TechCom meeting 2020-09-16

Daniel Kinzler-3
This is the weekly TechCom board review in preparation of our meeting on
Wednesday. If there are additional topics for TechCom to review, please let us
know by replying to this email. However, please keep discussion about individual
RFCs to the Phabricator tickets.

Activity since Monday 2020-09-07 on the following boards:

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/techcom/
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/techcom-rfc/

IRC meeting request:
* Public discussion TODAY: "PHP microservice for containerized shell execution"
  Join us at 21:00 UTC (23:00 CEST, 2pm PDT) in the #wikimedia-office channel
  on freenode. <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T260330>.

Other RFC activity:
* "Parsoid Extension API": Subbu documented status of outreach with
  various stakeholders. <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T260714>

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Software Engineer, Core Platform

Re: TechCom meeting 2020-09-16

Krinkle
The minutes from TechCom's triage meeting on 2020-09-16.

Present:  Daniel K, Dan A, Giuseppe L, Tim S, Timo T.

== Links Recommendations Service ==

* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T261411
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T252822
* GL: Idea is to store a blob of wikitext for every page
* What’s best practice for storing derived data that would be invalidated
by every edit?
* TS: similar to data pipelines like page content service
* TS: similar to links tables
* DK: have some kind of “slow” page_props.
* TS: will lead to race conditions
* GL: wikitext for every page may mean considerable volume
* DK: might fit the generalized parser cache. Would have to be even more
generalized.
* DK: Dependency Engine may solve part of this, though not storage

== EventStream needs timestamps ==

* DA: EventStream needs timestamps, which some event hooks are missing.
* Pass LogEntry objects to relevant hooks?
* DK: adding parameters to hooks is a breaking interface change.
* TS: hook deprecation mechanism should take care of this.
* DA: ArticleDelete hook exposes it already, works well, getTimestamp. Can
do for others.
* TT: In light of T212482, be sure to type against a narrower getter-only
interface as the set/save methods must not be used at that point.
* DK: That’s a good idea also to enable async hooks, safe to serialize
value objects. NonSerializable trait may be useful
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/core/+/625612

== Next week IRC office hours ==
No IRC discussion scheduled for next week.