Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Delphine Ménard
I'll add my thanks to the chorus. It was an amazing Wikimania.

Having participated in the organisation of quite a few Wikimanias, and
since Itzik asked somewhere for "critics" so that they can do better
next time, here are a few things that come to mind. I'd urge everyone
to answer this thread to keep things in one place so that the team
from next year can benefit from those.

* Badges: badges should be recognizable at a glance. Especially for
press. But also for organizers, speakers etc.. By the time I arrived,
everyone had a different lanyard, some had written badges, other
printed... complicated. Make more badges than you will ever need (a
safe assumption is to print about at least twice the number of badges
you think you'll need). Choose colors that people can recognize at a
glance. Especially for the press (I'll never stress that enough).

* Food: the food was so excellent it's not even funny (wow the
hummus). But I've seen _lots_ of people looking for the vegetarian
food without ever knowing which it was. So: Label food. Name of the
food, principal ingredients (some are allergic to say... bell pepper,
can't have milk etc.), vegetarian, kosher, whatever is of importance,
make it clear.

* Moderation in the sessions: Have a _seasoned_ moderator in each
room. Someone whose only job it is to cut short presentations that are
too long, who can moderate discussions/questions if there is a need.
Someone nasty ;).

That's about it for the main things I've seen, the rest was just great. :)

Cheers,

Delphine

--
@notafish

NB. This gmail address is used for mailing lists. Personal emails will get lost.
Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive - http://blog.notanendive.org
Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Roan Kattouw-2
2011/8/9 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:
> * Badges: badges should be recognizable at a glance. Especially for
> press. But also for organizers, speakers etc.. By the time I arrived,
> everyone had a different lanyard, some had written badges, other
> printed... complicated. Make more badges than you will ever need (a
> safe assumption is to print about at least twice the number of badges
> you think you'll need). Choose colors that people can recognize at a
> glance. Especially for the press (I'll never stress that enough).
>
+1. Also:
* make the badges double-sided. I asked at least 5 people to flip
their badges so I could read them, and about half the people I know
had come up with some way to clip the badge to their lanyard or
clothes to prevent it from flipping over to the blank back side
* for some reason, the role/occupation/whatever field (e.g.
'developer', 'designer', 'WMF employee', ...) was not printed on any
of the WMF employees' badges, which led to people using magic markers
to write "WMF" on their badges. I think it's a good idea to make WMF
staff clearly visible (badge colors, per Delphine); in Buenos Aires,
WMF staff had "Staff" badges, but they were the same badges worn by
the conference staff (i.e. organization), so that wasn't necessarily
too useful either

Badge-related praise that I read on a private mailing list and totally
agree with: putting the small schedule booklet inside the badges was
genius and extremely useful. It's one of those little things that I
never missed before I realized how great it was, and that I will now
be expecting at every conference I ever attend :)

Another, relatively minor, point of criticism: the shuttle schedules
as communicated were incomplete. The most important bits (morning
shuttle times, i.e. what time do I have to wake up to catch the
shuttle) were there, but the schedules for shuttles leaving in the
afternoon and evening (shuttles back to the hotels/dorms from the
venue, and shuttles to/from the parties) were missing from the booklet
and the web site more often than not. Personally, I think that
ideally, shuttles shouldn't be necessary (if you need them, that means
the host city is more spread out than I like it to be (Gdansk was
perfect in terms of everything being close together); a party at a
good location that's a bit far away is a good exception, but
hotels/dorms shouldn't be >1km away), but if you're hosting a future
Wikimania and do need them, please make sure to document their
schedules very well.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Lodewijk
I'm not sure if this is covered by Delphine's suggestion, but the ability to recognize staffers is helpful - I knew quite some of them so had little trouble, but I saw others looking harder for them. Giving staffers a special symbol/color on their badge or giving them a different color T-shirt might be helpful. I never realized how many there were until they finally were all on stage. 

Lodewijk

2011/8/9 Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]>
2011/8/9 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:
> * Badges: badges should be recognizable at a glance. Especially for
> press. But also for organizers, speakers etc.. By the time I arrived,
> everyone had a different lanyard, some had written badges, other
> printed... complicated. Make more badges than you will ever need (a
> safe assumption is to print about at least twice the number of badges
> you think you'll need). Choose colors that people can recognize at a
> glance. Especially for the press (I'll never stress that enough).
>
+1. Also:
* make the badges double-sided. I asked at least 5 people to flip
their badges so I could read them, and about half the people I know
had come up with some way to clip the badge to their lanyard or
clothes to prevent it from flipping over to the blank back side
* for some reason, the role/occupation/whatever field (e.g.
'developer', 'designer', 'WMF employee', ...) was not printed on any
of the WMF employees' badges, which led to people using magic markers
to write "WMF" on their badges. I think it's a good idea to make WMF
staff clearly visible (badge colors, per Delphine); in Buenos Aires,
WMF staff had "Staff" badges, but they were the same badges worn by
the conference staff (i.e. organization), so that wasn't necessarily
too useful either

