it's being pulled from production
(for now?). I hope we can continue to develop the model, and I'm confident
that we will find valuable use cases for it.

- J

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> or
> > AIV.
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Corey Floyd <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Just a reminder that this is happening this Thursday. Please update any
> > > tools you have before then. Thanks!

> > > 2017.

> features
> > in
> > users.
> > users

> into
> > > our

> > mostly
> > your
> > Reading

> > researching

> developed
> > > for
> > > area. I
> > project.

> > > read_and_trending_edits_for_Top_Articles_feature

Jonathan T. Morgan
Senior Design Researcher
Wikimedia Foundation
User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Re: [ri-team] Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Corey Floyd
Admin assistance is definitely an interesting use case… there is also the
possibility of including incorporating ORES scores to see what changes are
actually good or not.

Since the API is primarily based off of edits, it isn’t too surprising that
a contributor / admin use case may be a better fit here. So the Trending
may yet have another life as a tool for administrators. It is definitely
something to test out to see if it is useful…

As Jon said, the Cloud VPS version may not be as reliable as Kafka, but
hopefully it is enough to evaluate this type of use… and maybe, as others
have mentioned, a good reason to get production Kafka events flowing into
Cloud VPS backed projects.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 3:27 PM Jonathan Morgan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> > AIV.

>> any

>> 14th,

>> features
>> > in
>> > users.
>> > users

>> into

>> > mostly
>> > your
>> > Reading

>> > researching

>> developed
>> > project.

> Jonathan T. Morgan
> Senior Design Researcher
> Wikimedia Foundation
> User:Jmorgan (WMF) <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jmorgan_(WMF)>

Corey Floyd
Engineering Manager
Readers

Re: Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Gergo Tisza
On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a little inferior to the production version as it is unable to use
> production kafka and if it has any outages it will lose data.

Hopefully that gets fixed soon, Cloud VPS / Toolforge is the foundation for
out volunteer tool developer community who really shouldn't be treated as
second-class citizens.

Other than that, moving to the Cloud is not a bad thing for an experimental
project IMO. It makes it easier to experiment with minimal risk, and it
makes it easy to add co-collaborators to your project without having to get
prod access for them.

I'm hoping to get this onto IFTTT <https://ifttt.com/wikipedia> with help
> from Stephen Laporte in my volunteer time, as I think this feature is a
> pretty powerful one which has failed to find its use case in the wiki
> world. As Kaldari points out it's incredibly good at detecting edit wars
> and I personally have learned a lot about what our editors see as important
> and notable in the world (our editors really seem to like wrestling). I
> think there are ample and exciting things people could build on top of this
> api.

Yeah a "give me push notifications about ongoing edit wars" tool for admins
sounds really cool. Although you'd probably want to look at revert trends
(or both edit and revert trends) for that.

Re: Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Andrew Otto
> This is a little inferior to the production version as it is unable to use
production kafka and if it has any outages it will lose data.

​EventStreams isn’t as good as using Kafka, but an outage shouldn’t be a
reason to lose data.  Store the Last-Event-ID
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/EventStreams#Format> that EventStreams
gives you, and you can use it when the service starts back up to start from
where you left off.

​>  and maybe, as others have mentioned, a good reason to get production
Kafka events flowing into Cloud VPS backed projects.

Def not opposed to a Kafka cluster in Cloud mirroring from Prod. :)

BTW, this is a wee relevant:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ottomata/Stream_Data_Platform

This is a draft! I’m shopping this around as a program for next FY.  We
will see!

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is a little inferior to the production version as it is unable to
> use
> > production kafka and if it has any outages it will lose data.
> >

> Hopefully that gets fixed soon, Cloud VPS / Toolforge is the foundation for
> out volunteer tool developer community who really shouldn't be treated as
> second-class citizens.
>
> Other than that, moving to the Cloud is not a bad thing for an experimental
> project IMO. It makes it easier to experiment with minimal risk, and it
> makes it easy to add co-collaborators to your project without having to get
> prod access for them.
>
> I'm hoping to get this onto IFTTT <https://ifttt.com/wikipedia> with help
> > from Stephen Laporte in my volunteer time, as I think this feature is a
> > pretty powerful one which has failed to find its use case in the wiki
> > world. As Kaldari points out it's incredibly good at detecting edit wars
> > and I personally have learned a lot about what our editors see as
> important
> > and notable in the world (our editors really seem to like wrestling). I
> > think there are ample and exciting things people could build on top of
> this
> > api.
> >

> Yeah a "give me push notifications about ongoing edit wars" tool for admins
> sounds really cool. Although you'd probably want to look at revert trends
> (or both edit and revert trends) for that.

