Survey Banner not showing

Nkansah Rexford
Hi

I wish to take the Wikipedia survey after the addition of Ghana. But can't
find the banner. Its not showing on my wikipedia pages.

I'm accessing Wikipedia from Ghana.

To enable me take the survey as early as possible before it expires out,
can I have the link directly to the survey page?

Thanks

rexford

--
+Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

Re: Survey Banner not showing

Andreas Kolbe-2
1. Make sure "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" in your
preferences (it's under gadgets) is NOT checked.

2. Set your browser to "Private Browsing" or "Incognito" of "Stealth" mode
(whichever term your browser uses; this it to bypass any cookies that may
prevent the display of the banner).

3. Go to the English Wikipedia main page: you should then see the banner at
the top of your screen, with a link enabling you to do the survey.

Andreas

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Nkansah Rexford
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wish to take the Wikipedia survey after the addition of Ghana. But can't
> find the banner. Its not showing on my wikipedia pages.
>
> I'm accessing Wikipedia from Ghana.
>
> To enable me take the survey as early as possible before it expires out,
> can I have the link directly to the survey page?
>
> Thanks
>
> rexford
>

> --
> +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

Re: Survey Banner not showing

Nkansah Rexford
Hello Andreas

I think I've done your suggestions.

1) I have the "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" already
unchecked. I verified, and ensured its not checked, at least twice.

2) I set my browser to "Incognito"  Mode. I use Chrome most recent version.

3) I went to the en.wikipedia.org (English Wikipedia) and the banner isn't
showing.

I can't tell where the problem is from now. But for a survey that's
optional to take, should it be that hard and cumbersome to access? Assuming
your troubleshoot tips worked, will everyone (especially, the wikipedia
newbies) have to go through that process just to see a survey?

I wished i could add screenshots to proof it isn't showing, but thought of
this as a mailing list. But in all, its not working

Suggestion:
1) Please, if anyone has access, should verify to see if the banner is
allowed to show in the geographical location I'm in, Ghana. I know some
banners can be configured to show in certain parts of the world based on IP
preferences. Since Ghana wasn't listed even among the countries initially,
I won't be surprised if Ghana isn't part of the survey (Don't know how I
came across it for the first time though).

thanks
rexford

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012, Andreas Kolbe wrote:

> 1. Make sure "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" in your
> preferences (it's under gadgets) is NOT checked.
>
> 2. Set your browser to "Private Browsing" or "Incognito" of "Stealth" mode
> (whichever term your browser uses; this it to bypass any cookies that may
> prevent the display of the banner).
>
> 3. Go to the English Wikipedia main page: you should then see the banner at
> the top of your screen, with a link enabling you to do the survey.
>
> Andreas
>

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Nkansah Rexford
> <[hidden email] <javascript:;>>wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I wish to take the Wikipedia survey after the addition of Ghana. But
> can't
> > find the banner. Its not showing on my wikipedia pages.
> >
> > I'm accessing Wikipedia from Ghana.
> >
> > To enable me take the survey as early as possible before it expires out,
> > can I have the link directly to the survey page?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > rexford
> >

> > --
> > +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

+Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

Re: Survey Banner not showing

Nkansah Rexford
One more thing,

I think having a direct link to the survey will be better. Besides, I can't
see it, and I'm yearning to take it.

Please, share a direct link to the survey with me so I can take it as soon
as possible.

thanks
rexford

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012, Nkansah Rexford wrote:

> Hello Andreas
>
> I think I've done your suggestions.
>
> 1) I have the "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" already
> unchecked. I verified, and ensured its not checked, at least twice.
>
> 2) I set my browser to "Incognito"  Mode. I use Chrome most recent version.
>
> 3) I went to the en.wikipedia.org (English Wikipedia) and the banner
> isn't showing.
>
> I can't tell where the problem is from now. But for a survey that's
> optional to take, should it be that hard and cumbersome to access? Assuming
> your troubleshoot tips worked, will everyone (especially, the wikipedia
> newbies) have to go through that process just to see a survey?
>
> I wished i could add screenshots to proof it isn't showing, but thought of
> this as a mailing list. But in all, its not working
>
> Suggestion:
> 1) Please, if anyone has access, should verify to see if the banner is
> allowed to show in the geographical location I'm in, Ghana. I know some
> banners can be configured to show in certain parts of the world based on IP
> preferences. Since Ghana wasn't listed even among the countries initially,
> I won't be surprised if Ghana isn't part of the survey (Don't know how I
> came across it for the first time though).
>
> thanks
> rexford
>
> On Tuesday, November 6, 2012, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
>
>> 1. Make sure "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" in your
>> preferences (it's under gadgets) is NOT checked.
>>
>> 2. Set your browser to "Private Browsing" or "Incognito" of "Stealth" mode
>> (whichever term your browser uses; this it to bypass any cookies that may
>> prevent the display of the banner).
>>
>> 3. Go to the English Wikipedia main page: you should then see the banner
>> at
>> the top of your screen, with a link enabling you to do the survey.
>>
>> Andreas
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Nkansah Rexford
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I wish to take the Wikipedia survey after the addition of Ghana. But
>> can't
>> > find the banner. Its not showing on my wikipedia pages.
>> >
>> > I'm accessing Wikipedia from Ghana.
>> >
>> > To enable me take the survey as early as possible before it expires out,
>> > can I have the link directly to the survey page?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > rexford
>> >

>> > --
>> > +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

> +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

--
+Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

Re: Survey Banner not showing

I Love Plankton
There is no direct link as far as i can tell, each link is generated
specially for your account.

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>wrote:

> One more thing,
>
> I think having a direct link to the survey will be better. Besides, I can't
> see it, and I'm yearning to take it.
>
> Please, share a direct link to the survey with me so I can take it as soon
> as possible.
>
> thanks
> rexford
>
> On Tuesday, November 6, 2012, Nkansah Rexford wrote:
>
> > Hello Andreas
> >
> > I think I've done your suggestions.
> >
> > 1) I have the "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" already
> > unchecked. I verified, and ensured its not checked, at least twice.
> >
> > 2) I set my browser to "Incognito"  Mode. I use Chrome most recent
> version.
> >
> > 3) I went to the en.wikipedia.org (English Wikipedia) and the banner
> > isn't showing.
> >
> > I can't tell where the problem is from now. But for a survey that's
> > optional to take, should it be that hard and cumbersome to access?
> Assuming
> > your troubleshoot tips worked, will everyone (especially, the wikipedia
> > newbies) have to go through that process just to see a survey?
> >
> > I wished i could add screenshots to proof it isn't showing, but thought
> of
> > this as a mailing list. But in all, its not working
> >
> > Suggestion:
> > 1) Please, if anyone has access, should verify to see if the banner is
> > allowed to show in the geographical location I'm in, Ghana. I know some
> > banners can be configured to show in certain parts of the world based on
> IP
> > preferences. Since Ghana wasn't listed even among the countries
> initially,
> > I won't be surprised if Ghana isn't part of the survey (Don't know how I
> > came across it for the first time though).
> >
> > thanks
> > rexford
> >
> > On Tuesday, November 6, 2012, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
> >
> >> 1. Make sure "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" in your
> >> preferences (it's under gadgets) is NOT checked.
> >>
> >> 2. Set your browser to "Private Browsing" or "Incognito" of "Stealth"
> mode
> >> (whichever term your browser uses; this it to bypass any cookies that
> may
> >> prevent the display of the banner).
> >>
> >> 3. Go to the English Wikipedia main page: you should then see the banner
> >> at
> >> the top of your screen, with a link enabling you to do the survey.
> >>
> >> Andreas

> >> can't

> out,

> > +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>
> >

> --
> +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

Re: Survey Banner not showing

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Nkansah Rexford, 06/11/2012 23:51:
> 1) Please, if anyone has access, should verify to see if the banner is
> allowed to show in the geographical location I'm in, Ghana. I know some
> banners can be configured to show in certain parts of the world based on IP
> preferences. Since Ghana wasn't listed even among the countries initially,
> I won't be surprised if Ghana isn't part of the survey (Don't know how I
> came across it for the first time though).

Geolocation is not enabled, so all countries see it.
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CentralNotice&method=listNoticeDetail&notice=EditorSurvey2012>
It might still be a matter of language settings, though: what language
are you using on en.wiki?