Badge-related praise that I read on a private mailing list and totally
agree with: putting the small schedule booklet inside the badges was
genius and extremely useful. It's one of those little things that I
never missed before I realized how great it was, and that I will now
be expecting at every conference I ever attend :)

Another, relatively minor, point of criticism: the shuttle schedules
as communicated were incomplete. The most important bits (morning
shuttle times, i.e. what time do I have to wake up to catch the
shuttle) were there, but the schedules for shuttles leaving in the
afternoon and evening (shuttles back to the hotels/dorms from the
venue, and shuttles to/from the parties) were missing from the booklet
and the web site more often than not. Personally, I think that
ideally, shuttles shouldn't be necessary (if you need them, that means
the host city is more spread out than I like it to be (Gdansk was
perfect in terms of everything being close together); a party at a
good location that's a bit far away is a good exception, but
hotels/dorms shouldn't be >1km away), but if you're hosting a future
Wikimania and do need them, please make sure to document their
schedules very well.

Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Amir E. Aharoni
In reply to this post by Delphine Ménard
2011/8/9 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>:
> * Food: the food was so excellent it's not even funny (wow the
> hummus).

Yesh!

> But I've seen _lots_ of people looking for the vegetarian
> food without ever knowing which it was. So: Label food. Name of the
> food, principal ingredients (some are allergic to say... bell pepper,
> can't have milk etc.), vegetarian, kosher, whatever is of importance,
> make it clear.

You are right. We made sure that there would be enough vegetarian and
vegan food in all meals, including hot main courses. On the way we
taught the catering staff what veganism is, so vegans can be happy
about this educational success :)

Nevertheless, a significant number of vegetarian people had hard time
finding their meals. I thought about labeling it, because discerning
the ingredients is not always easy, especially in a foreign country.
Unfortunately, it slipped my mind at the last minute.

Recommendation to all future Wikimania organizers: Just ask the
catering company for detailed labels on the food. Don't just ask, put
it in the contract. They know the info, they have the staff and it
should be their job.

--
Amir

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Delphine Ménard
In reply to this post by Roan Kattouw-2
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Badge-related praise that I read on a private mailing list and totally
> agree with: putting the small schedule booklet inside the badges was
> genius and extremely useful. It's one of those little things that I
> never missed before I realized how great it was, and that I will now
> be expecting at every conference I ever attend :)

+1 million.
But on the schedule on line (probably too much for the booklet), put
the name of the presenter. Sometimes people have heard about a great
presentation X would make, but have no clue what it's called and never
make it to the presentation.


Delphine

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Tobias
In reply to this post by Delphine Ménard
On 08/09/2011 03:26 PM, Delphine Ménard wrote:
> Having participated in the organisation of quite a few Wikimanias, and
> since Itzik asked somewhere for "critics" so that they can do better
> next time, here are a few things that come to mind. I'd urge everyone
> to answer this thread to keep things in one place so that the team
> from next year can benefit from those.
> […]

Just a quick general reminder:
If you send feedback to the mailing list, please also add it on
http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/Feedback

Also, if you notice something crucial is missing in the Wikimania
handbook, add it: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Handbook

Regards,
Tobias


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l

signature.asc (270 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Federico Leva (Nemo)
In reply to this post by Delphine Ménard
2011/8/9 Delphine Ménard
* Moderation in the sessions: Have a _seasoned_ moderator in each
room. Someone whose only job it is to cut short presentations that are
too long, who can moderate discussions/questions if there is a need.
Someone nasty ;).


I agree, I heard about a couple of problems because of the lack of such a moderator.
I'd add to his tasks (or the tasks of whoever else from the staff stays in the room all the time) to grab a copy of each presentation slides, to be uploaded to Commons or wikimaniawiki if the license is not suitable for some reason. Presenters quite often don't know how to upload to our wikis, or how to convert the files in the right format, or they just forget it.

