Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

phoebe ayers-3
The Wikimania jury has met and are pleased to announce that Wikimania
2007 will be held in Taipei, Taiwan.  Taipei had the winning
combination of a dedicated and experienced bidding team, a great venue
with centralized accomodation and community areas, and strong
sponsorship opportunities. Taipei also provides the opportunity to
focus attention on the growing Asian language projects and the
international aspect of the Wikimedia Foundation, as well as learning
about other free knowledge efforts and projects in the region.

This was a very difficult decision.  Every one of the shortlisted bids
this year were outstanding.  The Turin bid came in a close second; their
team made a great effort to procure two strong locations and extensive
government support, and gathered the Italian community together to
develop an outstanding bid.  Alexandria deserves recognition for
bringing the Egyptian and Arabic-language community into the spotlight,
and for finding a remarkable venue partner in the Library of Alexandria.
London also produced a very strong bid, with a great venue, focus on
educational outreach, the diversity of London, and the strong Wikimedia
UK team.

Thank you to all of the bidders, including those who did not make
the shortlist, for your time and energy in developing these bids.
We hope this year's city teams will find ways to build on the contacts
and sponsors developed in the bid process for a 2008 bid or for hosting
a regional event.

We strongly encourage all who bid this year, and those of you wondering
whether your city could have done the same, to consider preparing city
bids for Wikimania in 2008 or 2009. Unofficial bids for 2008 should be
started now, as the decision on that city will be made this winter
(more details on 2008's bid process coming soon; watch
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids
for updates).

Now the work for the winners will begin, as they develop plans for the
conference next summer.  We encourage the entire community to support
Taipei over the coming year in producing an outstanding conference.

With thanks,
The 2007 Wikimania bid jury

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Walter van Kalken
Yes finally a wikimania in my neighbourhood. It was a shame Singapore
fell out earlier though

Waerth

>The Wikimania jury has met and are pleased to announce that Wikimania
>2007 will be held in Taipei, Taiwan.  Taipei had the winning
>combination of a dedicated and experienced bidding team, a great venue
>with centralized accomodation and community areas, and strong
>sponsorship opportunities. Taipei also provides the opportunity to
>focus attention on the growing Asian language projects and the
>international aspect of the Wikimedia Foundation, as well as learning
>about other free knowledge efforts and projects in the region.
>
>This was a very difficult decision.  Every one of the shortlisted bids
>this year were outstanding.  The Turin bid came in a close second; their
>team made a great effort to procure two strong locations and extensive
>government support, and gathered the Italian community together to
>develop an outstanding bid.  Alexandria deserves recognition for
>bringing the Egyptian and Arabic-language community into the spotlight,
>and for finding a remarkable venue partner in the Library of Alexandria.
>London also produced a very strong bid, with a great venue, focus on
>educational outreach, the diversity of London, and the strong Wikimedia
>UK team.
>
>Thank you to all of the bidders, including those who did not make
>the shortlist, for your time and energy in developing these bids.
>We hope this year's city teams will find ways to build on the contacts
>and sponsors developed in the bid process for a 2008 bid or for hosting
>a regional event.
>
>We strongly encourage all who bid this year, and those of you wondering
>whether your city could have done the same, to consider preparing city
>bids for Wikimania in 2008 or 2009. Unofficial bids for 2008 should be
>started now, as the decision on that city will be made this winter
>(more details on 2008's bid process coming soon; watch
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids
>for updates).
>
>Now the work for the winners will begin, as they develop plans for the
>conference next summer.  We encourage the entire community to support
>Taipei over the coming year in producing an outstanding conference.
>
>With thanks,
>The 2007 Wikimania bid jury

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Titan Deng
Thank you all. As a main organizer of Taipei bidding team, I sincerely
invite all Wikimedians to come to Taipei in 2007.
Viva Wikimania!

Titan Deng
Theodoranian|虎兒

2006/9/25, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>:

