Swiss Wikipedia Day 2006 - Invitation

Michael Bimmler
Dear Jimbo

Maybe you've heard that a Swiss chapter of Wikimedia is planned to be
founded. Foundation will happen in the next few months and on June 17th
there will be the first Swiss Wikipedia Day in Zurich at Swiss Federal
Institute of
Technology (ETH Zurich). The event is supposed to inform the public
about Wikipedia and to
attract new members for Wikimedia CH. For this event we are looking
for discoursers and
as you will be in Europe anyway this weekend we'd like to invite you
to give a speech.

You would be free to talk about a topic you'd like to. As we will also
ask Prof. Bertrand Meyer for a speech we could organize a discussion
about advantages and disadvantages of a wiki system with both of you.

We would be highly honored by your visit. The speeches would happen
between 10 AM and 6PM Swiss (Summer) Time (=UTC + 2h). Of course we
could bring you directly from Zurich
airport to the location which takes about half an hour. Please let us
know if you can come and what you expect from us. Do you prefer staying
in hotels or in a private accommodation at a Wikipedian?

Best Regards

Wikipedia Day 2006 Organisation Committee

Re: Swiss Wikipedia Day 2006 - Invitation

Jimmy Wales
Do you konw this is the same day as the Germans are having their
Wikipedia Academy?

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academy

"Am 16. und 17. Juni 2006 wird die Wikipedia-Academy in Göttingen
stattfinden."

If your event was 18. Juni, this might be better?

Ich lerne Deutsch. Ich möchte auf Deutsch vortragen.

Michael Bimmler wrote:

> Dear Jimbo
>
> Maybe you've heard that a Swiss chapter of Wikimedia is planned to be
> founded. Foundation will happen in the next few months and on June 17th
> there will be the first Swiss Wikipedia Day in Zurich at Swiss Federal
> Institute of
> Technology (ETH Zurich). The event is supposed to inform the public
> about Wikipedia and to
> attract new members for Wikimedia CH. For this event we are looking
> for discoursers and
> as you will be in Europe anyway this weekend we'd like to invite you
> to give a speech.
>
> You would be free to talk about a topic you'd like to. As we will also
> ask Prof. Bertrand Meyer for a speech we could organize a discussion
> about advantages and disadvantages of a wiki system with both of you.
>
> We would be highly honored by your visit. The speeches would happen
> between 10 AM and 6PM Swiss (Summer) Time (=UTC + 2h). Of course we
> could bring you directly from Zurich
> airport to the location which takes about half an hour. Please let us
> know if you can come and what you expect from us. Do you prefer staying
> in hotels or in a private accommodation at a Wikipedian?
>
> Best Regards
>
> Wikipedia Day 2006 Organisation Committee

jwales.vcf (286 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Swiss Wikipedia Day 2006 - Invitation

Robin Schwab-2
Jimmy Wales schrieb:
> Do you konw this is the same day as the Germans are having their
> Wikipedia Academy?
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academy

Yes we do. As Göttingen is so far away that you need a flight the events
do not compete each other.

> "Am 16. und 17. Juni 2006 wird die Wikipedia-Academy in Göttingen
> stattfinden."
>
> If your event was 18. Juni, this might be better?

We decided on Saturday 17th and we already have the room reservation. We
know this is uncomfortable regarding Wikipedia Academy but Saturday has
many advantages to us. You would have to leave in the morning to catch a
flight in Frankfurt or Hannover.

> Ich lerne Deutsch. Ich möchte auf Deutsch vortragen.

Das würden wir sehr zu schätzen wissen. Sehr viele im potenziellen
Publikum verstehen Englisch.

Best regards

Wikipedia Day 2006 Organisation Committee

Re: Swiss Wikipedia Day 2006 - Invitation/Bylaws English translation

Robin Schwab-2
Dear Michael,

Thank you for sending the letter. I'm a little bit short of time these days.

The next big step with priority is this translation of the bylaws.
Manuel, your friend doubted that her translation will be good enough. I
think this is not a problem. The English version is for information of
the English speaking people only including Wikimedia Foundation. If it
comes to a legal case this will be in Switzerland and the German (or
maybe the Italian or French) version will be used.

