TechCom Radar, 2017-11-01

Daniel Kinzler-2
Hello all!

Here are the minutes from this week's meeting:

* TechCom would like to thank Kevin Smith for his help with facilitating and
note taking. We hope to see you around, Kevin!

* Previous IRC meeting: How to modify all preferences?
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T178449>. Outcome: Introducing a
PreferenceFactory service seems like a good idea, but there are several issues
to resolve with the implementation as proposed. RFC remains under discussion.

* Last Call canceled: Bump PHP requirement to 5.6 in 1.31
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T178538>. The RFC goes back to “under
discussion” due to an issue raised by Anomie
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T172165#3699606>.

* Discussion on wikitech-l: Proposal regarding the handling of imported
usernames
<https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2017-October/089047.html>.

* Next IRC meeting: Gathering input on the RFC process. We want to hear from you
what you like or dislike about the RFC process. If you have criticism or
suggestions, please let us know. Note that we have diverged quite a bit from the
process as documented at Requests_for_comment/Process. This session is part of a
drive to overhaul our processes and improve documentation.

As always, the discussion will take place in the IRC channel
#wikimedia-office on Wednesday 21:00 UTC (2pm PDT, 23:00 CEST).

* Daniel has published a rant about how unclear ownership makes it hard to
address technical debt
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Daniel_Kinzler_(WMDE)/Avoiding_the_Tech_Debt_Trap>.
This topic was brought up during the discussion about FauxRequest
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169266>.

You can also find our meeting minutes at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Minutes>

See also the TechCom RFC board
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-rfcs/>.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Platform Engineer

Wikimedia Deutschland
Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.

Re: TechCom Radar, 2017-11-01

Daniel Kinzler-2
Am 06.11.2017 um 17:10 schrieb Daniel Kinzler:
> * Next IRC meeting: Gathering input on the RFC process. We want to hear from you
> what you like or dislike about the RFC process. If you have criticism or
> suggestions, please let us know. Note that we have diverged quite a bit from the
> process as documented at Requests_for_comment/Process. This session is part of a
> drive to overhaul our processes and improve documentation.
>
> As always, the discussion will take place in the IRC channel
> #wikimedia-office on Wednesday 21:00 UTC (2pm PDT, 23:00 CEST).

Slight correction: since Europe and America are on winter time now, the meeting
is at 22:00 UTC. The local times I have in my original mail are correct, though
(2pm PDT, 23:00 CEST)