> The Wikimania jury has met and are pleased to announce that Wikimania
> 2007 will be held in Taipei, Taiwan.  Taipei had the winning
> combination of a dedicated and experienced bidding team, a great venue
> with centralized accomodation and community areas, and strong
> sponsorship opportunities. Taipei also provides the opportunity to
> focus attention on the growing Asian language projects and the
> international aspect of the Wikimedia Foundation, as well as learning
> about other free knowledge efforts and projects in the region.
>
> This was a very difficult decision.  Every one of the shortlisted bids
> this year were outstanding.  The Turin bid came in a close second; their
> team made a great effort to procure two strong locations and extensive
> government support, and gathered the Italian community together to
> develop an outstanding bid.  Alexandria deserves recognition for
> bringing the Egyptian and Arabic-language community into the spotlight,
> and for finding a remarkable venue partner in the Library of Alexandria.
> London also produced a very strong bid, with a great venue, focus on
> educational outreach, the diversity of London, and the strong Wikimedia
> UK team.
>
> Thank you to all of the bidders, including those who did not make
> the shortlist, for your time and energy in developing these bids.
> We hope this year's city teams will find ways to build on the contacts
> and sponsors developed in the bid process for a 2008 bid or for hosting
> a regional event.
>
> We strongly encourage all who bid this year, and those of you wondering
> whether your city could have done the same, to consider preparing city
> bids for Wikimania in 2008 or 2009. Unofficial bids for 2008 should be
> started now, as the decision on that city will be made this winter
> (more details on 2008's bid process coming soon; watch
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids
> for updates).
>
> Now the work for the winners will begin, as they develop plans for the
> conference next summer.  We encourage the entire community to support
> Taipei over the coming year in producing an outstanding conference.
>
> With thanks,
> The 2007 Wikimania bid jury

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

James Hare
I hope I get to go... it's not everyday a minor from the United States gets
to go to Taipei.

On 9/24/06, THD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you all. As a main organizer of Taipei bidding team, I sincerely
> invite all Wikimedians to come to Taipei in 2007.
> Viva Wikimania!
>
> Titan Deng
> Theodoranian|虎兒
>
> 2006/9/25, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > The Wikimania jury has met and are pleased to announce that Wikimania
> > 2007 will be held in Taipei, Taiwan.  Taipei had the winning
> > combination of a dedicated and experienced bidding team, a great venue
> > with centralized accomodation and community areas, and strong
> > sponsorship opportunities. Taipei also provides the opportunity to
> > focus attention on the growing Asian language projects and the
> > international aspect of the Wikimedia Foundation, as well as learning
> > about other free knowledge efforts and projects in the region.
> >
> > This was a very difficult decision.  Every one of the shortlisted bids
> > this year were outstanding.  The Turin bid came in a close second; their
> > team made a great effort to procure two strong locations and extensive
> > government support, and gathered the Italian community together to
> > develop an outstanding bid.  Alexandria deserves recognition for
> > bringing the Egyptian and Arabic-language community into the spotlight,
> > and for finding a remarkable venue partner in the Library of Alexandria.
> > London also produced a very strong bid, with a great venue, focus on
> > educational outreach, the diversity of London, and the strong Wikimedia
> > UK team.
> >
> > Thank you to all of the bidders, including those who did not make
> > the shortlist, for your time and energy in developing these bids.
> > We hope this year's city teams will find ways to build on the contacts
> > and sponsors developed in the bid process for a 2008 bid or for hosting
> > a regional event.
> >
> > We strongly encourage all who bid this year, and those of you wondering
> > whether your city could have done the same, to consider preparing city
> > bids for Wikimania in 2008 or 2009. Unofficial bids for 2008 should be
> > started now, as the decision on that city will be made this winter
> > (more details on 2008's bid process coming soon; watch
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2008/Bids
> > for updates).
> >
> > Now the work for the winners will begin, as they develop plans for the
> > conference next summer.  We encourage the entire community to support
> > Taipei over the coming year in producing an outstanding conference.
> >
> > With thanks,
> > The 2007 Wikimania bid jury

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

oscar-11
On 9/25/06, THD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you all. As a main organizer of Taipei bidding team, I sincerely
> invite all Wikimedians to come to Taipei in 2007.
> Viva Wikimania!
>
> Titan Deng
> Theodoranian|虎��

congratulations theodorianian and taipei bidding team :-)))
hope to see you again in taipei then 路遥知马力 ;-)

oscar

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Arne Klempert-2
On 9/25/06, phoebe ayers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Wikimania jury has met and are pleased to announce that
> Wikimania 2007 will be held in Taipei, Taiwan.

Congratulations to the Taipei bidding team!

> This was a very difficult decision.  Every one of the shortlisted bids
> this year were outstanding.  The Turin bid came in a close second; their
> team made a great effort to procure two strong locations and extensive
> government support, and gathered the Italian community together to
> develop an outstanding bid.

I must say that it really hurts me to see, that such a outstanding bid
didn't win. I don't want to say that Taipei didn't deserve to win. I'm
just wondering if it's wise to encourage Wikipedians all over the
world to work on bids like this for 2008.

Back in 2005, when I was member of the bidding team for the first
Wikimania 2005 in Frankfurt, we've made a very simple proposal (in
relation to this year). It took us a few days (net) of work. The Turin
bid probably took the team weeks, if not months. Taking into account
that we're not "just" talking about volunteer time, but also about
huge commitments of local sponsors (it's unlikely that these can be
used for any other Wikimedia event), I'm suggesting to change the
process for the Wikimania city selection.

