Tell my favorite conference about your Wikimedia tech

Tell my favorite conference about your Wikimedia tech

Roan Kattouw-2
The linux.conf.au conference, which I have presented to and love going
to, just opened up its call for talks: http://linux.conf.au/cfp . They
want talks about all kinds of open source programming stuff, not just
Linux: Trevor and I presented about ResourceLoader in 2012, and James
and I  presented about VisualEditor in 2014.

LCA 2015 will be 12-16 January in Auckland, New Zealand. That's summer
in the Southern  Hemisphere, and the climate there is very moderate,
so no sweltering heat like in Australia :)

LCA provides travel funding to some speakers, and Wikimedia funds TPS
grants for people going  to conferences to talk about
Wikimedia-related things: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:TPS .
So you could even get to go for free.

LCA is basically my favorite conference - the talks are great and of
high quality, they treat speakers well, and their audience gets what
we're doing. This is a fun chance to show off your project. I
encourage you to suggest a talk, or tell someone else that they should
talk about their project.

Roan

P.S.: Thanks to Sumana for writing most of this email, and for talking
me into proposing a talk for LCA in the first place back in 2011

Re: Tell my favorite conference about your Wikimedia tech

Luis Villa
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM, Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> they treat speakers well,

I got a balloon ride the year I spoke. It was trumped the next year by a
helicopter ride. Definitely an amazing trip.

Luis

On Jun 12, 2014 4:08 PM, "Luis Villa" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got a balloon ride the year I spoke. It was trumped the next year by a
> helicopter ride. Definitely an amazing trip.

Wow, when was that?! I got no such thing :)

In 2012 they did take all the speakers a show (and dinner) at a staged Gold
Rush town (which is the *the* tourist attraction in Ballarat), in 2014 it
was just a dinner at the local marina.

Roan

Re: Tell my favorite conference about your Wikimedia tech

Luis Villa
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:56 PM, Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2014 4:08 PM, "Luis Villa" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I got a balloon ride the year I spoke. It was trumped the next year by a
> > helicopter ride. Definitely an amazing trip.
> >
> Wow, when was that?! I got no such thing :)
>
> In 2012 they did take all the speakers a show (and dinner) at a staged Gold
> Rush town (which is the *the* tourist attraction in Ballarat), in 2014 it
> was just a dinner at the local marina.

'05 for balloons over lovely Canberra, '06 for helicopters over Sydney
harbor. (I only went in '05, heard about '06 later.) Maybe they've toned it
down a little, but still a great conference!

Luis

Re: Tell my favorite conference about your Wikimedia tech

Tyler Romeo
I’ve always wanted to submit a cool MediaWiki talk to these conferences, but I have no idea what I’d talk about (or whether I’m even experienced enough to talk about anything at a conference). Are there any guidelines on what would make a good talk?
--
Tyler Romeo
0xC86B42DF

From: Luis Villa [hidden email]
Reply: Wikimedia developers [hidden email]
Date: June 13, 2014 at 10:05:14
To: Wikimedia developers [hidden email]
Subject:  Re: [Wikitech-l] Tell my favorite conference about your Wikimedia tech

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve always wanted to submit a cool MediaWiki talk to these conferences,
> but I have no idea what I’d talk about (or whether I’m even experienced
> enough to talk about anything at a conference).

The answer to that second part is "yes" :) LCA is not TED :) Background on
their speaker selection process and what makes for a good submission
(useful for any conference, not just LCA):
http://opensource.com/life/14/1/get-your-conference-talk-submission-accepted

> Are there any guidelines on what would make a good talk?

http://speaking.io/plan/an-idea/ ?

[All of speaking.io is useful.]

HTH-
Luis

Re: Tell my favorite conference about your Wikimedia tech

Sumana Harihareswara-2
Thanks, Luis! And for Tyler or anyone else on this list who has the same
questions:

Sometimes I come up with a talk idea by asking myself, "What do I know
now that I wish I'd known a year ago?" This is a way to think about what
you've learned that a lot of other people don't know as well as you.
That's basically how I thought of "A Few Python Tips". To practice it in
front of a small crowd first, I'm doing a tech talk this Thursday:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Meetings/2014-06-19 before I talk next
week at Open Source Bridge.

To give a Wikimedia tech talk about your topic:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Calendar/How_to_schedule_an_event

And, just like with submitting patches, don't reject *yourself* before
the conference organizers have a chance to. ;-)

-Sumana

On 06/13/2014 10:52 AM, Luis Villa wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I’ve always wanted to submit a cool MediaWiki talk to these conferences,
>> but I have no idea what I’d talk about (or whether I’m even experienced
>> enough to talk about anything at a conference).
>>

> The answer to that second part is "yes" :) LCA is not TED :) Background on
> their speaker selection process and what makes for a good submission
> (useful for any conference, not just LCA):
> http://opensource.com/life/14/1/get-your-conference-talk-submission-accepted
>

>> Are there any guidelines on what would make a good talk?
>>

> http://speaking.io/plan/an-idea/ ?
>
> [All of speaking.io is useful.]
>
> HTH-
> Luis

Re: Tell my favorite conference about your Wikimedia tech

Nikolas Everett
Man!  I'd love to go ride in a balloon and give a talk but Auckland is so
close to half way around the world....

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Sumana Harihareswara <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Luis! And for Tyler or anyone else on this list who has the same
> questions:
>
> Sometimes I come up with a talk idea by asking myself, "What do I know
> now that I wish I'd known a year ago?" This is a way to think about what
> you've learned that a lot of other people don't know as well as you.
> That's basically how I thought of "A Few Python Tips". To practice it in
> front of a small crowd first, I'm doing a tech talk this Thursday:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Meetings/2014-06-19 before I talk next
> week at Open Source Bridge.
>
> To give a Wikimedia tech talk about your topic:
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Calendar/How_to_schedule_an_event
>
> And, just like with submitting patches, don't reject *yourself* before
> the conference organizers have a chance to. ;-)
>
> -Sumana
>

> On 06/13/2014 10:52 AM, Luis Villa wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I’ve always wanted to submit a cool MediaWiki talk to these conferences,
> >> but I have no idea what I’d talk about (or whether I’m even experienced
> >> enough to talk about anything at a conference).
> >>

> > The answer to that second part is "yes" :) LCA is not TED :) Background
> on
> > their speaker selection process and what makes for a good submission
> > (useful for any conference, not just LCA):
> >
> http://opensource.com/life/14/1/get-your-conference-talk-submission-accepted
> >

> >> Are there any guidelines on what would make a good talk?
> >>

> > http://speaking.io/plan/an-idea/ ?
> >
> > [All of speaking.io is useful.]
> >
> > HTH-
> > Luis

Re: Tell my favorite conference about your Wikimedia tech

Sumana Harihareswara-2
Deadline extended to Sunday 20 July. http://linux.conf.au/media/news/41 The
conference organisers will notify you (about whether they accepted your
talk) in September.

 linux.conf.au/cfp

Sumana Harihareswara
Senior Technical Writer