Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Brion Vibber

Re: [Wikitech-l] Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Markus Krötzsch
On Tuesday 04 April 2006 13:40, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Before I release a formal 1.6.0, I'd like if a few people would quickly
> test installation of the current snapshot.
>
> Generally 1.6 is working quite nice on our own servers, but the
> installation and updater code might not be as well exercised. I've done a
> few basic smoke tests on my own, but a few more under different conditions
> might be wise before we make a fuss about The Big Release.
>
> Download:
> http://svn.wikimedia.org/snapshots/mediawiki-snapshot-20060404.tar.gz
> MD5 checksum: 352de479b8eada133de1247badd3677a
>
> Release notes (not finalized):
> http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/phase3/RELEASE-NOTES
I tried to upgrade an existing 1.5.5 and got:

Adding ss_images field to table site_stats...Query "UPDATE site_stats SET
ss_images=@images
" failed with error code "Table 'mywikiname.site_stats' doesn't exist
(localhost)".

On a second run of the config script, the error did not reoccur. Everything
seems to work fine now.

Cheers,

Markus

> As a reminder, we're planning to start on a quarterly snapshot release
> schedule; about every three months we'll take what's currently running,
> branch it off and release it. Security updates will continue to be made on
> those release branches for some time, but feature development and
> non-essential bugfixes generally will go on the mainline and be available
> in the next quarterly release.
>
> So 1.7 is tentatively scheduled for July; 1.8 for October, 1.9 (?) for
> January, etc.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com / brion @ wikimedia.org)
Markus Krötzsch
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe, D-76128 Karlsruhe
[hidden email]        phone +49 (0)721 608 7362
www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/     fax +49 (0)721 693  717

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Hans Voss
Brion,

You're in luck (or I am, depending). I had just completed a complete
offline file copy of the entire wiki and supporting structure when
your email showed up.

Now, I feel ready for some virtual excitement. I'll go try it upgrade
from 1.5.2 to this release.

----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
Hans Voss

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Hans Voss
Hmm,

Unfortunately, although the update seems to finish completely and
without errors.
I can't get any pages to show up. I don't know what's happening (yet).
But the processes (apache, mysql, browser) aren't showing any CPU
usage, no disk activity, no memory delta's.

But after waiting for a couple of minutes trying the bookmark again
got me my wiki pronto.
It seems that some of my layout is messed up. when I build my own
tables in HTML because I couldn't get wiki tables to do what I wanted
(multiple, nested tables etc.)

Now this _could_ be because I (had) made some modifications to the
Parser.php code in order to allow more HTML in the code. But otherwise
it seems to go quite nicely

So now the real adventure begins. Did I document all my code changes
well enough to be able to reimlement them on 1.6. Or is perhaps some
of that functionality already build in?
I can have a busy next couple of weeks :-)

Thanks Brion, it seems to work alright.

--
----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
Hans Voss

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Hans Voss
Oh, silly me. I just realized that in those first few minutes the wiki
was probably filling all those wonderful new tables... :-(   sorry.

On 4/4/06, Hans Voss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmm,
>
> Unfortunately, although the update seems to finish completely and
> without errors.
> I can't get any pages to show up. I don't know what's happening (yet).
> But the processes (apache, mysql, browser) aren't showing any CPU
> usage, no disk activity, no memory delta's.
>
> But after waiting for a couple of minutes trying the bookmark again
> got me my wiki pronto.
> It seems that some of my layout is messed up. when I build my own
> tables in HTML because I couldn't get wiki tables to do what I wanted
> (multiple, nested tables etc.)
>
> Now this _could_ be because I (had) made some modifications to the
> Parser.php code in order to allow more HTML in the code. But otherwise
> it seems to go quite nicely
>
> So now the real adventure begins. Did I document all my code changes
> well enough to be able to reimlement them on 1.6. Or is perhaps some
> of that functionality already build in?
> I can have a busy next couple of weeks :-)
>
> Thanks Brion, it seems to work alright.
>
> On 4/4/06, Hans Voss <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Brion,
> >
> > You're in luck (or I am, depending). I had just completed a complete
> > offline file copy of the entire wiki and supporting structure when
> > your email showed up.
> >
> > Now, I feel ready for some virtual excitement. I'll go try it upgrade
> > from 1.5.2 to this release.
> >
> > On 4/4/06, Brion Vibber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > ----
> > Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
> > Hans Voss
> > ---------------------------------------
> > skype: hans.voss
> > google talk enabled
> > I am looking for people to invite to Gmail. I have 100 invitations left.
> >

> --
> ----
> Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
> Hans Voss
> ---------------------------------------
> skype: hans.voss
> google talk enabled
> I am looking for people to invite to Gmail. I have 100 invitations left.

--
----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
Hans Voss

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Trevor Richardson
Received error on attempting login after install from snapshot.