Till February 20th I have two Americans as guests in the room that could
also be used for Jimbo. Their translation would be worse than the one of
your friend but if she has translated 4 out of 5 pages and just doesn't
have time to translate the last one it would be a missed chance to get
our bylaws completely translated. My guests could also check the overall
accuracy of the translation.

So maybe you (Manuel) inform your friend that we also appreciate an
incomplete translation. If we need the Foundations approval before we
start the advertising campaign for Wikipedia in early May and we give
the Foundation two month for a decision we must send the translated
bylaws in early March.

Thanks in advance.

Robin

Re: Re: Swiss Wikipedia Day 2006 - Invitation

Michael Bimmler
On 2/12/06, Robin Schwab <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We decided on Saturday 17th and we already have the room reservation. We
> know this is uncomfortable regarding Wikipedia Academy but Saturday has
> many advantages to us. You would have to leave in the morning to catch a
> flight in Frankfurt or Hannover.

Jimbo, I just read on the Academy-Talk-Page on dewp, that on Saturday
(17th) they only have the rooms in the morning. Are you giving a
speech at the Academy? If yes, do you know whether it will be Friday
or Saturday morning? Because, if you think you can give more than one
speech in these days, we could schedule your Zurich-speech or your
discussion with Prof. Meyer in the afternoon (3 or 4 pm), so it could
work with the flight. What do you think?
> > Ich lerne Deutsch. Ich möchte auf Deutsch vortragen.
>
> Das würden wir sehr zu schätzen wissen. Sehr viele im potenziellen
> Publikum verstehen Englisch.

Yes, it would certainly be nice, if you could hold a speech in German.
And if there are any communication problems, there will be a lot of
people present who speak German and English.

Regards
Michael Bimmler

Re: Swiss Wikipedia Day 2006 - Invitation

Jimmy Wales
Ok, well, unfortunately I'm afraid that I will be unable to attend. :(
I have already committed to participating at Wikipedia Academy.

Robin Schwab wrote:

> Jimmy Wales schrieb:
>
>> Do you konw this is the same day as the Germans are having their
>> Wikipedia Academy?
>>
>> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academy
>

> Yes we do. As Göttingen is so far away that you need a flight the events
> do not compete each other.
>
>> "Am 16. und 17. Juni 2006 wird die Wikipedia-Academy in Göttingen
>> stattfinden."
>>
>> If your event was 18. Juni, this might be better?
>

> We decided on Saturday 17th and we already have the room reservation. We
> know this is uncomfortable regarding Wikipedia Academy but Saturday has
> many advantages to us. You would have to leave in the morning to catch a
> flight in Frankfurt or Hannover.
>
>> Ich lerne Deutsch. Ich möchte auf Deutsch vortragen.
>

> Das würden wir sehr zu schätzen wissen. Sehr viele im potenziellen
> Publikum verstehen Englisch.
>
> Best regards
>
> Wikipedia Day 2006 Organisation Committee

jwales.vcf (286 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Re: Swiss Wikipedia Day 2006 - Invitation

Ilario Valdelli
I send you a "funny" proposal.

Jimbo Wales is here in Europe the 17th June, it could be a good
opportunity to him to meet Wikipedians who cannot go to Göttingen or are
not free on Saturday or Friday.

Why we dont' try to organize a "Swiss Wikipedia day" in the 17th June
and "Swiss InterWikimedia meeting" in the following 18th June? In this
day Swiss Wikipedians can meet Jimbo with other Wikipedians from Italy
or from French or from German (if there is people who will be busy in
the previous days)? We can try to ask and to investigate if this could
be a good idea, if Jimbo is available in 18th June, if we can found a
meeting point and if other Wikimedias are interested.

It is funny, but why not?

Regards

Ilario

AW: Re: Swiss Wikipedia Day 2006 - Invitation

Robin Schwab-2
I think this is a good proposal if it doesn't work with Jimbo on Saturday afternoon and if there would be a reasonable amount of people coming.

The GEP room would be free on Sunday.

Regards

Robin

Re: Swiss Wikipedia Day 2006 - Invitation

Ilario Valdelli
I have suggested this solution ("Interwikimedia day") to italian
wikipedians. A lot of people are enthusiastic of this proposal and
find it very interesting, also because we have a large number of
bilingual members (not only in italian Switzerland, but also in
Südtirol).

The problem is that in June there are planned other three meetings and
it is reasonable that some members could choose only a meeting.

Ilario