Re: Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Jon Robson
Since there is some confusion on the thread, I would like to clarify that I
am using EventStreams in the labs version. There is no way too use Kafka
outside production and no way to replay historical events (which was what
made this so much better in production).

(code for this is mostly in
*https://github.com/jdlrobson/wikitrender/blob/master/index.js
<https://github.com/jdlrobson/wikitrender/blob/master/index.js> *for those
interested)

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 at 13:33 Andrew Otto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > This is a little inferior to the production version as it is unable to
> use
> production kafka and if it has any outages it will lose data.
>
> ​EventStreams isn’t as good as using Kafka, but an outage shouldn’t be a
> reason to lose data.  Store the Last-Event-ID
> <https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/EventStreams#Format> that
> EventStreams
> gives you, and you can use it when the service starts back up to start from
> where you left off.
>
> ​>  and maybe, as others have mentioned, a good reason to get production
> Kafka events flowing into Cloud VPS backed projects.
>
> Def not opposed to a Kafka cluster in Cloud mirroring from Prod. :)
>
> BTW, this is a wee relevant:
> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ottomata/Stream_Data_Platform
>
> This is a draft! I’m shopping this around as a program for next FY.  We
> will see!
>

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Gergo Tisza <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > This is a little inferior to the production version as it is unable to
> > use
> > > production kafka and if it has any outages it will lose data.
> > >

> > Hopefully that gets fixed soon, Cloud VPS / Toolforge is the foundation
> for
> > out volunteer tool developer community who really shouldn't be treated as
> > second-class citizens.
> >
> > Other than that, moving to the Cloud is not a bad thing for an
> experimental
> > project IMO. It makes it easier to experiment with minimal risk, and it
> > makes it easy to add co-collaborators to your project without having to
> get
> > prod access for them.
> >
> > I'm hoping to get this onto IFTTT <https://ifttt.com/wikipedia> with
> help
> > > from Stephen Laporte in my volunteer time, as I think this feature is a
> > > pretty powerful one which has failed to find its use case in the wiki
> > > world. As Kaldari points out it's incredibly good at detecting edit
> wars
> > > and I personally have learned a lot about what our editors see as
> > important
> > > and notable in the world (our editors really seem to like wrestling). I
> > > think there are ample and exciting things people could build on top of
> > this
> > > api.
> > >

> > Yeah a "give me push notifications about ongoing edit wars" tool for
> admins
> > sounds really cool. Although you'd probably want to look at revert trends
> > (or both edit and revert trends) for that.

Re: Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Melody Kramer
It's an incredibly useful tool for people outside of our existing community
— who use Wikipedia to determine what's resonating worldwide. I've tweeted
about it several times and it always gets pickup from journalists:

https://twitter.com/mkramer/status/940676642636206091

Happy to put you in touch if you ever want to do user research interviews.

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 3:12 PM, Jon Robson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> or
> > AIV.
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Corey Floyd <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Just a reminder that this is happening this Thursday. Please update any
> > > tools you have before then. Thanks!

> > > 2017.

> features
> > in
> > users.
> > users

> into
> > > our

> > mostly
> > your
> > Reading

> > researching

> developed
> > > for
> > > area. I
> > project.

> > > read_and_trending_edits_for_Top_Articles_feature

Melody Kramer <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:MKramer_(WMF)>
Senior Audience Development Manager
Read a random featured article from Wikipedia!
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:RandomInCategory/Featured_articles>

Re: Sunsetting Trending Edits Service before the holiday

Marko Obrovac
Hello all,

Just a quick note to let you know that as of now the trending edits public
end point is no longer available to clients.

On a personal note, I also concur that such a tool is an interesting source
of data that can be applied in various contexts and hope to see work picked
up in the future.

Cheers,

Marko Obrovac, PhD
Senior Services Engineer