The Damned Commons Image Deletion Cycle

George William Herbert
I have just had to deal with this - AGAIN - and would like to rail for a
moment, hoping to provoke discussion to promote change.  I posit that this
is big enough to deserve a Foundation-wide venue for initial discussion so
am including Wikitech-L.

Most of us are probably familiar with the cycle:

Person A on en.wp (or, any project) uploads an image which is apparently
public domain or free use by any reasonable standard.  It gets put on
article X.  There is much rejoicing.

Person B later thinks "Oh, this is something other projects might use, and
it's 'free', so..." and uploads it to Commons.  It then gets deleted at
en.wp by a helpful bot.

Person C on Commons later identifies that it fails to be an entirely free
piece under the much-stricter Commons rules, due to some factor that A and
B were unaware of.  Person C nominates it for deletion there.  Poof.  Gone.

Now, we have NO image, for something that is sufficiently legal under our
rules and the law for use on en.wp (and likely, most of the rest of the
projects).  A delinker bot helpfully comes along and nukes references to
the image off the pages that used to have it.  Maintainers who miss the bot
edit fail to notice that it's gone.  Many months or years go along and
finally someone notices, and either is an admin and restores the image on
en.wp or finds an admin who restores it on en.wp.

Now, for someone who sees images as an integral part of the total
READERSHIP value we present, in terms of helping people understand things
by drawing their attention and expressing ideas and history in a visual
manner, the long periods where we've lost all image are mind-numbingly
counter to our core mission.  That we've evolved into this cycle due to
bureaucratic friction does not make it acceptable.

PROPOSED: This is not acceptable.  Something must be done.

SUGGESTED FIX #1: Create a parallel "Uncommons" project, for shared images
which meet minimum project legal non-copyvio standards but do not meet the
threshold Commons is insisting on (or we have defined Commons to be).  This
requires coding in the WMF to allow a parallel project as image source, and
would require that Commons' deletion process be modified such that
deletions for copyright niggles be a shift-to-Uncommons rather than an
outright delete.

SUGGESTED FIX #2: Stop deleting things from local projects when they're
uploaded to commons.  This requires additional diskspace from the
Foundation (by some as-yet unknown amount).  Ops team - Could you attempt
to determine if this would be significant, troublesome, small enough to not
be significant, etc?

These are not the only two possible solutions, but they come to mind
immediately (and have previously when I thought of this).  Additional fix
concepts solicited and welcomed.

--
-george william herbert

Re: The Damned Commons Image Deletion Cycle

Huib Laurens
To suggestion 2:

It makes no difference at all for the discspace if a file gets deleted or
not. Since you are always able to restore it it will stay on the server.

Suggestion 3: Restore the file on en.wiki if it gets deleted on Commons...
No coding needed at all.

Huib

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM, George Herbert <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I have just had to deal with this - AGAIN - and would like to rail for a
> moment, hoping to provoke discussion to promote change.  I posit that this
> is big enough to deserve a Foundation-wide venue for initial discussion so
> am including Wikitech-L.
>
> Most of us are probably familiar with the cycle:
>
> Person A on en.wp (or, any project) uploads an image which is apparently
> public domain or free use by any reasonable standard.  It gets put on
> article X.  There is much rejoicing.
>
> Person B later thinks "Oh, this is something other projects might use, and
> it's 'free', so..." and uploads it to Commons.  It then gets deleted at
> en.wp by a helpful bot.
>
> Person C on Commons later identifies that it fails to be an entirely free
> piece under the much-stricter Commons rules, due to some factor that A and
> B were unaware of.  Person C nominates it for deletion there.  Poof.  Gone.
>
> Now, we have NO image, for something that is sufficiently legal under our
> rules and the law for use on en.wp (and likely, most of the rest of the
> projects).  A delinker bot helpfully comes along and nukes references to
> the image off the pages that used to have it.  Maintainers who miss the bot
> edit fail to notice that it's gone.  Many months or years go along and
> finally someone notices, and either is an admin and restores the image on
> en.wp or finds an admin who restores it on en.wp.
>

