Surströmming

Deryck Chan
Apparently Wikimania will coincide with Surströmming day in Sweden this year [1]. Anyone fancy trying this smelly Swedish delicacy together?

(More discreet, private offers to take me to try this fish also welcome. I'm a big fan of Cantonese salted fish [2] so I'm fairly confident I can cope with Surströmming.)

Re: Surströmming

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
Hell, yeah, count me in!

Dj "pundit"

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019, 18:42 Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apparently Wikimania will coincide with Surströmming day in Sweden this year [1]. Anyone fancy trying this smelly Swedish delicacy together?

(More discreet, private offers to take me to try this fish also welcome. I'm a big fan of Cantonese salted fish [2] so I'm fairly confident I can cope with Surströmming.)

Re: Surströmming

Siebrand Mazeland-2

Op 7 aug. 2019 om 00:43 heeft Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Hell, yeah, count me in!

Dj "pundit"

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019, 18:42 Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apparently Wikimania will coincide with Surströmming day in Sweden this year [1]. Anyone fancy trying this smelly Swedish delicacy together?

(More discreet, private offers to take me to try this fish also welcome. I'm a big fan of Cantonese salted fish [2] so I'm fairly confident I can cope with Surströmming.)

Not sure I can stomach this, but certainly interested to try.

Siebrand

Re: Surströmming

Abbad Diraneyya
I'm not sure I wanna try it, but all the fuss about the smelly fish 🎏 makes me really curious to come by and make a firsthand observation.

Re: Surströmming

Houcemeddine A. Turki
Dear Mr.,
I thank you for your efforts. This seems like the Egyptian Fesikh. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fesikh.
Yours Sincerely,
Houcemeddine Turki (he/him)
Medical Student, Faculty of Medicine of Sfax, University of Sfax, Tunisia
Undergraduate Researcher, UR12SP36
GLAM and Education Coordinator, Wikimedia TN User Group
Member, WikiResearch Tunisia
Member, Wiki Project Med
Member, WikiIndaba Steering Committee
Member, Wikimedia and Library User Group Steering Committee
Co-Founder, WikiLingua Maghreb
Founder, TunSci
____________________
+21629499418

Re: Surströmming

Frans Grijzenhout
I'am curious and want to taste it as well, Frans

Frans Grijzenhout, voorzitter / chair
+31 6 5333 9499
--
Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
Mariaplaats 3  -  3511 LH Utrecht

I'm not sure I wanna try it, but all the fuss about the smelly fish 🎏 makes me really curious to come by and make a firsthand observation.

Re: Surströmming

Wanda GUMA
Yes, Douglas please nring somewith you to Mzansi. I'm sure in Langa we'd also like to experience this "snoek" competing fish, especially forthose who won't be able to make it to Sweden.

Regards,

Wanda Guma
Cape Town, South Africa
+27 (0)62 119 6980

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019, 12:15 Douglas Scott <[hidden email]> wrote:
I want to see if I can get a can or two of it to do a tasting in South Africa.

On Fri, 09 Aug 2019, 10:39 Frans Grijzenhout, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'am curious and want to taste it as well, Frans

Frans Grijzenhout, voorzitter / chair
+31 6 5333 9499
--
Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
Mariaplaats 3  -  3511 LH Utrecht
Kamer van Koophandel 17189036

I'm not sure I wanna try it, but all the fuss about the smelly fish 🎏 makes me really curious to come by and make a firsthand observation.

Re: Surströmming

Maximilian Marx

On Tue, Aug 06, 2019 at 11:41:39PM +0100, Deryck Chan wrote:
> Apparently Wikimania will coincide with Surströmming day in Sweden this
> year [1]. Anyone fancy trying this smelly Swedish delicacy together?

sounds interesting, count me in.

Maximilian

Re: Surströmming

Peter Southwood

The airline may not allow it to be transported. The cans build up pressure and the amount is not known. Also you can imagine the complaints if one of the tins burst in the hold. On the other hand, think of the fun if customs decided to open it. Whatever you do, don’t try to take any into Australia. They would probably jail you and throw away the key.

Cheers,

Peter

I will try ANYTHING local so yeah, I'm game too!

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 1:51 AM Siebrand Mazeland <[hidden email]> wrote:

Op 7 aug. 2019 om 00:43 heeft Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Hell, yeah, count me in!