Nemo

Re: Survey Banner not showing

Andreas Kolbe-2
Nkansah,

Are you sure you were logged in when you went to the main page? The banner
will only show if you access the main page while logged in.

If you were logged in, and the banner still does not show up for you in
Chrome's Incognito mode, then I am out of ideas ... and I agree with you
that the way this has been set up is completely unsatisfactory.

Best,
Andreas

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Nkansah Rexford
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hello Andreas
>
> I think I've done your suggestions.
>
> 1) I have the "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" already
> unchecked. I verified, and ensured its not checked, at least twice.
>
> 2) I set my browser to "Incognito"  Mode. I use Chrome most recent version.
>
> 3) I went to the en.wikipedia.org (English Wikipedia) and the banner isn't
> showing.
>
> I can't tell where the problem is from now. But for a survey that's
> optional to take, should it be that hard and cumbersome to access? Assuming
> your troubleshoot tips worked, will everyone (especially, the wikipedia
> newbies) have to go through that process just to see a survey?
>
> I wished i could add screenshots to proof it isn't showing, but thought of
> this as a mailing list. But in all, its not working
>
> Suggestion:
> 1) Please, if anyone has access, should verify to see if the banner is
> allowed to show in the geographical location I'm in, Ghana. I know some
> banners can be configured to show in certain parts of the world based on IP
> preferences. Since Ghana wasn't listed even among the countries initially,
> I won't be surprised if Ghana isn't part of the survey (Don't know how I
> came across it for the first time though).
>
> thanks
> rexford
>
> On Tuesday, November 6, 2012, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
>
> > 1. Make sure "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" in your
> > preferences (it's under gadgets) is NOT checked.
> >
> > 2. Set your browser to "Private Browsing" or "Incognito" of "Stealth"
> mode
> > (whichever term your browser uses; this it to bypass any cookies that may
> > prevent the display of the banner).
> >
> > 3. Go to the English Wikipedia main page: you should then see the banner
> at
> > the top of your screen, with a link enabling you to do the survey.
> >
> > Andreas
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Nkansah Rexford
> > <[hidden email] <javascript:;>>wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I wish to take the Wikipedia survey after the addition of Ghana. But
> > can't
> > > find the banner. Its not showing on my wikipedia pages.
> > >
> > > I'm accessing Wikipedia from Ghana.
> > >
> > > To enable me take the survey as early as possible before it expires
> out,
> > > can I have the link directly to the survey page?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > rexford
> > >

> > > --
> > > +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

> +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

Re: Survey Banner not showing

Nkansah Rexford
Thanks.

Its unfortunate how Wikipedia is treating me like this.

I'll keep trying to see when Wikipedia feels satisfied and releases the
link to my screen.

i hope that happens before the survey period end.

Best regards,
rexford

On Wednesday, November 7, 2012, Andreas Kolbe wrote:

> [...]
> initially,
> > I won't be surprised if Ghana isn't part of the survey (Don't know how I
> > came across it for the first time though).
> >
> > thanks
> > rexford
> >
> > On Tuesday, November 6, 2012, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Make sure "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" in your
> > > preferences (it's under gadgets) is NOT checked.
> > >
> > > 2. Set your browser to "Private Browsing" or "Incognito" of "Stealth"
> > mode
> > > (whichever term your browser uses; this it to bypass any cookies that
> may
> > > prevent the display of the banner).
> > >
> > > 3. Go to the English Wikipedia main page: you should then see the
> banner
> > at
> > > the top of your screen, with a link enabling you to do the survey.

liangent
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Its unfortunate how Wikipedia is treating me like this.
>
> I'll keep trying to see when Wikipedia feels satisfied and releases the
> link to my screen.
>
> i hope that happens before the survey period end.

I made a script with code extracted from the banner. Try putting this in
your location bar and see whether you get the survey again:

javascript:importScript('User:Liangent/editorSurvey2012.js');

Some browsers (like newer Firefox) prevent you from doing this. In this
case you have to go to its JavaScript console and run this line manually:

importScript('User:Liangent/editorSurvey2012.js');

You can also go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:MyPage/foobar.js&action=submit,
put the above line into the box, then preview it (in case you don't
know
how to use the JavaScript console).