> Now, for someone who sees images as an integral part of the total
> READERSHIP value we present, in terms of helping people understand things
> by drawing their attention and expressing ideas and history in a visual
> manner, the long periods where we've lost all image are mind-numbingly
> counter to our core mission.  That we've evolved into this cycle due to
> bureaucratic friction does not make it acceptable.
>

> PROPOSED: This is not acceptable.  Something must be done.
>
> SUGGESTED FIX #1: Create a parallel "Uncommons" project, for shared images
> which meet minimum project legal non-copyvio standards but do not meet the
> threshold Commons is insisting on (or we have defined Commons to be).  This
> requires coding in the WMF to allow a parallel project as image source, and
> would require that Commons' deletion process be modified such that
> deletions for copyright niggles be a shift-to-Uncommons rather than an
> outright delete.
>
> SUGGESTED FIX #2: Stop deleting things from local projects when they're
> uploaded to commons.  This requires additional diskspace from the
> Foundation (by some as-yet unknown amount).  Ops team - Could you attempt
> to determine if this would be significant, troublesome, small enough to not
> be significant, etc?
>

> These are not the only two possible solutions, but they come to mind
> immediately (and have previously when I thought of this).  Additional fix
> concepts solicited and welcomed.
>

> --
> -george william herbert

Met vriendelijke groet,

Huib Laurens

Re: The Damned Commons Image Deletion Cycle

Tyler Romeo
On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Suggestion 3: Restore the file on en.wiki if it gets deleted on Commons...
> No coding needed at all.

This right here. It should be trivial to just have an admin restore the
deleted file.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science
www.whizkidztech.com | [hidden email]

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Suggestion 3: Restore the file on en.wiki if it gets deleted on
> Commons...
> > No coding needed at all.
> >

> This right here. It should be trivial to just have an admin restore the
> deleted file.

I am an admin, it took about five minutes to find the proper file name and
undelete it again.

HOWEVER - this was 16 months after it was deleted in the first place.

The imperfect nature of people catching such changes in watchlists is the
problem.  This means that the delay until local restore can be arbitrarily
long on non-super-popular pages.

IF the Commons upload were to include the origin file / project and require
the deleter at commons to notify en.wp admins to restore it there, that
would solve the problem.

Or, alternately, we could require that the image be added to all the
constituent projects now using the file in article space upon commons
deletion (undelete on the origin, add it to the projects for other ones
that started using it).  Put the onus on commons deleters to do that and
make it a policy requirement that they did.

I put wikien-l back in the cc list as these are non-technical proposals and
would require ... I guess, commons process.  I don't know what the commons
list is, and am not on it to be able to post to it.

On 5 August 2013 08:43, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Suggestion 3: Restore the file on en.wiki if it gets deleted on Commons...
>> No coding needed at all.

> This right here. It should be trivial to just have an admin restore the
> deleted file.

Or, indeed, for the delinker bot to mark it for restoration.

- d.

Re: The Damned Commons Image Deletion Cycle

Martijn Hoekstra
On Aug 5, 2013 9:54 AM, "David Gerard" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 August 2013 08:43, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> >> Suggestion 3: Restore the file on en.wiki if it gets deleted on
Commons...

> >> No coding needed at all.
>
> > This right here. It should be trivial to just have an admin restore the
> > deleted file.
>

> Or, indeed, for the delinker bot to mark it for restoration.
>

> - d.

+1

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 August 2013 08:43, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >> Suggestion 3: Restore the file on en.wiki if it gets deleted on
> Commons...
> >> No coding needed at all.
>
> > This right here. It should be trivial to just have an admin restore the
> > deleted file.
>

> Or, indeed, for the delinker bot to mark it for restoration.

...if the same filename was used in Commons as in the source wiki.  That
does not solve the "now used on other wikis" problem, however, for those
other wikis.

That is quite possibly a least-effort trajectory however...