On 9 August 2011 16:44, church.of.emacs.ml  wrote:
Just a quick general reminder:
If you send feedback to the mailing list, please also add it on
http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/Feedback

Also, if you notice something crucial is missing in the Wikimania
handbook, add it: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Handbook

+1  

Nemo

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

KIZU Naoko
Corner picking from Haifa (yet)

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Nemo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/8/9 Delphine Ménard
>>
>> * Moderation in the sessions: Have a _seasoned_ moderator in each
>> room. Someone whose only job it is to cut short presentations that are
>> too long, who can moderate discussions/questions if there is a need.
>> Someone nasty ;).
>>
>
> I agree, I heard about a couple of problems because of the lack of such a
> moderator.
> I'd add to his tasks (or the tasks of whoever else from the staff stays in
> the room all the time) to grab a copy of each presentation slides, to be
> uploaded to Commons or wikimaniawiki if the license is not suitable for some
> reason. Presenters quite often don't know how to upload to our wikis, or how
> to convert the files in the right format, or they just forget it.

+1
I'd love to add that moderators however are not necessarily chosen
from the organizing team. Many Wikimaniacs have offered this kind of
help and will: it's anyway just a time keeping, no difficult task at
all, specially if the moderators are not required to introduce
speakers' bios. For the future organizers: if you find no enough
moderators until the conference, just fetch some early comers before
the date and ask them. It has worked for years. You will be able just
to remind someone who you've known on that they'd sure love to
moderate so-and-so a track :D

BTW the small handbook within the badge was including nice. I hope it
becomes our new tradition. :) There were some typos though, if it had
been errata somewhere, either online or in venue, it had been nicer.

>
> On 9 August 2011 16:44, church.of.emacs.ml  wrote:
>>
>> Just a quick general reminder:
>> If you send feedback to the mailing list, please also add it on
>> http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/Feedback
>>
>> Also, if you notice something crucial is missing in the Wikimania
>> handbook, add it: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Handbook
>
> +1
> Nemo
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>
>



--
KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

James Hare
Here's a thought. I stayed at what the conference called the Senate dorms, yet I see nothing on campus that indicates that it was called that. Yes, the term "Senate Dorms" does appear at the bus stop, and there is a Senate House nearby, but the dorms themselves aren't labeled as such, nor is that name on any of the direction signs or maps as far as I could tell. This hasn't caused much real trouble but it did prove to be somewhat confusing.

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 9, 2011, at 9:07 PM, KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Corner picking from Haifa (yet)
>
> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Nemo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2011/8/9 Delphine Ménard
>>>
>>> * Moderation in the sessions: Have a _seasoned_ moderator in each
>>> room. Someone whose only job it is to cut short presentations that are
>>> too long, who can moderate discussions/questions if there is a need.
>>> Someone nasty ;).
>>>
>>
>> I agree, I heard about a couple of problems because of the lack of such a
>> moderator.
>> I'd add to his tasks (or the tasks of whoever else from the staff stays in
>> the room all the time) to grab a copy of each presentation slides, to be
>> uploaded to Commons or wikimaniawiki if the license is not suitable for some
>> reason. Presenters quite often don't know how to upload to our wikis, or how
>> to convert the files in the right format, or they just forget it.
>
> +1
> I'd love to add that moderators however are not necessarily chosen
> from the organizing team. Many Wikimaniacs have offered this kind of
> help and will: it's anyway just a time keeping, no difficult task at
> all, specially if the moderators are not required to introduce
> speakers' bios. For the future organizers: if you find no enough
> moderators until the conference, just fetch some early comers before
> the date and ask them. It has worked for years. You will be able just
> to remind someone who you've known on that they'd sure love to
> moderate so-and-so a track :D
>
> BTW the small handbook within the badge was including nice. I hope it
> becomes our new tradition. :) There were some typos though, if it had
> been errata somewhere, either online or in venue, it had been nicer.
>
>>
>> On 9 August 2011 16:44, church.of.emacs.ml  wrote:
>>>
>>> Just a quick general reminder:
>>> If you send feedback to the mailing list, please also add it on
>>> http://wikimania2011.wikimedia.org/wiki/Feedback
>>>
>>> Also, if you notice something crucial is missing in the Wikimania
>>> handbook, add it: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Handbook
>>
>> +1
>> Nemo
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimania-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
> member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Itzik Edri
In reply to this post by Roan Kattouw-2
Thanks all for your feedback! it really great to hear your notes...

