Test Mobile Readers Survey

Casey Brown-6
Thank you all so much for your help translating the mobile readers
survey! We now need the translations to be tested.

Below are the translated surveys in each of the languages that have
been programmed into Lime Survey.
Arabic: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=ar
German: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=de
English: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=en
Spanish: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=es
French: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=fr
Japanese: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=ja
Portuguese: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=pt
Russian: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=ru
Turkish: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=tr
Simplified Chinese: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=zh-Hans
Traditional Chinese:
http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=zh-Hant-HK

On the homepage, a few of the languages did not provide a translation
for the Survey Title (Wikipedia Mobile Readers Survey 2011), so it
appears in English for a few of the languages. If you could send them
–specifically Arabic, Chinese (simplified and traditional), & Russian
– we would be happy to update accordingly.

If you have any specific issues, you can post them on the Meta talk
page or reply here.

Thanks!
Casey

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Amir E. Aharoni
2011/9/1 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
> Thank you all so much for your help translating the mobile readers
> survey! We now need the translations to be tested.
>
> Below are the translated surveys in each of the languages that have
> been programmed into Lime Survey.
> Arabic: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=ar

In Arabic, the directionality of individual messages is properly set
to RTL, but the overall directionality of the page seems to be LTR.

This means that the text is readable, but the design of the page is
weird, especially with questions that have checkboxes and radio
buttons.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Muhammad Yahia
Agree with Amir. Radio buttons appear LTR but the heading for them is RTL.

title in Arabic is:

استطلاع ويكيبيديا لقراء المحمول 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
2011/9/1 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
> Thank you all so much for your help translating the mobile readers
> survey! We now need the translations to be tested.
>
> Below are the translated surveys in each of the languages that have
> been programmed into Lime Survey.
> Arabic: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=ar

In Arabic, the directionality of individual messages is properly set
to RTL, but the overall directionality of the page seems to be LTR.

This means that the text is readable, but the design of the page is
weird, especially with questions that have checkboxes and radio
buttons.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Haytham Aly
Hi Casey,
The title in Arabic would be as follows:
استبيان قراء ويكيبيديا على الأجهزة المحمولة لعام ٢٠١١
It would be better to hear from other Arabic translators about that.

Cheers,
Haytham abulela

On 01/09/2011, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/9/1 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
>> Thank you all so much for your help translating the mobile readers
>> survey! We now need the translations to be tested.
>>
>> Below are the translated surveys in each of the languages that have
>> been programmed into Lime Survey.
>> Arabic: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=ar
>
> In Arabic, the directionality of individual messages is properly set
> to RTL, but the overall directionality of the page seems to be LTR.
>
> This means that the text is readable, but the design of the page is
> weird, especially with questions that have checkboxes and radio
> buttons.

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Sent from my mobile device

Haytham Hammam
Abu Dhabi,
U.A.E
Profile on LinkedIn <http://ae.linkedin.com/in/haythamhammam>
Profile on ProZ.com <http://www.proz.com/translator/895138>

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Muhammad Yahia
Haytham's translation is better than mine :)

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Haytham Hammam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Casey,
The title in Arabic would be as follows:
استبيان قراء ويكيبيديا على الأجهزة المحمولة لعام ٢٠١١
It would be better to hear from other Arabic translators about that.

Cheers,
Haytham abulela

On 01/09/2011, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2011/9/1 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>:
>> Thank you all so much for your help translating the mobile readers
>> survey! We now need the translations to be tested.
>>
>> Below are the translated surveys in each of the languages that have
>> been programmed into Lime Survey.
>> Arabic: http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php?sid=52291&lang=ar
>
> In Arabic, the directionality of individual messages is properly set
> to RTL, but the overall directionality of the page seems to be LTR.
>
> This means that the text is readable, but the design of the page is
> weird, especially with questions that have checkboxes and radio
> buttons.

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

Sent from my mobile device

Haytham Hammam
Abu Dhabi,
U.A.E
Profile on LinkedIn <http://ae.linkedin.com/in/haythamhammam>
Profile on ProZ.com <http://www.proz.com/translator/895138>

Best Regards,
Muhammad Yahia

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Анастасия Львова
Russian: some mistapes, B11. - m.wikipedia.org (_or_
xx.m.wikipedia.org) instead of m.wikipedia.org (_или
_xx.m.wikipedia.org), D5 - the title is repeated as the last variant,
D7 - the first sentence it the title is lost, D8 - the same text at
the extreme variants, E1 - the title is repeated as the first variant,
G3 - it seems like I should to fill out every string >_<

--
regards,
Lvova

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Osvaldo J. Schiavoni (RIMAR)
La encuesta funciona mal, me dice que debo contestar todas las preguntas obligatorias y no me deja seguir. Contesté todas las marcadas con asterisco rojo, que por otra parte no son todas las opciones posibles. Anteriormente contesté que no uso el teléfono para navegar, y luego me insiste en que elija para qué tipo de navegación lo uso.

