Technical Design Intern Search | Job description

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Technical Design Intern Search | Job description

Maria Cruz
Hello all,

There is a new internship opportunity in the Community Engagement
department for a Technical Design Intern. We are looking for a candidate
who works and/or studies in the field of computer science and information
systems, has experience in advanced wiki markup and design skills for web,
and the ability to excel in a fast-paced, multitasking environment, among
other qualifications.  Knowledge and or experience with Wikimedia Projects
a plus!

The Technical Design Intern will work closely with the Communications and
Outreach Coordinator (that would be me!) on the Wikimedia Resource Center,
the redesign of the Evaluation Portal on Meta Wikimedia, and migration and
archiving of L&E portal pages from existing namespaces to new namespace,
among other tasks. You can find the complete job description here:
https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/488570#.WBE6X-ErKRs

If you are interested, please apply. If you know someone who might fit this
position, please forward the email to them!

Cheers,


*María Cruz * \\  Communications and Outreach Coordinator, L&E Team \\
Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
[hidden email]  |  Twitter:  @marianarra_
<https://twitter.com/marianarra_>
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Technical Design Intern Search | Job description

Cyken Zeraux
Typically I don't reply to emails concerning internal work, but I've always
found this:

   - Must be a current student or a recent graduate pursuing a degree in
   Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Electronics
   Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a closely related discipline

To be a killer to potential advocates that would have a far greater chance
of success in the position due to time, and direct knowledge of the
organization and software in question.

Anyways, hope to see another on the wikimedia crew.

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Maria Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> There is a new internship opportunity in the Community Engagement
> department for a Technical Design Intern. We are looking for a candidate
> who works and/or studies in the field of computer science and information
> systems, has experience in advanced wiki markup and design skills for web,
> and the ability to excel in a fast-paced, multitasking environment, among
> other qualifications.  Knowledge and or experience with Wikimedia Projects
> a plus!
>
> The Technical Design Intern will work closely with the Communications and
> Outreach Coordinator (that would be me!) on the Wikimedia Resource Center,
> the redesign of the Evaluation Portal on Meta Wikimedia, and migration and
> archiving of L&E portal pages from existing namespaces to new namespace,
> among other tasks. You can find the complete job description here:
> https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/488570#.WBE6X-ErKRs
>
> If you are interested, please apply. If you know someone who might fit this
> position, please forward the email to them!
>
> Cheers,
>
>
> *María Cruz * \\  Communications and Outreach Coordinator, L&E Team \\
> Wikimedia
> Foundation, Inc.
> [hidden email]  |  Twitter:  @marianarra_
> <https://twitter.com/marianarra_>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Technical Design Intern Search | Job description

Maria Cruz
Hi Cyken,
Thank you for your feedback on the job description. This, added to Jonathan
Morgan's feedback has helped us adjust the JD to better reflect what we are
looking for.

We have updated the job position now to say the following:

*We’d like you to have these skills:*

The Technical Design Intern should have the following experience and
personal characteristics:

- Experience in metawiki mark-up and technical communications experience in
designing for web content curation and user flow
- Proficiency in at least three of the following programming languages:
Javascript, Lua, Python, MySQL
- Experience developing or administrating MediaWiki websites
- A strong interest in archival systems, searchability and usable portals
on wiki.
- High energy for, and commitment to, the Wikimedia Foundation’s free
knowledge mission
- Strong track record of positive and friendly communication with diverse
cultural and language communities
- Proven ability to adhere to deadlines and to seek out learning & support
for collaborative projects
- Willingness to accommodate scheduling requirements of frequent
interactions across time zones, with collaborators from around the world
- Technical skills for designing Wikimedia templates and pages

*And it would be even more awesome if you have this:*

- Understanding of the existing landscape of different Wikimedia programs
(a plus)
- Strong record of contributing to Wikimedia projects (a major plus)

Thanks again for the feedback! Please help us promote the search among
people who might be interested.

Best,

María

On Oct 26, 2016 9:02 PM, "Cyken Zeraux" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Typically I don't reply to emails concerning internal work, but I've always
> found this:
>
>    - Must be a current student or a recent graduate pursuing a degree in
>    Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Electronics
>    Engineering, Electrical Engineering or a closely related discipline
>
> To be a killer to potential advocates that would have a far greater chance
> of success in the position due to time, and direct knowledge of the
> organization and software in question.
>
> Anyways, hope to see another on the wikimedia crew.
>
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 6:47 PM, Maria Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > There is a new internship opportunity in the Community Engagement
> > department for a Technical Design Intern. We are looking for a candidate
> > who works and/or studies in the field of computer science and information
> > systems, has experience in advanced wiki markup and design skills for
> web,
> > and the ability to excel in a fast-paced, multitasking environment, among
> > other qualifications.  Knowledge and or experience with Wikimedia
> Projects
> > a plus!
> >
> > The Technical Design Intern will work closely with the Communications and
> > Outreach Coordinator (that would be me!) on the Wikimedia Resource
> Center,
> > the redesign of the Evaluation Portal on Meta Wikimedia, and migration
> and
> > archiving of L&E portal pages from existing namespaces to new namespace,
> > among other tasks. You can find the complete job description here:
> > https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/488570#.WBE6X-ErKRs
> >
> > If you are interested, please apply. If you know someone who might fit
> this
> > position, please forward the email to them!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >
> > *María Cruz * \\  Communications and Outreach Coordinator, L&E Team \\
> > Wikimedia
> > Foundation, Inc.
> > [hidden email]  |  Twitter:  @marianarra_
> > <https://twitter.com/marianarra_>
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikitech-l mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
> _______________________________________________
> Wikitech-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Technical Design Intern Search | Job description

Brian Wolff
On Thursday, October 27, 2016, Maria Cruz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Cyken,
> Thank you for your feedback on the job description. This, added to
Jonathan
> Morgan's feedback has helped us adjust the JD to better reflect what we
are

> looking for.
>
> We have updated the job position now to say the following:
>
> *We’d like you to have these skills:*
>
> The Technical Design Intern should have the following experience and
> personal characteristics:
>
> - Experience in metawiki mark-up and technical communications experience
in
> designing for web content curation and user flow
> [..]

Presumably you meant MediaWiki markup not metawiki?

--
Bawolff
_______________________________________________
Wikitech-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikitech-l