Just one thing:
* for some reason, the role/occupation/whatever field (e.g.
'developer', 'designer', 'WMF employee', ...) was not printed on any
of the WMF employees' badges, which led to people using magic markers
to write "WMF" on their badges. I think it's a good idea to make WMF
staff clearly visible (badge colors, per Delphine); in Buenos Aires,
WMF staff had "Staff" badges, but they were the same badges worn by
the conference staff (i.e. organization), so that wasn't necessarily
too useful either


Everyone during the registration process had the option to select which lines and titles will be printed on his badge. We didn't want to print things that people not asked (as some people even select not to print their personal name). For our perspective, WMF staff are also part of the community, and it's for them (or the foundation) to decide which titles will be printed 

Itzik

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Daniel Kinzler
In reply to this post by Delphine Ménard
On 09.08.2011 15:26, Delphine Ménard wrote:
> * Food: the food was so excellent it's not even funny (wow the
> hummus). But I've seen _lots_ of people looking for the vegetarian
> food without ever knowing which it was. So: Label food. Name of the
> food, principal ingredients (some are allergic to say... bell pepper,
> can't have milk etc.), vegetarian, kosher, whatever is of importance,
> make it clear.

let me add my few ¢ about the catering: I agree that the food was excellent,
thanks for that! However, the folks who were passing out the food were clearly
not up to the task. They couldn't answer any questions about the food, and it
took them quite a while to pass it out. It would have worked better if people
had just served themselves, especially if the food was clearly labeled.

As to drinks: please have more water in the rooms. And everywhere, really. Water
seemed to be in short supply throughout the conference. And the coffee was
pretty bad... oh, well :)


Don't take me the wrong way - the catering was really good. But there's always
something that wasn't perfect, so that#s what I'm picking on :)


A big thanks and kudos to the Wikimania team!

-- daniel

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Roan Kattouw-2
In reply to this post by Itzik Edri
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Everyone during the registration process had the option to select which
> lines and titles will be printed on his badge. We didn't want to print
> things that people not asked (as some people even select not to print their
> personal name). For our perspective, WMF staff are also part of
> the community, and it's for them (or the foundation) to decide which titles
> will be printed
I know, and I do believe I filled out that field. I don't remember
what I put there myself, but I find it hard to believe that every
single WMF staff member left that field blank.

Roan

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Lodewijk
Personally, I found it a nice experience to not have all those titles thrown into my face every time I saw a badge. But then I know most of the people already, so maybe I'm not a fair person to consider there :) 

Lodewijk

2011/8/10 Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]>
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Everyone during the registration process had the option to select which
> lines and titles will be printed on his badge. We didn't want to print
> things that people not asked (as some people even select not to print their
> personal name). For our perspective, WMF staff are also part of
> the community, and it's for them (or the foundation) to decide which titles
> will be printed
I know, and I do believe I filled out that field. I don't remember
what I put there myself, but I find it hard to believe that every
single WMF staff member left that field blank.

Roan

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l


_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

WereSpielChequers-2
As someone who prefers to have their firstname and username printed along with their home wiki, but didn't want my fullname printed I'm happy that aspect of the badge worked - it wasn't an option in Gdansk.

With such a high proportion of us presenting I'm not sure that printing the word Presenter is important. But a larger font would have helped. As for the idea of printing on both sides of the badge, that would be good, but you'd need it to be on both halves of a folded over badge so that all the miniguides, tshirt tickets and beach party gubbins could be put between the two halves rather than obscuring things.

Generally I think that the moderation was more effective at keeping people to time than previous years - I only witnessed one incident of a presenter being annoyed because he was third  and much of his time had been taken by the two previous slots overruning. But our approach could be far more interactive, we are all used to interaction rather than being passive recipients of information. Yet at Wikimania many speakers who are given a twenty minute slot drop the time for questions and try to cram everything into twenty minutes, rather than working out what they can say in ten minutes and giving the audience ten minutes to ask questions/ refute their argument. 

WereSpielChequers

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Manuel Schneider-3
In reply to this post by Roan Kattouw-2
Thanks for the input. I have started changing / enhancing the Wikimania
Handbook accordingly.

Maybe some of you didn't know it already but it is extremely helpful. We
have started this last year after Wikimania in Gdansk and it is already
quite big:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania/Handbook


/Manuel
--
Regards
Manuel Schneider

Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
Wikimedia CH - Association for the advancement of free knowledge
www.wikimedia.ch

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

KIZU Naoko
In reply to this post by Lodewijk
Or just your photos are plenty of Commons. :D

User name and home wiki are musts in my opinion, WMF staff are
preferable (and separated from the organizing team) since even during
the conference some topics raised up and there would be many people
who wanted to talk w/ staffers but not known who were whom - not every
people joined Berlinerkonferenz and [[wmf:Staff]] doesn't provide us
every single staffer photos. In addition, it sometimes may be a bit
tough to distinguish Mr. A from Mr.B if those two comes from the one
same ethnic group. Conclusion: clear printing names and if possible
affiliation is beneficial. Not for only for us wikimaniacs but also
for the people got so an interested to come and see who Wikimedians
would be - The lesser you've got involved into the community, the more
clues might help.

