Talk pages consultation: Translating the Phase 1 report

Talk pages consultation: Translating the Phase 1 report

Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder
Hello, all,

We've posted the Phase 1 report for Talk pages consultation 2019 at https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_1_report

Here's how to help:

1)  Don't forget about https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Tech/News/2019/21 (which is quick and operates on a tight deadline).

2)  If you translate to English, from any of these languages:  ar ca zh nl fr de hi es pt ja no pl ru th  then please search (Control-F or ⌘F) on the page for your language code in square brackets (like this:  [ar] or [fr]).  That's the marker we're using to identify the quotations for each language.  Please make sure that the English translations (which are immediately underneath the original) are not significantly wrong.

If they are wrong, then I apologize, and I request that you boldly fix them.  Not misrepresenting people's quotations is really important to me.

3) Please translate the parts of the report that you think are most important.  I suggest considering https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_1_report#Proposed_product_direction and https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_1_report#Questions_for_Phase_2 but the decision is ultimately yours.

I did a quick calculation, and I think that translating the entire report would take an experienced translator about 40 to 50 hours.  I am therefore NOT asking anyone to translate the whole report.  In fact, only the top part of the report has been marked for translation (and even that seems like a huge request).  Please feel free to choose which pieces you want to focus on.

I think that there will be two more requests related to Phase 2 soon:  a CentralNotice banner (short and sweet) and a message for the Village Pumps.  Those are not ready for translation yet.

As always, if you have questions, then you can leave a note for me on wiki at http://mediawiki.org/wiki/User_talk:Whatamidoing_(WMF)

THANK YOU for your help.

--
Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder
Community Liaison

Re: Talk pages consultation: Translating the Phase 1 report

Sylvain Chiron
Le 17/05/2019 à 06:44, Whatamidoing (WMF)/Sherry Snyder a écrit :
> We've posted the Phase 1 report for Talk pages consultation 2019 at
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_1_report
>
> I did a quick calculation, and I think that translating the entire
> report would take an experienced translator about 40 to 50 hours.  I am
> therefore NOT asking anyone to translate the whole report.  In fact,
> only the top part of the report has been marked for translation (and
> even that seems like a huge request).  Please feel free to choose which
> pieces you want to focus on.

It might be difficult for users to be pertinent if they can’t understand
the more technical part. Could you please mark the rest of the page for
translation?
--
Sylvain (Frigory)

Re: Talk pages consultation: Translating the Phase 1 report

Sylvain Chiron
The report is now fully translated in French. Ow, who could imagine
translators could work so much? :P

We created a MediaWiki template to manage the quotations. See my comment
about design choices for this template here:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Talk:Talk_pages_consultation_2019/Phase_1_report#About_Template:Quotation_with_original

More time to translate the report and to allow the contributors to read
it would have been appreciated — :). So, more time before launching the
next phase and ending it, if you can. Hopefully the remaining week will
be enough in the French case. I think we shouldn’t hurry too much in the
discussions about the design of such an important project, if we don’t
want it to result in another discussion system that’ll end into the
trash. I’ll enjoy the Wikimedia projects having a modern discussion
system that fits the needs of everyone.

Best regards,

Sylvain Chiron (Frigory)