T212907

Ahmed Sammour
Hello everyone.

The problem in short description is that in some wikis there is a problem with number of articles. Specially the big articles. When any article exceed the transclusion limit of the templates, then the templates in the bottom will not be shown. Also the article loads very very slow.

Then I find out that if we use Rest API https://www.mediawiki.org/api/rest_v1/ to get the content of the pages that contain the same problem, then it will loads very fast, and the problem disappear.

So Aklapper ask to post this question in this email list. See the Phab ID for more details.

Best regards.
Ahmed.

Re: T212907

Valerio Bozzolan-2
Hello Sammour,

The suggestion of MaxSem from Phabricator is correct: migrate slowly to Lua. If you are using templates that are using templates, ..., you will quickly go over the limits. Limits are set just to keep the page as less heavy as possible, and it's good.

Start taking one of the most strange template of your wiki (e.g. one with a lot of conditional expressions, calling other templates, etc.) and convert it to a Scribunto (Lua) module.

Here some documentation:
https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Scribunto/Lua_reference_manual

Lua is not too difficult, you can have fun learning it.

For now, good luck!

--
Valerio Bozzolan
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Valerio_Bozzolan

E-mail sent from an Android LineageOS device without proprietary Google Apps, with the K-9 Mail client from F-Droid, delivered from my Postfix instance in my Debian GNU/Linux server.

Have fun with software freedom!