Table editing

Jim Hu
I've been working on making a set of extensions to make a table
editing helper, which I'm tentatively calling TableEdit.  The help
page for the prototype is at:

http://colimod.org/colipedia/index.php/Special:TableEdit

...with screen captures!

The basic idea is that you can put <newTableEdit/> in your markup,
and an extension will replace it on save with a link to a special
page that can create the table by adding and deleting columns and
rows.  These are stored in an external mysql db with two tables.  One
keeps track of the tables in each page and the other keeps track of
the content of each row.  The row data is just a string of values
delimited by '||' so it can be dropped right into the table markup.
In the prototype, you can put a list of column headings between
<newTableEdit>list</newTableEdit>, or you can specify a location for
a list of column headings in a Template page.

Individual rows can be editable by all or only by the creator and
admins.  This doesn't stop editing in the page itself unless you
combine it with ProtectSection or some other protection mechanism.

What I don't have working yet is:
- Sorting
- Inserting between existing rows and columns
- Parsing the data back out of the wiki text.

and as usual, the code could probably be cleaned up a lot.  I'll try
to post it to mediawiki as experimental this weekend, but I wanted
people to see the doc page.

Jim

p.s. The wiki it's on doesn't allow anonymous registration or
editing, so you won't be able to test drive it in place.
=====================================
Jim Hu
Associate Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics
2128 TAMU
Texas A&M Univ.
College Station, TX 77843-2128
979-862-4054

Re: Table editing

Jan-62
Heyy Jim,

looks really great ... I always wished to have something like that. Due to I
have a mediawiki for students with low technical knowledge, table-creation seems
to be hard barrier.

I tried to use your [[Sandbox]], but ...
> p.s. The wiki it's on doesn't allow anonymous registration or
> editing, so you won't be able to test drive it in place.
:-(

I didnt found a download of the extension ... could you give us a download-page,
to test this?

Regards,
Jan

Re: Table editing

Jim Hu
On Mar 3, 2007, at 1:08 PM, Jan wrote:

> Heyy Jim,
>
> looks really great ... I always wished to have something like that.
> Due to I
> have a mediawiki for students with low technical knowledge, table-
> creation seems
> to be hard barrier.
>
> I tried to use your [[Sandbox]], but ...
>> p.s. The wiki it's on doesn't allow anonymous registration or
>> editing, so you won't be able to test drive it in place.
> :-(
>
> I didnt found a download of the extension ... could you give us a
> download-page,

Working on it! :)

The embarrassing thing is that I'm really bad with basic unix tools
like tar, scp etc.  I developed the extension suite on my laptop and
I have to move it to my server, which is behind a couple of
firewalls... and I'm out of town on sabbatical right now...

I should get it up soon.  I just wanted to post last night in the
exuberance of getting it to work at all...right before I had to run
off to a dinner party.  I'll post another reply when I have it up on
the server.

Best,

Jim

> to test this?
>
> Regards,
> Jan

Re: Table editing

Jim Hu
OK... now posted to mediawiki

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TableEdit

Hope people find it useful and can help me improve it.  If anyone
tries it, let me know how it goes.

Jim
=====================================
Jim Hu
Associate Professor
Dept. of Biochemistry and Biophysics
2128 TAMU
Texas A&M Univ.
College Station, TX 77843-2128
979-862-4054

On Mar 3, 2007, at 1:08 PM, Jan wrote:

> Heyy Jim,
>
> looks really great ... I always wished to have something like that.
> Due to I
> have a mediawiki for students with low technical knowledge, table-
> creation seems
> to be hard barrier.
>
> I tried to use your [[Sandbox]], but ...
>> p.s. The wiki it's on doesn't allow anonymous registration or
>> editing, so you won't be able to test drive it in place.
> :-(
>
> I didnt found a download of the extension ... could you give us a
> download-page,
> to test this?
>
> Regards,
> Jan

Re: Table editing

Fernando Correia
2007/3/3, Jim Hu <[hidden email]>:
> OK... now posted to mediawiki
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TableEdit
>
> Hope people find it useful and can help me improve it.  If anyone
> tries it, let me know how it goes.

It seems very useful. I will take a look. Thanks!