Thank you!!!

Claire
This is a shout out to all the planners and volunteers and speakers, etc who worked so hard to bring us Wikimania 2012 -- Thank you!!  It was great!

Re: Thank you!!!

Thomas Schmidt
> This is a shout out to all the planners and volunteers and speakers, etc who
> worked so hard to bring us Wikimania 2012 -- Thank you!!  It was great!

+1

Re: Thank you!!!

Birgitte_sb
Yes! I am sitting in the airport dreaming of getting some sleep soon. I had wonderful experience and am leaving very inspired. Thank you all!

BirgitteSB

On Jul 15, 2012, at 9:55 PM, Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

This is a shout out to all the planners and volunteers and speakers, etc who worked so hard to bring us Wikimania 2012 -- Thank you!!  It was great!

Re: Thank you!!!

Deryck Chan

Woohoo!

On Jul 15, 2012 9:55 PM, "Claire" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a shout out to all the planners and volunteers and speakers, etc who worked so hard to bring us Wikimania 2012 -- Thank you!!  It was great!

Re: Thank you!!!

Phoebe Ayers-2

+1! This was a superb conference, and I had a wonderful time seeing friends old and new. Many thanks to all who worked so hard to make it happen.

wishing you much-needed rest,
Phoebe

On Jul 15, 2012 6:55 PM, "Claire" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a shout out to all the planners and volunteers and speakers, etc who worked so hard to bring us Wikimania 2012 -- Thank you!!  It was great!

Re: Thank you!!!

Orsolya Gyenes
THANK YOU ALL!

This was probably the biggest project that I ever done in my life and it almost feels strange to be finished with everything.

I learnt so much from this and I would like to thank everyone who attended and everyone who helped to make this happen! You are all great!

See you next year!

~Orsolya
Deputy Program Chair

2012/7/16 phoebe ayers <[hidden email]>

+1! This was a superb conference, and I had a wonderful time seeing friends old and new. Many thanks to all who worked so hard to make it happen.

wishing you much-needed rest,
Phoebe

On Jul 15, 2012 6:55 PM, "Claire" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a shout out to all the planners and volunteers and speakers, etc who worked so hard to bring us Wikimania 2012 -- Thank you!!  It was great!

Re: Thank you!!!

Itzik Edri
Thanks friends. As one who arranged Wikimania before, I know how hard was your lasts months and I think everyone will agree that you arranged amazing conference!

Thanks for the great work and the warm hosting in D.C!

Itzik
Wikimedia Israel

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a shout out to all the planners and volunteers and speakers, etc who worked so hard to bring us Wikimania 2012 -- Thank you!!  It was great!

Re: Thank you!!!

Risker
Indeed, thanks for all your work. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to meet so many Wikimedians from around the world, and find out about so many other projects.

Risker/Anne

On 15 July 2012 21:55, Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a shout out to all the planners and volunteers and speakers, etc who worked so hard to bring us Wikimania 2012 -- Thank you!!  It was great!

Re: Thank you!!!

Alhen
Thanks to all the folks that helped organizing a absolutely incredible Wikimania. The only bad thing is that it finished!!

Thank you all guys for having put your heart to this project. Everything was flawless I believe :)

Alhen

@alhen_
alhen at wikipedia, wikihow, wikispaces, and most places.
Promotor de Wikimedia Bolivia
00-591-79592235

2012/7/16 Risker <[hidden email]>
Indeed, thanks for all your work. I'm really glad I had the opportunity to meet so many Wikimedians from around the world, and find out about so many other projects.

Risker/Anne

On 15 July 2012 21:55, Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is a shout out to all the planners and volunteers and speakers, etc who worked so hard to bring us Wikimania 2012 -- Thank you!!  It was great!

Re: Thank you!!!

ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ)-2
Thank you all from my little self too!
Wikimania 2012 has completely restructured and reaffirmed my outlook  (as an individual)  on the life, society and meaning of existence.