-Liangent

> Best regards,
> rexford
>
> On Wednesday, November 7, 2012, Andreas Kolbe wrote:
>
> > Nkansah,
> >
> > Are you sure you were logged in when you went to the main page? The
> banner
> > will only show if you access the main page while logged in.
> >
> > If you were logged in, and the banner still does not show up for you in
> > Chrome's Incognito mode, then I am out of ideas ... and I agree with you
> > that the way this has been set up is completely unsatisfactory.
> >
> > Best,
> > Andreas
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Nkansah Rexford
> > <[hidden email] <javascript:;>>wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Andreas
> > >
> > > I think I've done your suggestions.
> > >
> > > 1) I have the "Suppress display of the fundraiser banner" already
> > > unchecked. I verified, and ensured its not checked, at least twice.
> > >
> > > 2) I set my browser to "Incognito"  Mode. I use Chrome most recent
> > version.
> > >
> > > 3) I went to the en.wikipedia.org (English Wikipedia) and the banner
> > isn't
> > > showing.
> > >
> > > I can't tell where the problem is from now. But for a survey that's
> > > optional to take, should it be that hard and cumbersome to access?
> > Assuming
> > > your troubleshoot tips worked, will everyone (especially, the wikipedia
> > > newbies) have to go through that process just to see a survey?
> > >
> > > I wished i could add screenshots to proof it isn't showing, but thought
> > of
> > > this as a mailing list. But in all, its not working
> > >
> > > Suggestion:
> > > 1) Please, if anyone has access, should verify to see if the banner is
> > > allowed to show in the geographical location I'm in, Ghana. I know some
> > > banners can be configured to show in certain parts of the world based
> on
> > IP
> > > preferences. Since Ghana wasn't listed even among the countries
> > initially,
> > > I won't be surprised if Ghana isn't part of the survey (Don't know how
> > > came across it for the first time though).
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > rexford

> > > mode
> > may

> > banner
> > > at

> But

> > > out,

> > > --
> > > +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

> +Nyarko Rexford <https://plus.google.com/u/0/107174506890941499078>

Re: Survey Banner not showing

Sarah-128
Can the survey be displayed as a regular watchlist notice so that we see it
until we complete or dismiss it? The difficulty of finding it means a lot
of editors may not fill it in, so the results will not be representative.
For example, I'd like to know how many women are out there editing, and
this is one way to reach them. But only if they see it.

Also, if you manage to find it once, but don't want to complete it in one
sitting and you lose it from the screen, how do you find it again?

Sarah

Re: Survey Banner not showing

Nkansah Rexford
@sarah You facing similar problems?

Hmmm... I've had difficulties seeing the banner after the first day I came
across. Would have completed filling it out, but my country wasn't listed.
Later on, I was told my country is listed, and since then, I can't find the
banner.

I've even lost interest in filling out the survey anymore, besides, I'm not
paid to do so.

rex

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Nkansah Rexford <[hidden email]>wrote:

> @sarah You facing similar problems?
>
> Hmmm... I've had difficulties seeing the banner after the first day I came
> across. Would have completed filling it out, but my country wasn't listed.
> Later on, I was told my country is listed, and since then, I can't find the
> banner.
>
> I've even lost interest in filling out the survey anymore, besides, I'm not
> paid to do so.
>
> rex

I was advised to remove the thing in my preferences that blocks the
fundraising banners (which thousands of editors have checked), and then do
a few other things -- I forget what they were -- and it still didn't show.
But then a few hours later I clicked on a diff on my watchlist and the link
appeared at the top of the page. I filled most of it in, took a break, then
I lost it and couldn't find it again.

I'm concerned that there are thousands of editors who won't even realize
the survey exists.

Re: Survey Banner not showing

Nkansah Rexford
Surely they wont find. And even if they find for the first time and they
don't take it, it means they wont find anymore.

Wiki Loves Monuments banner displayed nicely for several days. I'm
surprised how a survey banner is causing so much distress to people who've
volunteered to take it.

I currently don't know how far the survey team is handling the issue. I've
received a 3-step remedy from a  member of this list, and I ask myself if
that's the process every single person who wants to take the survey must go
through.

I wonder how many users of wikipedia know Gadgets under Preferences.

rexford