We really have to find a way to avoid such inevitable (and probably
huge) frustration among teams and sponsors. Perhaps a list of
preferred continents could help, or a much earlier involvement of the
jury, whatever. Please don't encourage Wikipedians all over the world
to waste their time (and the good will of sponsors) again.

-- Arne

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Gianluigi Gamba
I congratulate with Taipei team and I'm sure they'll organize a memorable
event.

As a member of the Turin bidding team, let me voice a choral "too bad".
We had a sort of incredible "astral conjunction" of sponsors *really eager*
to have the Wikimania event, the enthusiasm of the whole community, the
honeymoon with the media and the commitment of many people from national
(and not only) institutions.
I wonder if such combination will return in a future. I hope so.

A prayer to the future jury: that's not been this year's case, but should
geographic and linguistic criteria be essential in choosing the future
locations, please say it in advance, before people start making contacts,
put their faces off and spend words.

Good luck Taipei, and good job.

G. (aka Paginazero)

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

valdelli@bluemail.ch
Good news,
considering that all is paid by sponsorship (Halls and rooms,
accomodations, catering) I think that these strong opportunities
could offer to the wikipedians the incentive to make a long journey
in a pleasant town.

In any case I don't understand if only 450 beds are paid for
sponsorship or if the sponsors will pay all 889 beds (http://meta.
wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2007/Taipei#Accommodation) because a
room in a Grand Hotel is expensive.

Regards

Ilario

Yes finally a wikimania in my neighbourhood. It was a shame
Singapore
fell out earlier though

Waerth

>The Wikimania jury has met and are pleased to announce that
Wikimania
>2007 will be held in Taipei, Taiwan.  Taipei had the winning
>combination of a dedicated and experienced bidding team, a great
venue
>with centralized accomodation and community areas, and strong
>sponsorship opportunities. Taipei also provides the opportunity
>focus attention on the growing Asian language projects and the
>international aspect of the Wikimedia Foundation, as well as
learning
>about other free knowledge efforts and projects in the region.

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

valdelli@bluemail.ch
Absolutely not.

The criteria could not consider the alternation of continents.

Also FIFA has changed this rule because it's difficult to follow.

IMHO it's important to verify the availability of Wikipedians to
have a long journey to reach the host town.

A preliminary vote of wikipedians combined with a vote of dedicated
team could be the good solution.

Ilario

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Mathias Schindler-2
On 9/25/06, Arne Klempert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We really have to find a way to avoid such inevitable (and probably
> huge) frustration among teams and sponsors. Perhaps a list of
> preferred continents could help, or a much earlier involvement of the
> jury, whatever. Please don't encourage Wikipedians all over the world
> to waste their time (and the good will of sponsors) again.

Arne is perfectly right in the description of the problem. On the
other hand, we are not the first organisation to discover it. Other
events (please ignore differences in size by orders of magnitude) such
as the Olympic Games do have a candidate city evaluation as well. If
one city is chosen, the effort put into 20 other proposals is void.

There is of couse a good reason for the procedure we are currently
doing: How do we know which effort is worth before doing it? How do we
find the best location that fits our needs? In the long run, you end
up having more or less the same system, only by different names.

And there is another issue: How to we keep people working for
Wikimania even if "their city" is not chosen this time. It is not
wasting the goodwill of companies (especially multinational
corporations) to ask if their offer for sponsorship still applies to
the chosen location. In 2006, Chinese Wikipedians had a (from what I
can see) very successful regional (using the term "regional" for an
area with 1.4 billion people is strange, I know) conference. I think
it could be worth checking if the conference parameters would still
fit for a Italian/Alps/European event.

It is great that we have chosen Taipei, Taiwan ROC as the location for
Wikimania 2007 and it would love it to be able to make it there.

Mathias

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Gordon Joly

It was almost certain that a decent bid from Asia would be successful.

We look forward to Wikimania 2007 and hope that Wikimania will swing
back to Europe in 2008!

Gordo

--
"Think Feynman"/////////
http://pobox.com/~gordo/

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Angela-5
> It was almost certain that a decent bid from Asia would be successful.

No it wasn't and I wish people didn't have this misconception.

All of the bids were considered against a range of criteria, not only
location. Amongst many other factors, Taipei offered the venue and
accommodation on a single site, and their organizing team had prior
experience from running the Chinese Wikimania this year. It's unfair
to them to suggest they only won because they're in Asia.

