Term statistics on wiktionaryz

Michael Monaghan
Hi,

Suppose I have a category called say, 'Technology' , that has 100
terms/articles in it.

Can WiktionaryZ tell me how many of those terms in that category have
translations in say, Japanese?

If not possible via the UI, presumably it would be possible through sql?

Thanks,

~mm

Re: Term statistics on wiktionaryz

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
WiktionaryZ does not have categories. The standard MediaWiki sense of
the word have categories because it is a way of bootstrapping some
relational functionality to articles created in a MediaWiki wiki. As
Wikidata data already exists in a relational database, there is no need
for categories in the traditional sense; the functionality can be
integrated in the application itself.

This functionality, is key to enabling WiktionaryZ to the use of
terminology. At this moment in time, WiktionaryZ is still very much
pre-alpha; it does not have the notion of domains build in. Really
clever things can be done when there is a well thought out set structure
of domains like relationtypes that are only available when a
DefinedMeaning is in a particular domain.

The second part of your question, yes we want to have a function that
informs you what DefinedMeaning exists with a related Expression in a
language and without the existence of an Expression in a second
language. In one way this will be an SQL query, the issue is however
that it needs to be efficient AND, you have to appreciate that there are
only 7602 languages in the current ISO-639-3. Therefore, this
functionality needs to be really efficient because it is likely to be
very popular functionality.

Thanks,
    GerardM

Michael Monaghan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Suppose I have a category called say, 'Technology' , that has 100
> terms/articles in it.
>
> Can WiktionaryZ tell me how many of those terms in that category have
> translations in say, Japanese?
>
> If not possible via the UI, presumably it would be possible through sql?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ~mm

Re: Term statistics on wiktionaryz

Michael Monaghan