Dj "pundit"

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019, 18:42 Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Apparently Wikimania will coincide with Surströmming day in Sweden this year [1]. Anyone fancy trying this smelly Swedish delicacy together?

(More discreet, private offers to take me to try this fish also welcome. I'm a big fan of Cantonese salted fish [2] so I'm fairly confident I can cope with Surströmming.)

Not sure I can stomach this, but certainly interested to try.

Siebrand

Image removed by sender.

Re: Surströmming

Johan Jönsson-2
So the best way to do this is probably to find a restaurant or some other place that will serve you surströmming, but should anyone get a can, do not open it indoors and preferably keep the can submerged in water when you open it. Fermentation continues in the can, which builds some pressure, and upon opening it might greet you like the enthusiastic sprout of a whale breathing out.

Of course, not being hit by the full force of the smell takes away some of the memorable, exotic part of it, but that way, you'll experience it as reasonably normal food rather than a potentially vomiting-inducing aroma.

//Johan Jönsson
--

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 12:42 AM Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apparently Wikimania will coincide with Surströmming day in Sweden this year [1]. Anyone fancy trying this smelly Swedish delicacy together?

(More discreet, private offers to take me to try this fish also welcome. I'm a big fan of Cantonese salted fish [2] so I'm fairly confident I can cope with Surströmming.)

Re: Surströmming

Siebrand Mazeland-2

> Op 9 aug. 2019 om 15:17 heeft Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> So the best way to do this is probably to find a restaurant or some other place that will serve you surströmming

I’d imagine this will dramatically change the budget for the activity — I imagined it would be a volunteer organized activity, like some beer tastings have been done in the past, and will be done again in Stockholm.

Traditional “special” foods are generally sold at ludicrous prices, and Sweden isn’t known to be cheap already as far as I’ve heard.

Can you make an estimate of how much the experience might set us back?

Cheers!

Siebrand

Re: Surströmming

Eric Luth
Dear all,

Wikimedia Sverige will take care of this, and invite Wikimania attendees to a proper surströmmingsprovning during Wikimania. We will provide you with more information next week.

Best,
Eric Luth
Conference Manager, Wikimedia Sverige
+46 (0) 765 55 50 95

Stöd fri kunskap, bli medlem i Wikimedia Sverige.
Läs mer på blimedlem.wikimedia.se

Den fre 9 aug. 2019 kl 15:35 skrev Siebrand Mazeland <[hidden email]>:

> Op 9 aug. 2019 om 15:17 heeft Johan Jönsson <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> So the best way to do this is probably to find a restaurant or some other place that will serve you surströmming

I’d imagine this will dramatically change the budget for the activity — I imagined it would be a volunteer organized activity, like some beer tastings have been done in the past, and will be done again in Stockholm.

Traditional “special” foods are generally sold at ludicrous prices, and Sweden isn’t known to be cheap already as far as I’ve heard.

Can you make an estimate of how much the experience might set us back?

Cheers!

Siebrand

Re: Surströmming

Siebrand Mazeland-2

Op vr 9 aug. 2019 om 16:14 schreef Eric Luth <[hidden email]>
Dear all,

Wikimedia Sverige will take care of this, and invite Wikimania attendees to a proper surströmmingsprovning during Wikimania. We will provide you with more information next week.

Best,
Eric Luth

Great news and a great offer, Eric. Thank you. I’m looking forward to the stinkiest Wikimedia session to date!

Cheers!

Siebrand
--
Siebrand Mazeland
Kitano ICT

M: +31 6 50 69 1239
Skype: siebrand

Re: Surströmming

Samat-2
Yeh, the stongest memory from Wikimania in Stockholm ;)
Thank you for that!

Samat

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 19:31, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
The surströmming session was amazing. Thank you Mattias and hosts :D

Re: Surströmming

Mina Theofilatou-2
I am devastated for having missed the surstromming session :-( :-( :-(

At around 4 I walked into the coolest tool awards (which were great BTW) and I got so carried away I totally forgot about the surstromming...

I made a desperate effort to get hold of some surstromming at the airport and indeed it is true, it's not available for the known reasons... (I bought a jar of pickled herring instead).

So, did anyone actually LIKE it???