Fatal error: Can't use method return value in write context in C:\Program
Files\xampp\htdocs\includes\SpecialUserlogin.php on line 208

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Rob Church
On 04/04/06, Trevor Richardson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Received error on attempting login after install from snapshot.
>
> Fatal error: Can't use method return value in write context in C:\Program
> Files\xampp\htdocs\includes\SpecialUserlogin.php on line 208

Spotted this, a small oversight I made earlier. Corrected in SVN HEAD.

Rob Church

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Thomas Klein-2
The file "patch-ss_images.sql" is wrong.

The wrong file:
ALTER TABLE /*$wgDBprefix*/site_stats ADD ss_images int(10) default '0';
SELECT @images := COUNT(*) FROM /*$wgDBprefix*/image;
UPDATE site_stats SET ss_images=@images;

The is correct:
ALTER TABLE /*$wgDBprefix*/site_stats ADD ss_images int(10) default '0';
SELECT @images := COUNT(*) FROM /*$wgDBprefix*/image;
UPDATE /*$wgDBprefix*/site_stats SET ss_images=@images;

Thomas Klein

On 04/04/06, Thomas Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The file "patch-ss_images.sql" is wrong.
>
> The wrong file:
> ALTER TABLE /*$wgDBprefix*/site_stats ADD ss_images int(10) default '0';
> SELECT @images := COUNT(*) FROM /*$wgDBprefix*/image;
> UPDATE site_stats SET ss_images=@images;
>
> The is correct:
> ALTER TABLE /*$wgDBprefix*/site_stats ADD ss_images int(10) default '0';
> SELECT @images := COUNT(*) FROM /*$wgDBprefix*/image;
> UPDATE /*$wgDBprefix*/site_stats SET ss_images=@images;

Fixed in SVN HEAD.

Rob Church

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Thomas Klein-2
My next problem is by running update.php is:

Going to run database updates for wikidb
Depending on the size of your database this may take a while!
Abort with control-c in the next five seconds...0
...hitcounter table already exists.
...querycache table already exists.
...objectcache table already exists.
...categorylinks table already exists.
...logging table already exists.
...validate table already exists.
...user_newtalk table already exists.
Creating transcache table...ok
...trackbacks table already exists.
Creating externallinks table...ok
Creating job table...ok
...have ipb_id field in ipblocks table.
...have ipb_expiry field in ipblocks table.
...have rc_type field in recentchanges table.
...have rc_ip field in recentchanges table.
...have rc_id field in recentchanges table.
...have rc_patrolled field in recentchanges table.
...have user_real_name field in user table.
...have user_token field in user table.
...have user_email_token field in user table.
Adding user_registration field to table user...ok
...have log_params field in logging table.
...have ar_rev_id field in archive table.
...have ar_text_id field in archive table.
...have page_len field in page table.
...have rev_deleted field in revision table.
...have img_width field in image table.
...have img_metadata field in image table.
...have img_media_type field in image table.
...have val_ip field in validate table.
...have ss_total_pages field in site_stats table.
...have iw_trans field in interwiki table.
Adding ipb_range_start field to table ipblocks...ok
Adding ss_images field to table site_stats...ok
...already have interwiki table
...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
Already have pagelinks; skipping old links table updates.
...image primary key already set.
The watchlist table is already set up for email notification.
Adding missing watchlist talk page rows... ok
...user table does not contain old email authentication field.
Logging table has correct title encoding.
...page table already exists.
revision timestamp indexes already up to 2005-03-13
...rev_text_id already in place.
...page_namespace is already a full int (int(11)).
...ar_namespace is already a full int (int(11)).
...rc_namespace is already a full int (int(11)).
...wl_namespace is already a full int (int(11)).
...qc_namespace is already a full int (int(11)).
...log_namespace is already a full int (int(11)).
...already have pagelinks table.
Creating templatelinks table...
Populating...
Done. Please run maintenance/refreshLinks.php for a more thorough
templatelinks
update.
No img_type field in image table; Good.
Already have unique user_name index.
...user_groups table already exists.
...user_groups is in current format.
Making wl_notificationtimestamp nullable...
Warning: fopen(maintenance/archives/patch-watchlist-null.sql): failed to
open st
ream: No such file or directory in D:\Xampp\htdocs\dewiki\includes\Data
base.php on line 1671
Could not open "".

Thomas Klein

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Hans Voss
are you running update from with 'maintenance'?
(I fell for that one)
must be run from wiki root

----
Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards
Hans Voss

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Thomas Klein-2
>are you running update from with 'maintenance'?
>(I fell for that one)
>must be run from wiki root

Thank you, it's now working.

