TechCom weekly digest 2020-08-26

Daniel Kinzler-3
Dear Wikitech-l,

As TechCom (Wikimedia Technical Committee) we triage and review our Phabricator
boards, #techcom and #techcom-rfc, for activity. We also have a weekly meeting
in which the board triage and other topics are discussed. A short summary of
this meeting is published to mediawiki.org and on Wikitech-l, as part TechCom Radar.

In an effort to encourage wider and less formal participation through Wikitech-l
(and to make our process more asynchronous) we'll also write to Wikitech-l as
part of the board triage going forward. You may already have seen the first
board grooming mail here a couple of days ago. We are also expanding the TechCom
Radar to (once again) include our meeting minutes. Please feel free to join the
conversation!

Here are the minutes from our meeting on Wednesday:

Present: Daniel K, Tim S, Giuseppe L, Timo T, Dan A, Roan K.

== New link service ==
*
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Growth/Personalized_first_day/Structured_tasks#Prioritizing_%22add_a_link%22
* Guiseppe: Showing suggested links for editors using ML. How do we store ML
  models in production, update them?
* Dan: isn’t this the purview of Chris’s ML infrastructure team?
* Giuseppe: long-term, yes, but not directly their responsibility right now. The
  general architectural issue is: we want a sustainable way to generate ML
  models, and ship them to applications using them. This process should be
  streamlined - the current pattern of slapping the models in git-lfs is not
  sustainable long-term.
* Roan: explains about the project, a collaboration with Research to suggest
  links to add to articles.  Docs/write-ups are emerging (and more focused on
  UX)
* Daniel: Create an RFC?

== Upcoming datacenter switchover ==
* https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Switch_Datacenter
* Next week, Tue 1 Sept, 14:00 UTC.

== RFC: New API for Parsoid extensions ==
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T260714
* Daniel: Should it go on last call?
* Tim: no urgency to closing this. The review they’re asking for hasn’t been
  done yet.
* Timo: They’ve done a fair bit of research and outreach offline prior to the
  RFC. They’re looking for explicit approval from would-be users of their new
  API for parser extensions. Once that completes, they should ask for Last Call.

== Shell execute microservice ==
* https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T260330
* Tim: New initiative being started by Platform Engineering.
  Will turn into an RFC.
* Tim: Affects every shell execution, can be used in small/medium wiki instances
  that aren’t hosted by WMF, seems cross-cutting, affects over 30 extensions.

You can also find our meeting minutes at
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Committee/Minutes>

If you prefer you can subscribe to our newsletter here
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Newsletter:TechCom_Radar>

--
Daniel Kinzler
Principal Software Engineer, Core Platform

Re: TechCom weekly digest 2020-08-26

Subramanya Sastry
On 8/28/20 6:19 AM, Daniel Kinzler wrote:

> In an effort to encourage wider and less formal participation through Wikitech-l
> (and to make our process more asynchronous) we'll also write to Wikitech-l as
> part of the board triage going forward.

Thank you! :)

> == RFC: New API for Parsoid extensions ==
> * https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T260714
> * Daniel: Should it go on last call?
> * Tim: no urgency to closing this. The review they’re asking for hasn’t been
>    done yet.
> * Timo: They’ve done a fair bit of research and outreach offline prior to the
>    RFC. They’re looking for explicit approval from would-be users of their new
>    API for parser extensions. Once that completes, they should ask for Last Call.

As per the phab ticket, I / we are looking for: "Get explicit approval
of the core design of Parsoid's Extension API from TechCom." <--- note
that is not from users, but TechCom. But, if TechCom feels that it can /
should be user (extension-developer) feedback based on usage / adoption,
that is fine. But, I just wanted to clarify this so there is no
misunderstanding around it. So, as far as we are concerned, if TechCom
is happy with it, it can go to Last Call. It doesn't mean all the
specific details are set in stone, but just that we the design decisions
and direction are established.

FWIW, some of the folks who watched the Tech Talk on Aug 12 [1] had
positive feedback about the API, but that is anecdotal and we don't have
a mechanism in place to ask for explicit approval from extension authors
and don't think that is necessary either. Some amount of disruption is
expected and some extensions will probably be more impacted than others,
but overall, we think this is a good step forward in the longer term
direction along which we are nudging wikitext.

Subbu.

1.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Technical_Talks#Episode_6:_Retargeting_extensions_to_work_with_Parsoid