-Viswam
Wikiuser:Viswaprabha

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM, Alhen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Florence Devouard-2
Hi guys

What's the favorite wiki page where we can collect our feedback on this year Wikimania ?

Thanks

Flo

On 7/18/12 6:36 PM, ViswaPrabha (വിശ്വപ്രഭ) wrote:
[...]

Manuel Schneider-3

Am 19.07.2012 08:34, schrieb Florence Devouard:
> Hi guys

Salut Madame,

> What's the favorite wiki page where we can collect our feedback on this
> year Wikimania ?

vous voulez prendre ça:
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Feedback

Cordialement,

Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

www.wikimedia.ch

Re: Thank you!!!

Florence Devouard-2
On 7/19/12 10:00 AM, Manuel Schneider wrote:

> Am 19.07.2012 08:34, schrieb Florence Devouard:
>> Hi guys
> Salut Madame,
>
>> What's the favorite wiki page where we can collect our feedback on this
>> year Wikimania ?
> vous voulez prendre ça:
> https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Feedback
>
> Cordialement,
>

> Manuel

Merci

C'est beau quand tu me vouvoies....

Flo

Feedback

Florence Devouard-2
https://wikimania2012.wikimedia.org/wiki/Feedback

I dropped my comments over there.

There are three things on which I would like to specifically insist upon

The first is that I see a trend in seeing Wikimania as a "conference"
rather than a sort of "giant meetup". I regret it.
I was particularly sensible this year to the fact we had "factions". I
could see the French speaking guys hanging together here. And the German
chapter people hanging there. And in another corner the editing
community of the English Wikipedia. And over there, the Glam people. And
though there were naturally bridges between those groups, there was not
much mixing and bonding.
Seeing Wikimania as a conference is not really helping closing the gap.
We get 4 or 5 sessions in parallel. Glam group goes there in the session
related to Glam. Editing community goes there listening to the session
related to arbitration. Chapter group here goes to listen to legal
risks. And so on. The more sessions we have in parallel, the more chance
that each group stick to its habits.
Adding side events does not necessarily help. When wandering in the
street, we could meet with a group of iberocoop people sticking together
or a group of WMF staff members heading to that restaurant. Even the
wikichix meeting could have been done differently. Such as giving the
time to each women of ONE table to present to each other rather than all
of us to each other. And making sure that women do not sit by their
friends but with new women.
The side meeting probably helping the most are actually visits (such as
the visit to the Capitol) since these are smaller groups of various
origins.
But there is this tendency to group with people you already know because
it is always tough to get to new people you know little about.
In the past, I remember events that helped create more bonding. For
example, sleeping in one area rather than dozen. For example, breaking a
wikiball together. For example, hosting lightning talks in the main
lobby all along the conference.
I think we need to think of Wikimania more as a networking event than it
is right now. And give more chance to isolated people to connect and
more chance to groups to break and bridge with other groups.
I hope there can be discussions on how to achieve that (looking at how
networking groups do is a good direction) and that next year team will
have that at heart.

The second is that I was actually surprised to see the organizing team
put itself so much "in the background".
I did not feel very satisfied that the team was essentially listed on a
slide at the beginning and end of the conference and that we see a group
of people on stage during 1 mn at the closing. If only because I will
hardly remember any of the team member besides James, Aude and Danny.
James as the leader. Aude and Danny because I already know them. But
others ? Unfortunately not. Their names were plastered on an slide
(since I didnot know them, it did not help me to recognise their face
afterwards). In a regular conference, this is normal. We just thank the
organizers and give them a one minute fame.
But at Wikimania, the team should be special. It should be leader and at
the heart of the event. We should know who they are and at the end of
the conference, I feel we should feel like hugging them like mad for
what they did (or hate them :)). There are various ways to do that. Such
as at least presenting each of them at the beginning so that we have a
face in front of the name. Putting a big wall in the lobby with the face
and name, their role, and their favorite food (or whatever). Setting up
a 10 mn presentation at the beginning of the day. Having a contest with
them on stage. A banner to sign. A tower in lego to destroy. Anything.