Thomas Klein

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Raimund Sudermann, CCDS GmbH
I have updated mediawiki 1.5.8 and it worked so far without big
problems.
However one thing is strange: the 2 Images which i had placed on the
main page for testing with 1.5.8 could not be found with 1.6.
I get the following error:
###
Error creating thumbnail: /usr/local/bin/convert: Unable to open file
(path_to_image1_here) [Invalid argument]. Error creating thumbnail:
/usr/local/bin/convert: Unable to open file (path_to_image2_here)
[Invalid argument].
###
The strange thing about this is: if i choose "edit" and "preview" the
pictures appear on the page. if i choose "save" i get the error.

I use the following image tags:
[[Image:imagename.jpg|200px|imagenamewith comment]]

(I am using mysql 4.0.26-max, mac os x 10.3.9, PHP 4.4.1)

raimund

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Jeff Lane
I'm not clear on this -- If we want to test the update, should we still
use the snapshot linked by Brion, or should we used the fixed SVN head
revision? And if so, how do we get that revision as a tarball?

-Jeff

Jeff Lane wrote:
> I'm not clear on this -- If we want to test the update, should we still
> use the snapshot linked by Brion, or should we used the fixed SVN head
> revision? And if so, how do we get that revision as a tarball?

I've updated the snapshot:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/snapshots/mediawiki-snapshot-20060404.tar.gz

If you have a Subversion client installed, you can also pull the source directly
from the repository. Unlike the old CVS system, anonymous access is fully up to
date.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download_from_SVN

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Jeff Lane
Great, thanks.

> I'm not clear on this -- If we want to test the update, should we
still
> use the snapshot linked by Brion, or should we used the fixed SVN head
> revision? And if so, how do we get that revision as a tarball?

I've updated the snapshot:
http://svn.wikimedia.org/snapshots/mediawiki-snapshot-20060404.tar.gz

If you have a Subversion client installed, you can also pull the source
directly
from the repository. Unlike the old CVS system, anonymous access is
fully up to
date.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Download_from_SVN

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Juanma Barranquero
With Mediawiki 1.5.X, I was using pretty URLs with the "alias" method
(no mod_rewrite needed). Now, with the 1.6 snapshot, I cannot make it
work right. (This is with the wiki language set to Spanish, BTW, but I
don't think that should make a difference).

I'm able to use /wiki, for example, I can access

  http://localhost/wiki/Portada

or

  http://localhost/wiki/Actualidad

just fine. However, I'm seeing two different problems. On one hand,
the links from the navigation sidebar (when I move the cursor over the
link, for example) are now

  http://localhost/wiki/index.php/Portada

instead of

  http://localhost/wiki/Portada

The second problems is that, when accessing the special pages, I'm
seeing this Apache error:

  [Wed Apr 05 11:47:15 2006] [error] [client aa.bb.cc.dd] (20024)The
given path misformatted or contained invalid characters: Cannot map
GET /wiki/Especial:Specialpages HTTP/1.1 to file, referer:
http://localhost/wiki/Portada

FWIW, I've read the "Make non-ugly URLs" page at
   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Eliminating_index.php_from_the_url

and I've tried the first method (the one using alias, not
mod_rewrite), but it doesn't work.

Any clue?

Thanks,

                    /L/e/k/t/u

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> just fine. However, I'm seeing two different problems. On one hand,
> the links from the navigation sidebar (when I move the cursor over the
> link, for example) are now
>
>   http://localhost/wiki/index.php/Portada

Cache?

> The second problems is that, when accessing the special pages, I'm
> seeing this Apache error:
>
>   [Wed Apr 05 11:47:15 2006] [error] [client aa.bb.cc.dd] (20024)The
> given path misformatted or contained invalid characters: Cannot map
> GET /wiki/Especial:Specialpages HTTP/1.1 to file, referer:
> http://localhost/wiki/Portada

a) Does it work despite this?
b) Was it different with 1.5? Can you confirm it now?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Juanma Barranquero

> Cache?

I've used quite a few ?action=purge, and I have

  $wgCachePages = false;

on my LocalSettings.php

> a) Does it work despite this?

Yes.

> b) Was it different with 1.5? Can you confirm it now?

Hmm. Curious. I've just done a fresh 1.5.8 installation, and the
Apache error was there.

However, I have another wiki which uses the same setup (I mean, the
same alias directives, directory names and paths, etc.) which does not
show either problem (the sidebar links are correct, too).

Diferences between both setups:

 - Correct: Apache 2.0.54, PHP 5.0.5, MySQL 4.1.18, language: EN
 - Trouble: Apache 2.2.0,  PHP 5.1.2, MySQL 5.0.19, language: ES

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

Re: Test snapshot for MediaWiki 1.6.0

Christof Damian
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006, Hans Voss wrote:
> are you running update from with 'maintenance'?
> (I fell for that one)
> must be run from wiki root

hmmm....I have the same problem and it doesn't seem to matter whether
I am in the root or maintenance directory.

Well, I'll try again tomorrow, I reverted for now.

Christof

--
Christof Damian