Tech Talk: A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners [including non-techies!]

Tech Talk: A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners [including non-techies!]

Rachel Farrand
Please join for the following talk:

*Tech Talk**:* A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners
[including non-techies!]
*Presenter:* Asaf Bartov
*Date:* February 09, 2017
*Time: *19:00 UTC
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Tech+Talk%3A+A+Gentle+Introduction+to+Wikidata+for+Absolute+Beginners+%5Bincluding+non-techies%21%5D+&iso=20170209T19&p1=1440&ah=3>
Link to live YouTube stream <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrAx3AmUvA>
*IRC channel for questions/discussion:* #wikimedia-office

Re: Tech Talk: A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners [including non-techies!]

Rachel Farrand
Reminder! This talk starts in 1 hour!

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:35 PM, Rachel Farrand <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Please join for the following talk:
>
> *Tech Talk**:* A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners
> [including non-techies!]
> *Presenter:* Asaf Bartov
> *Date:* February 09, 2017
> *Time: *19:00 UTC
> <https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Tech+Talk%3A+A+Gentle+Introduction+to+Wikidata+for+Absolute+Beginners+%5Bincluding+non-techies%21%5D+&iso=20170209T19&p1=1440&ah=3>
> Link to live YouTube stream <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrAx3AmUvA>
> *IRC channel for questions/discussion:* #wikimedia-office

> latest major wiki project: Wikidata. We will cover what Wikidata is, how to
> contribute, how to embed Wikidata into articles on other wikis, tools like
> the Wikidata Game, and how to query Wikidata (including SPARQL examples).

Re: Tech Talk: A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners [including non-techies!]

Asaf Bartov-2
Here's the (3-hour) footage of the detailed Wikidata tutorial delivered
today:

on Commons:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_Gentle_Introduction_to_Wikidata_for_Absolute_Beginners_(including_non-techies!).webm

on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrAx3AmUvA

the slides:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikidata_-_A_Gentle_Introduction_for_Complete_Beginners_(WMF_February_2017).pdf

It covers what Wikidata is (00:00), how to contribute new data to Wikidata
(1:09:34), how to create an entirely new item on Wikidata (1:27:07), how to
embed data from Wikidata into pages on other wikis (1:52:54), tools like
the Wikidata Game (1:39:20), Article Placeholder (2:01:01), Reasonator
(2:54:15) and Mix-and-match (2:57:05), and how to query Wikidata (including
SPARQL examples) (starting 2:05:05).

Share and enjoy. :)

   A.

wrote:

> Please join for the following talk:
>
> *Tech Talk**:* A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners
> [including non-techies!]
> *Presenter:* Asaf Bartov
> *Date:* February 09, 2017
> *Time: *19:00 UTC
> <
> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Tech+Talk%3A+A+Gentle+Introduction+to+Wikidata+for+Absolute+Beginners+%5Bincluding+non-techies%21%5D+&iso=20170209T19&p1=1440&ah=3
> >
> Link to live YouTube stream <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrAx3AmUvA>
> *IRC channel for questions/discussion:* #wikimedia-office

> major wiki project: Wikidata. We will cover what Wikidata is, how to
> contribute, how to embed Wikidata into articles on other wikis, tools like
> the Wikidata Game, and how to query Wikidata (including SPARQL examples).

Re: Tech Talk: A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners [including non-techies!]

יגאל חיטרון-2
Thanks a lot!
Igal

On May 3, 2017 07:56, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello again.
>
> I'd like to let you know that thanks to Victor Grigas, the Commons video of
> this talk (link below) now has English subtitles, synced to the talk.  This
> should make it easier to *translate the subtitles *to make this video
> useful for fellow Wikimedians in other languages.
>
> It's a very long tutorial, so this would be a significant effort, perhaps
> best taken by a group, or piece by piece.  If you do complete the
> translation in any language, I'd love to hear about it.
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Asaf
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 10:32 PM Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Here's the (3-hour) footage of the detailed Wikidata tutorial delivered
> > today:
> >
> > on Commons:
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:A_Gentle_
> Introduction_to_Wikidata_for_Absolute_Beginners_(including_
> non-techies!).webm
> >
> > on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVrAx3AmUvA
> >
> > the slides:
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikidata_-_A_Gentle_
> Introduction_for_Complete_Beginners_(WMF_February_2017).pdf
> >
> > It covers what Wikidata is (00:00), how to contribute new data to
> Wikidata
> > (1:09:34), how to create an entirely new item on Wikidata (1:27:07), how
> > embed data from Wikidata into pages on other wikis (1:52:54), tools like
> > the Wikidata Game (1:39:20), Article Placeholder (2:01:01), Reasonator
> > (2:54:15) and Mix-and-match (2:57:05), and how to query Wikidata
> (including
> > SPARQL examples) (starting 2:05:05).
> >
> > Share and enjoy. :)
> >
> >    A.
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 4:35 PM Rachel Farrand <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Please join for the following talk:
> >>
> >> *Tech Talk**:* A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners
> >> [including non-techies!]
> >> *Presenter:* Asaf Bartov
> >> *Date:* February 09, 2017
> >> *Time: *19:00 UTC
> >> <
> >> https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=
> Tech+Talk%3A+A+Gentle+Introduction+to+Wikidata+for+Absolute+Beginners+%
> 5Bincluding+non-techies%21%5D+&iso=20170209T19&p1=1440&ah=3
> >> >
> >> Link to live YouTube stream <https://www.youtube.com/
> watch?v=eVrAx3AmUvA>
> >> *IRC channel for questions/discussion:* #wikimedia-office

> latest
> >> major wiki project: Wikidata. We will cover what Wikidata is, how to
> >> contribute, how to embed Wikidata into articles on other wikis, tools
> like
> >> the Wikidata Game, and how to query Wikidata (including SPARQL
> examples).

Re: Tech Talk: A Gentle Introduction to Wikidata for Absolute Beginners [including non-techies!]

zppix e
maybe a wp-l post would help find translators?

Zppix
Volunteer developer for WMF
enwp.org/User:Zppix

On Jun 25, 2017 4:16 AM, "Asaf Bartov" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'd like to specially praise *the Turkish volunteer User:Basak* for
creating the first *complete* translation of the subtitles for this 3-hour
tutorial.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/TimedText:A_Gentle_
Introduction_to_Wikidata_for_Absolute_Beginners_(including_
non-techies!).webm.tr.srt

Thank you, Basak!

(if you find this talk useful, do consider contributing to the translation
effort (from the complete English subtitles), or help recruit someone who
can.)

   A.