TeX broken

Robert Pfau
Hi
I updated from 1.5.8 to 1.6.3 without any obvious errors.
But now i see that my old and new math-pngs are no longer there
i get the following error:
**"Can't write to or create math output directory"

but i already chmoded all possible dirs to 0777 and the error still
occurs....
math/
images/math
images/tmp

so i activated the debugfile and found this hint.
TeX: getHashPath, hash is: 5bf47f8c9e5d845a3bb424ab6d1d087b, path is:
bla/w/images/math/5/b/f

so i looked for the designated dir and it didnt exist...so it looks like
mw cant create this dir
how can i fix this ?
it is strange because 1.5.8 didnt seperate the pngs but 1.6.3 does...
LocalSettings.php is exactly the same...

thanks in advance for any hint

.robert
**

**

**

Re: TeX broken

Jitse Niesen
On 4/20/06, Robert Pfau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> I updated from 1.5.8 to 1.6.3 without any obvious errors.
> But now i see that my old and new math-pngs are no longer there
> i get the following error:
> **"Can't write to or create math output directory"
>
> but i already chmoded all possible dirs to 0777 and the error still
> occurs....
> math/
> images/math
> images/tmp
>
> so i activated the debugfile and found this hint.
> TeX: getHashPath, hash is: 5bf47f8c9e5d845a3bb424ab6d1d087b, path is:
> bla/w/images/math/5/b/f
>
> so i looked for the designated dir and it didnt exist...so it looks like
> mw cant create this dir
> how can i fix this ?

It might have something to do with the umask. Look in
includes/Math.php around line 127 for the code fragment

   if( !@wfMkdirParents( $hashpath, 0755 ) ) {
      return $this->_error( 'math_bad_output' );
   }

and add

   $oldumask = umask(0);

before it and

   umask( $oldumask );

after it, and try again.

I don't know what the umask is normally set to, so I have no idea
whether this may work, but I notice that this is done in other places
where directories are created, e.g., in includes/Images.php . Perhaps
somebody with more experience could have a look whether this is at all
plausible?

> it is strange because 1.5.8 didnt seperate the pngs but 1.6.3 does...
> LocalSettings.php is exactly the same...

Yes, this changed. From the RELEASE-NOTES:

* changed directory hierarchy in images/math/. System upgrades from old to
  new hierarchy on the fly.

Jitse