TechCom Radar 2019-09-18

Daniel Kinzler-3
Hi All,

Here are the minutes from this week's TechCom meeting:

* RFC Last Call until 2019-10-02: Drop IE6 and IE7 basic compatibility and
security support <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T232563>. This means we can
remove code that works around issues with IE6 and IE7. If no concerns remain
unaddressed by October 2nd, the RFC will be approved as proposed.

* Discussed: Kickoff of the Front-end Architecture Working Group (FAWG)
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Front_End_Architecture_Working_Group>. The
purpose of the Frontent Architecture Working Group is to propose an architecture
for a more modern front-end to MediaWiki, enabling a richer user experience.
Efforts to modernize the user interface have often struggled with limitations
imposed by MediaWiki core and the overall system architecture. FAWG is
an effort by the Product and Technology departments to develop a mid-term plan
to overcome these limitations.

* Discussed: Section headings with clickable anchor
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T18691>. This is about a "link to this
section" feature pegged for deployment on WMF wikis. The RFC is to make sure
that there are no performance issues with this change.

* IRC discussion next week: Core REST API namespace and version
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T232485>. This is about versioning strategies
for public APIs. As always, the meeting will take place on Freenode in the
#wikimedia-office channel, at 21:00 UTC (2pm PDT, 23:00 CEST).

You can also find our meeting minutes at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Minutes>

See also the TechCom RFC board
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-rfcs/>.

If you prefer you can subscribe to our newsletter here
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Newsletter:TechCom_Radar>

Cheers,
Daniel

Re: TechCom Radar 2019-09-18

Máté Szabó
Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the update. I was wondering, how does the new Front-end Architecture Working Group relate to the existing Front-end Standards Group?[1] Does it replace the previous group or do they operate independently?

[1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/1616/

Cheers,
Máté Szabó
SOFTWARE ENGINEER
+36 30 947 5903

WIKIA sp. z o.o. z siedzibą w Poznaniu, ul. Abp. A. Baraniaka 6
Sąd Rejonowy Poznań – Nowe Miasto i Wilda w Poznaniu, VIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, KRS 0000254365
NIP: 5252358778
Kapitał zakładowy: 50.000,00 złotych

> On 20 Sep 2019, at 13:20, Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Here are the minutes from this week's TechCom meeting:
>

> * RFC Last Call until 2019-10-02: Drop IE6 and IE7 basic compatibility and
> security support <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T232563>. This means we can
> remove code that works around issues with IE6 and IE7. If no concerns remain
> unaddressed by October 2nd, the RFC will be approved as proposed.
>
> * Discussed: Kickoff of the Front-end Architecture Working Group (FAWG)
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Front_End_Architecture_Working_Group>. The
> purpose of the Frontent Architecture Working Group is to propose an architecture
> for a more modern front-end to MediaWiki, enabling a richer user experience.
> Efforts to modernize the user interface have often struggled with limitations
> imposed by MediaWiki core and the overall system architecture. FAWG is
> an effort by the Product and Technology departments to develop a mid-term plan
> to overcome these limitations.
>
> * Discussed: Section headings with clickable anchor
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T18691>. This is about a "link to this
> section" feature pegged for deployment on WMF wikis. The RFC is to make sure
> that there are no performance issues with this change.
>
> * IRC discussion next week: Core REST API namespace and version
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T232485>. This is about versioning strategies
> for public APIs. As always, the meeting will take place on Freenode in the
> #wikimedia-office channel, at 21:00 UTC (2pm PDT, 23:00 CEST).
>

> You can also find our meeting minutes at
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Minutes>
>
> See also the TechCom RFC board
> <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-rfcs/>.
>
> If you prefer you can subscribe to our newsletter here
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Newsletter:TechCom_Radar>
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel

Re: TechCom Radar 2019-09-18

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 7:21 AM Daniel Kinzler <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The purpose of the Frontent Architecture Working Group is to propose an
> architecture
> for a more modern front-end to MediaWiki, enabling a richer user
> experience.
> Efforts to modernize the user interface have often struggled with
> limitations
> imposed by MediaWiki core and the overall system architecture.

When I read things like this, I worry that "limitations" that people want
to get rid of include things like "basic functionality if the browser lacks
JS/CSS (or has them disabled)" and "basic functionality on a fairly generic
LAMP webhost, without running a bunch of bespoke services (even via
containers)."

Note neither of those limitations preclude requiring more advanced
technology for "a richer user experience", but IMO we should carefully
consider the tradeoff each time we lock some functionality behind a
"richer" wall.

--
Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
Senior Software Engineer

Re: TechCom Radar 2019-09-18

Daniel Kinzler-3
Hi Máté,

Sorry for the late reply!

Am 20.09.19 um 14:13 schrieb Máté Szabó:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thank you for the update. I was wondering, how does the new Front-end Architecture Working Group relate to the existing Front-end Standards Group?[1] Does it replace the previous group or do they operate independently?

The Frontend Architecture Working Group is independent of the Front-end
Standards Group, but has substantial overlap: Roan, Timo, Santhosh, and Moriel
are in both groups.

While the long term goals of both groups overlap, the Front-end Standards Group
has focused on standardizing libraries and best practices for the client side,
across teams. It's a permanent institution. The Front-end Architecture Working
Group is intended to exist for a limited time, and drive specific changes to the
architecture that will empower us to modernize the front-end.

I hope this clarifies the relationship of the two groups.

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Software Engineer, Core Platform