If Asia was a sure winner from the start, we wouldn't have needed a
meeting lasting more than 4 hours on Saturday to determine which city
would be successful. A few people seem to think that the others were
rejected purely for being in Europe, but that was not the case, and we
would have said from the start if we were only accepting bids from
other continents so as not to waste people's time.

Angela.

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Gatto Nero
2006/9/25, Gordon Joly <[hidden email]>:

> It was almost certain that a decent bid from Asia would be successful.
>
> We look forward to Wikimania 2007 and hope that Wikimania will swing
> back to Europe in 2008!
>
> Gordo

Then why did they open a WorldWide Contest?
They knew they were going to choose a city in Asia, then why
shortlisting 3 city out of Asia (and only one in it)?
That's ridicolous.
If "turnation" was that important, they would have told in a very
clear way by the begin: "We are gonna choose Asia, cities from Asia
can make a bid. Others not".

Gatto Nero
(that's what I talk about when I use the verb "be fooled")

On 9/25/06, Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Other events (please ignore differences in size by orders of magnitude)
> such as the Olympic Games do have a candidate city evaluation as
> well. If one city is chosen, the effort put into 20 other proposals is void.

Sorry, it is very hard to ignore the differences between Wikimania and
events like the Olympic Games.

> And there is another issue: How to we keep people working for
> Wikimania even if "their city" is not chosen this time. It is not
> wasting the goodwill of companies (especially multinational
> corporations) to ask if their offer for sponsorship still applies to
> the chosen location.

Right, but the bidding teams were encouraged to look for *local*
sponsors. Perhaps it would be better to explicitly forbid the teams to
do that before the city is chosen: The Wikimedia Foundation can look
for global sponsors long before the selection, and ask local sponsors
afterwards, together with the bidding team. Just an idea to lessen the
amount of work and minimize the possible disappointments.

Arne

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Alison M. Wheeler
On Mon, September 25, 2006 13:48, Arne Klempert wrote:
> Sorry, it is very hard to ignore the differences between Wikimania and
> events like the Olympic Games.

Actually, as it happens we'd had input from the successful London 2012
Olympics bid team and they were on board with our bid such that we were
able to offer Wikimania attendees at minimum a keynote from them and
probably a lot more, so it isn't that big a stretch!

Alison

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

valdelli@bluemail.ch
IMHO at least two other bids has had "the venue and accommodation on
a single site".

If people are looking for another reason it could because there is
not a simple reason like this.

Regards

Ilario

Copia: <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>

> It was almost certain that a decent bid from Asia would be
successful.

No it wasn't and I wish people didn't have this misconception.

All of the bids were considered against a range of criteria, not
only
location. Amongst many other factors, Taipei offered the venue and
accommodation on a single site, and their organizing team had
prior
experience from running the Chinese Wikimania this year. It's
unfair
to them to suggest they only won because they're in Asia.

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Damian Finol-2
Congratulations to the Taipei team!.

I would love to attend Wikimania 2007 :), when can we work on Invitation
letters for those of us who need to get a VISA? (I just got my brand new
'biometric' Venezuelan passport :) ).

And now to work my butt off to save around 5k$ (Airfare is 3k$!).

Damian Finol

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Sabine Cretella
Congratulations to the bidding team of Taipei. I believe it was a very
good choice  - you are very much behind your bid, you feel wikimania in
your city ... that came over during your answers in the chat ... well,
there's not much to say right now - just go ahead doing a great and fun
job :-)

Enjoy each moment of the following month - it will be a memorable period
for those who work on the event and for people who will attend it.

Best wishes from Italy,

Sabine

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Ray Saintonge
[hidden email] wrote:

>Good news,
>considering that all is paid by sponsorship (Halls and rooms,
>accomodations, catering) I think that these strong opportunities
>could offer to the wikipedians the incentive to make a long journey
>in a pleasant town.
>
>In any case I don't understand if only 450 beds are paid for
>sponsorship or if the sponsors will pay all 889 beds (http://meta.
>wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2007/Taipei#Accommodation) because a
>room in a Grand Hotel is expensive.

I saw the hotel room quotes for the Grand Hotel.  I stayed there in 1981
after being advised to ask for an "inside room"; the price for that was
quite reasonable compared to the regular price.  Are any of the given
quotes for an inside room?

Ec

Re: Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Hsiang-Tai Chien
Yes, you can take a "inside room" in the Grand Hotel. BTW, it should be
called as "Budget Room".

http://www.grand-hotel.org/newsite/html/e/ci01.htm

Also there are many nice hotels nearby CTOYAC and they can be easily reached
from Jian-Tan station by using the Metro Rapid Transportation of Taipei.

Best regards,
H.T.
EN:WP:User:Htchien
ZH:WP:User:Htchien