Also, even if an option, I prefer to see a latenized name along in
their original script. Either printed or handwriting. In other words
in East Asia the local may often be referred in their original names,
specially they are active in that area. I suppose same may happen in
other linguistic group dominating areas, but I might be wrong.

Sorry for sounding my saying is too much corner picking, but I'd just
love to write down before things flow from my mind.

Cheers,

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personally, I found it a nice experience to not have all those titles thrown
> into my face every time I saw a badge. But then I know most of the people
> already, so maybe I'm not a fair person to consider there :)
> Lodewijk
>
> 2011/8/10 Roan Kattouw <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Itzik Edri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Everyone during the registration process had the option to select which
>> > lines and titles will be printed on his badge. We didn't want to print
>> > things that people not asked (as some people even select not to print
>> > their
>> > personal name). For our perspective, WMF staff are also part of
>> > the community, and it's for them (or the foundation) to decide which
>> > titles
>> > will be printed
>> I know, and I do believe I filled out that field. I don't remember
>> what I put there myself, but I find it hard to believe that every
>> single WMF staff member left that field blank.
>>
>> Roan
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimania-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>
>



--
KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Thomas Dalton
2011/8/10 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>:
> Also, even if an option, I prefer to see a latenized name along in
> their original script. Either printed or handwriting. In other words
> in East Asia the local may often be referred in their original names,
> specially they are active in that area. I suppose same may happen in
> other linguistic group dominating areas, but I might be wrong.

That's a good point. I spoke to one Israeli Wikimedian over lunch that
only had his name in Hebrew script on his badge, which was no use to
me. A transliteration into the Latin alphabet would have been very
helpful.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Иванов Вячеслав
IPA would do better than "English" approximations usually do :)

Viatcheslav

11.08.2011, 02:00, "Thomas Dalton" <[hidden email]>:

> 2011/8/10 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>:
>
>>  Also, even if an option, I prefer to see a latenized name along in
>>  their original script. Either printed or handwriting. In other words
>>  in East Asia the local may often be referred in their original names,
>>  specially they are active in that area. I suppose same may happen in
>>  other linguistic group dominating areas, but I might be wrong.
>
> That's a good point. I spoke to one Israeli Wikimedian over lunch that
> only had his name in Hebrew script on his badge, which was no use to
> me. A transliteration into the Latin alphabet would have been very
> helpful.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

Thomas Dalton
2011/8/10 Иванов Вячеслав <[hidden email]>:
> IPA would do better than "English" approximations usually do :)

Only for people that know IPA - and know it for the phonemes used in
that language, too. I can muddle through most of the IPA symbols used
in English (since I've read so many Wikipedia articles that use it),
but I get lost very quickly when trying to understand the
pronunciations for foreign words.

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thanks for all the fish... and lessons learned

KIZU Naoko
In reply to this post by Иванов Вячеслав
As Tom said, it works for IPA savvy, but I'm afraid every Wikipedia
has a full set of articles on every IPA symbols. Considering the fact
most of states regulates the name of passport holder is printed in
Latin alphabet, transcription in Latin scripts may work more
practically than IPA in regard of international characteristics of the
event.

Showing local names is nice, and sometimes I did so with my hand
writing, on the other hand as discussed earlier on foundation-l, we
need to encourage participants to use both each local language and a
certain lingua franca in our global community, and the latter is, at
this moment and for Wikimania particularly, transliteration in latin
script I assume.

2011/8/11 Иванов Вячеслав <[hidden email]>:

> IPA would do better than "English" approximations usually do :)
>
> Viatcheslav
>
> 11.08.2011, 02:00, "Thomas Dalton" <[hidden email]>:
>> 2011/8/10 KIZU Naoko <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>>  Also, even if an option, I prefer to see a latenized name along in
>>>  their original script. Either printed or handwriting. In other words
>>>  in East Asia the local may often be referred in their original names,
>>>  specially they are active in that area. I suppose same may happen in
>>>  other linguistic group dominating areas, but I might be wrong.
>>
>> That's a good point. I spoke to one Israeli Wikimedian over lunch that
>> only had his name in Hebrew script on his badge, which was no use to
>> me. A transliteration into the Latin alphabet would have been very
>> helpful.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimania-l mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimania-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
>



--
KIZU Naoko / 木津尚子
member of Wikimedians in Kansai  / 関西ウィキメディアユーザ会 http://kansai.wikimedia.jp

_______________________________________________
Wikimania-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimania-l
12