The third is.... WMF board. The Q&A is a tradition; but I feel
traditions ought to change sometimes. It probably made more sense to
have a board Q&A when we had no staff at all. Now, the staff is
providing one keynote (Sue) plus many talks (not far from half of
Wikimania talks I think) and providing plenty of input during three
days. So the board Q&A is getting boring and not very useful anyway.
Plus, as I told Jay, the concept of having a WMF staff select and ask
the questions is setting up a barrier, thus increasing the distance
between board and wikimedians. To be fair, I find it odd that most
wikimedians have next to no idea of what the individual board members
think on a specific topic. And most answers to board does not succeed to
fix that. It should be clarified if the goal of this "event" is to help
members understand better what individual members think OR if it is to
understand better board strategy OR if it is to better understand
certain issues. But if these issues are operational in nature, the
questions should go to staff, not board.
I think it is time to have another format. I wonder if it might not make
sense to rather select one hot topic per year and have board give their
opinion on that very topic in details and with individual position
rather than having them give short, bland answers to 10 random questions.

Florence

Re: Thank you!!!

Cristian Consonni
2012/7/18 Alhen <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks to all the folks that helped organizing a absolutely incredible
> Wikimania. The only bad thing is that it finished!!
>
> Thank you all guys for having put your heart to this project. Everything was
> flawless I believe :)

Thank you all for your effort and the great result.

Re: Feedback

Joseph Fox
To be honest, I think I spent the majority of the time just sitting with a laptop in the big rooms and I felt that the conference's structure was well done (i.e. it allowed for this laziness rather than tutting at me for it).

I think what you're really looking for is one giant unconference - and, given that Sunday was clearly the least productive day of the whole weekend, I don't think Wikimania 2013 would really benefit from a complete overhaul of the "seminar" structure.

We need to somehow find a way to make Wikimania the best of both worlds - being able to meet and sit with others while also learning something from the experience.

I'm sure that the Hong Kong people will be able to improve on what was already a very good and informative conference next year, anyway. :)

Joe

On 19 Jul 2012, at 23:06, Katherine Casey wrote:

[...]

Lodewijk
Something I would personally appreciate as an improvement, is a block of 2 hour around lunch with NO INTERNET! That ought to improve the mingling :)

Also speeddating seems to be an effective method (there are many ways to accomplish that).

Lodewijk

2012/7/19 Katherine Casey <[hidden email]>
[...]

Tom Morris-5
On Thursday, 19 July 2012 at 16:18, Joseph Fox wrote:
> To be honest, I think I spent the majority of the time just sitting with a laptop in the big rooms and I felt that the conference's structure was well done (i.e. it allowed for this laziness rather than tutting at me for it).
>
> I think what you're really looking for is one giant unconference - and, given that Sunday was clearly the least productive day of the whole weekend, I don't think Wikimania 2013 would really benefit from a complete overhaul of the "seminar" structure.
>
> We need to somehow find a way to make Wikimania the best of both worlds - being able to meet and sit with others while also learning something from the experience.

I think Wikimania could do with having a small group tutorial track. There's lots we can teach each other in a small group structure. Article writing, writing for Wikinews, handling difficult OTRS responses (obviously, that's only for OTRSers), bot hacking, dispute resolution techniques, handling image copyrights, restoring images, reviewing Good Articles, whatever. There's lots of things we can teach each other, and having a slightly more formalised way of doing so in small groups seems like a really useful thing we could do at Wikimania.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>

Re: Feedback

Nicholas Michael Bashour

2012/7/19 Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
Something I would personally appreciate as an improvement, is a block of 2 hour around lunch with NO INTERNET! That ought to improve the mingling :)
That's what we would call an "Analogue Hour," which I would be in favor of having. I think encouraging people to put down cell phones, computers, iPads, and other electronic devices for a defined period of time during the day would encourage more personal interactions. Not everyone will participate, but if a lot of people do it, it will be considered a success.

Sincerely,

Nicholas Michael Bashour
President
Wikimedia District of Columbia