The 09 F9 magic number

David Gerard-2
is on the AACS crack article on es:wp, and they say they're not going
to remove it because en:wp doesn't have it - not unless and until the
Foundation declares it must go.

- d.

Re: The 09 F9 magic number

Dominic-21
David Gerard wrote:

> is on the AACS crack article on es:wp, and they say they're not going
> to remove it because en:wp doesn't have it - not unless and until the
> Foundation declares it must go.
>

> - d.

Note that the discussion is going on here:
<http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Caf%C3%A9#Un_acto_de_est.C3.BApida_censura>.
An editor (the title "Un acto de estúpida censura" translates to "An act
of stupid censorship") makes a post criticizing that the key was put in
the filter, and telling how it can be bypassed (as he does, writing the
whole key) by using the markup "&nbsp;" or colons instead of blank
spaces. Other editors (everyone there, I see) disagree with him, and one
points him to the essay [[w:en:Wikipedia:Keyspam]], and others offer
useful suggestions, including that the full key itself is not needed to
write an article about the controversy.

I imagine your interpretation that "they" say they won't remove it until
the Foundation tells them to comes from this post on the article's
(<http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversia_por_la_clave_cifrado_AACS>)
talk page, by the same editor as above, and the same one adding the key
to the article
(<http://es.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Controversia_por_la_clave_cifrado_AACS&diff=8575366&oldid=8575072>):

- "A mi juicio, es información pertinente, de público conocimiento a
estas alturas, y publicada también por varios medios de prensa (algunos
de ellos referidos en el artículo). Si en el futuro la Fundación
Wikimedia recibe una notificación de "cease and desist", veremos.
Cinabrium <http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usuario:Cinabrium>"

Translation:
- "In my opinion, the information is relevant, public knowledge by now,
and also published by various other press sources (some of them
referenced in the article). If in the future the Wikimedia Foundation
receives a "cease and desist" order, we'll see."
<http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discusi%C3%B3n:Controversia_por_la_clave_cifrado_AACS>

It appears to me that 1) if we're serious about the filter, this is a
rather trivial workaround that can be fixed, and 2) with one editor
arguing for the key, and a two day old article, there's no need for
panic: it appears to be a simple content dispute that community will
work it out just fine. In fact, I rather liked reading that Café
discussion. Of course, anyone here who is able can go add your voice to
the chorus, if you prefer...

Dominic

Re: The 09 F9 magic number

David Gerard-2
On 08/05/07, Dmcdevit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It appears to me that 1) if we're serious about the filter, this is a
> rather trivial workaround that can be fixed, and

The filter is because of spam. The colon version isn't being spammed.

> 2) with one editor
> arguing for the key, and a two day old article, there's no need for
> panic: it appears to be a simple content dispute that community will
> work it out just fine. In fact, I rather liked reading that Café
> discussion. Of course, anyone here who is able can go add your voice to
> the chorus, if you prefer...

Indeed.

The panic over the number is completely stupid.

- d.