Me clavé en la página (deberían estar numeradas para mejor referencia) que comienza con "A continuación se describen actividades que la gente comúnmente realiza en sus teléfonos móviles. Por favor marque aquellas que usted realiza durante una semana típica (o ninguna actividad si así fuese)."

En FINANZAS & COMPRAS (asterisco rojo) marqué  "" para ver si podía seguir, pero NO USO MI TELÉFONO PARA NAVEGAR, porque me lo cobran aparte, y bastante caro.

La dirección web es http://survey.wikimedia.org/index.php

Un abrazo,
Osvaldo J. Schiavoni
http://rimar2000.com.ar
http://www.instructables.com/member/rimar2000

2011/8/31 Casey Brown <[hidden email]>
[...]

Translation - Tradução - Traducción
The Portuguese version is European Portuguese and was slow.

Repeating some parts... mistakes...

Ana Lucia Amaral
Translations & Interpretations Services
Sent from my HTC EVO

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Andrew Leung-5
Survey title for Traditional Chinese: �S基百科行�友b置用���卷�{查2011. For Simplified Chinese: 维基百科移动设备用户问卷调查2011.

Andrew

"Fill the world with children who care and things start looking up."

> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 19:13:33 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Translators-l] Test Mobile Readers Survey
>
> The Portuguese version is European Portuguese and was slow.
>
> Repeating some parts... mistakes...
>
> Ana Lucia Amaral
> Translations & Interpretations Services
> Sent from my HTC EVO

Benjamin Chen-2

2011/9/1 Andrew Leung <[hidden email]>
Survey title for Traditional Chinese: 維基百科行動裝置用戶問卷調查2011. For Simplified Chinese: 维基百科移动设备用户问卷调查2011.

2011年維基百科行動裝置用戶問卷調查 for zh-hant and 2011年维基百科移动设备用户问卷调查 would be bettern.

Best,
[[User:Bencmq]] / Benjamin Chen

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Анастасия Львова <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Russian: some mistapes, B11. - m.wikipedia.org (_or_
> xx.m.wikipedia.org) instead of m.wikipedia.org (_или
> _xx.m.wikipedia.org), D5 - the title is repeated as the last variant,
> D7 - the first sentence it the title is lost, D8 - the same text at
> the extreme variants, E1 - the title is repeated as the first variant,
> G3 - it seems like I should to fill out every string >_<

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research_talk:Wikipedia_Mobile_Readers_Survey_2011/Translation/ru
- here is a full list of mistakes in Russian version.
Casey, let's gtalk about it at evening :-]

--
regards,
Lvova

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Huib Laurens
This is offtopic I guess here. But I would like to report the following:

When Ï try to open this survey on my BlackBerry it will close itself because the page is to big to load.

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

TurkishEnglish.com
There are problems in the Turkish site (especially formatting problems). The
pages are loading rather slow. Tonight I will make another try.
Best Regards,

Gokhan Abay

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Mani Pande
Thank you everyone for your feedback on the mobile survey. We really
appreciate all our efforts: both translation and testing. We have
deactivated the survey to debug the performance issue that some of you
pointed.
Mani

On 9/1/11 8:56 AM, TurkishEnglish.com wrote:

> There are problems in the Turkish site (especially formatting problems). The
> pages are loading rather slow. Tonight I will make another try.
> Best Regards,
>
> Gokhan Abay

Mani Pande, PhD
Head of Global Development Research
Wikimedia Foundation
415-882-7981 ext 6721
Twitter: manipande
Skype: manipande

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

Ayush Khanna
Hi everyone,

Please note that the Survey is presently NOT available for any language. We are in the process of fixing some performance issues, which some of you have experienced yourself.

We will notify you as soon as we are back online. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you once again for your support.

Ayush Khanna
Global Development Intern
Wikimedia Foundation

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 8:56 AM, TurkishEnglish.com <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are problems in the Turkish site (especially formatting problems). The
pages are loading rather slow. Tonight I will make another try.
Best Regards,

Gokhan Abay

Re: Test Mobile Readers Survey

TurkishEnglish.com
Casey,

There were some problems with the test.
1) The document we worked with is different from the EN internet version in
places. For example, the phrase "Please choose all that apply" was on the EN
survey but not on the TR survey, or vice versa. Is that significant?
2) In some places the EN survey was underlined or bold but not in Turkish

Furthermore, how will the test be done? Do you want us to just check the
Turkish? Or should we compare with the English?

I'm attaching some issues we noticed. Based on your response, we may need to
do more testing.

Kind regards,
Gökhan & Bill
www.turkishenglish.com

[...]

viki_notes.docx (24K) Download Attachment