Template is closing unclosed tag (e.g. DIV)

Template is closing unclosed tag (e.g. DIV)

Gerrit Quast
Hi,

some problem I was stating about a week ago already. I just give it
another try and hope for help:

Like in the portal-box skeleton template on mediawiki, I'd like to
have one template that opens a DIV container and a second one that
closes the DIV container. Between the two template calls I could place
my content. The DIV container can draw a nice portlet-like border
around the content then...

Since this is done exactly that way at mediawiki page and wikipedia, I
don't understand why it doesn't work for my installations (1.5.5
each).

The problem is that for every template, mediawiki closes tags that
left open. The second template (only the closing DIV) is escaped and
appears as clear text.

Does anyone know how to switch off this feature in case it is one?

Thanks a lot, Gerrit

Images side by side

KarlBlau
Hi,

I have a page that shows a lot of images thumbs. At the moment I do it
this way:

[[Image:Snap_Texturing.png|center|thumb|Texture Mapping]]
[[Image:Snap_Colorbar.png|center|thumb|Color Bar]]
[[Image:Snap_Isolines.png|center|thumb|Isolines]]
[[Image:Snap_Cutplane.png|center|thumb|Cutplane]]

The thumb images are drawn one below the other. I would prefer the
images to be
side by side.

Is this possible?

Thanks, MB

Re: Template is closing unclosed tag (e.g. DIV)

Rick DeNatale
On 1/26/06, Gerrit Quast <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> some problem I was stating about a week ago already. I just give it
> another try and hope for help:
>
> Like in the portal-box skeleton template on mediawiki, I'd like to
> have one template that opens a DIV container and a second one that
> closes the DIV container. Between the two template calls I could place
> my content. The DIV container can draw a nice portlet-like border
> around the content then...
>
> Since this is done exactly that way at mediawiki page and wikipedia, I
> don't understand why it doesn't work for my installations (1.5.5
> each).
>
> The problem is that for every template, mediawiki closes tags that
> left open. The second template (only the closing DIV) is escaped and
> appears as clear text.
>
> Does anyone know how to switch off this feature in case it is one?

Not that it helps, but this sounds very much like a question which
someone asked a month or more ago, and never as far as I know got
answered.

Keep in mind that the wikimedia foundation websites are usually
running the latest development code or quite close to it, so that
1.5.x installations might not behave in exactly the same way as
wikipedia or it's kin.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Re: Images side by side

Bugzilla from rowan.collins@gmail.com
On 26/01/06, Martin Baumann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The thumb images are drawn one below the other. I would prefer the
> images to be
> side by side.

See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Image
or, possibly easier to read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Extended_image_syntax
and:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Gallery

(methinks the first of those needs splitting, but I'm not going to
start on that now)

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]

Re: Template is closing unclosed tag (e.g. DIV)

Brion Vibber
Gerrit Quast wrote:
> The problem is that for every template, mediawiki closes tags that
> left open. The second template (only the closing DIV) is escaped and
> appears as clear text.

IIRC, there's a bug in the parser cleanup when HTML Tidy is enabled which causes
it to _not_ close the open tags for each template.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Template is closing unclosed tag (e.g. DIV)

Rick DeNatale
> Gerrit Quast wrote:
> > The problem is that for every template, mediawiki closes tags that
> > left open. The second template (only the closing DIV) is escaped and
> > appears as clear text.
>
> IIRC, there's a bug in the parser cleanup when HTML Tidy is enabled which causes
> it to _not_ close the open tags for each template.

Of course one man's bug is another feature.

If so it looks like it's a bug which is being used by the Portal
templates on wikipedia.

Someone asked a month or so ago why some of the wikipedia portal
templates weren't working the same way on their installation as they
did on wikipedia.

Have a look at the template:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Portal:Box-header&action=edit

It leaves an open <div> to be closed by another template:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Portal:Box-footer&action=edit

Rick DeNatale wrote:
> On 1/26/06, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Gerrit Quast wrote:
>>> The problem is that for every template, mediawiki closes tags that
>>> left open. The second template (only the closing DIV) is escaped and
>>> appears as clear text.
>> IIRC, there's a bug in the parser cleanup when HTML Tidy is enabled which causes
>> it to _not_ close the open tags for each template.
>
> Of course one man's bug is another feature.

Well, that "feature" will break, badly, in future versions of MediaWiki which
fix up the parser.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Template is closing unclosed tag (e.g. DIV)

Rick DeNatale

> Rick DeNatale wrote:
> >> IIRC, there's a bug in the parser cleanup when HTML Tidy is enabled which causes
> >> it to _not_ close the open tags for each template.
> >
> > Of course one man's bug is another feature.
>
> Well, that "feature" will break, badly, in future versions of MediaWiki which
> fix up the parser.

I don't use it myself, but when it breaks, it's going to break a LOT
of portal pages on wikipedia.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Re: Template is closing unclosed tag (e.g. DIV)

Gerrit Quast
Hi crew,

great to finally get a discussion on that topic.

I of course see the point of fixing broken tags in templates to keep
the generated HTML clean. But besides tags that are left unclosed
accidentally, we have a real use case for this as we see for the box
template.

Since I'm not too long into wiki usage, the suggestion might be wrong,
but maybe it could solve this issue: A flag that turns on/off the
parser's "error handling" by adding something like __DO_NOT_FIX_TAGS__
would be cool. Feasible or not?

Thanks, Gerrit

On 1/27/06, Rick DeNatale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/26/06, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Rick DeNatale wrote:
> > >
> > > Of course one man's bug is another feature.
> >
> > Well, that "feature" will break, badly, in future versions of MediaWiki which
> > fix up the parser.
>
> I don't use it myself, but when it breaks, it's going to break a LOT
> of portal pages on wikipedia.
>
> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
> http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

Gerrit Quast

[hidden email]
http://www.gerritquast.org

Re: Template is closing unclosed tag (e.g. DIV)

Domas Mituzas

> I don't use it myself, but when it breaks, it's going to break a LOT
> of portal pages on wikipedia.

OMG, lots of portal pages will be broken!!!

Domas