--
-george william herbert

Re: The Damned Commons Image Deletion Cycle

Huib Laurens
Ehm, if a file gets deleted 16 months after the move there is still a log
entry from the change in the history of the article right?

But if CommonsDelinker should report a list of all deleted files on a
wikipage people would be able to check them and restore the local versions
when needed?

Secondly we should also learn people what can and what can't be moved to
Commons so we won't have the problem also.

Huib

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5 August 2013 08:43, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 3:40 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> >> Suggestion 3: Restore the file on en.wiki if it gets deleted on
> Commons...
> >> No coding needed at all.
>
> > This right here. It should be trivial to just have an admin restore the
> > deleted file.
>

> Or, indeed, for the delinker bot to mark it for restoration.
>

> - d.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Huib Laurens

On Aug 5, 2013 9:58 AM, "George Herbert" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM, David Gerard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 5 August 2013 08:43, Tyler Romeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Commons...
> >
> > > This right here. It should be trivial to just have an admin restore
the

> > > deleted file.
> >

> > Or, indeed, for the delinker bot to mark it for restoration.
> >

> ...if the same filename was used in Commons as in the source wiki.  That
> does not solve the "now used on other wikis" problem, however, for those
> other wikis.
>
> That is quite possibly a least-effort trajectory however...

Maybe don't delink it in the first place when it is in use on any projects

> --
> -george william herbert

Re: The Damned Commons Image Deletion Cycle

Martijn Hoekstra
On Aug 5, 2013 10:01 AM, "Martijn Hoekstra" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2013 9:58 AM, "George Herbert" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Commons...

the

> > > Or, indeed, for the delinker bot to mark it for restoration.
> > >

> > ...if the same filename was used in Commons as in the source wiki.  That
> > does not solve the "now used on other wikis" problem, however, for those
> > other wikis.
> >
> > That is quite possibly a least-effort trajectory however...
> >

> Maybe don't delink it in the first place when it is in use on any
projects
To me, its early, early enough to spout nonsense apparently. Let me re try
that one. Maybe don't de link it if the image was migrated to commons from
one of the other projects.

(the morning is my natural enemy)

> > --
> > -george william herbert

Re: The Damned Commons Image Deletion Cycle

Huib Laurens
Not delink it when its in use on other projects will leave a lot of broken
links on projects. I can't believe that would be something what we want?

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Martijn Hoekstra <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2013 9:58 AM, "George Herbert" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Commons...

> the
> > >

> > > Or, indeed, for the delinker bot to mark it for restoration.
> > >

> > ...if the same filename was used in Commons as in the source wiki.  That
> > does not solve the "now used on other wikis" problem, however, for those
> > other wikis.
> >
> > That is quite possibly a least-effort trajectory however...
> >

> Maybe don't delink it in the first place when it is in use on any projects
>

> > --
> > -george william herbert

Met vriendelijke groet,

Huib Laurens

Re: The Damned Commons Image Deletion Cycle

George William Herbert
It would leave a paper trail that editors could use to find the commons
image, and hopefully its original source, to go get it from for other
projects.

Hmm.  Maybe not.  Not sure there's enough info there for that.  It's late,
solve in morning.

-george

On Aug 5, 2013 10:10 AM, "Huib Laurens" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not delink it when its in use on other projects will leave a lot of broken
> links on projects. I can't believe that would be something what we want?

Why not? It immediately alerts whoever looks at it that there  is something
wrong with the image (which there is). Sure, it doesn't look pretty, but
you can't have your cake and eat it too. Unless we would want to fork
development and presentation on our projects, but that's a whole different
discussion.

wrote:

> > the

> > > ...if the same filename was used in Commons as in the source wiki.
 That
> > > does not solve the "now used on other wikis" problem, however, for
those
> > > other wikis.
> > >
> > > That is quite possibly a least-effort trajectory however...
> > >

> > Maybe don't delink it in the first place when it is in use on any
projects

> > > --
> > > -george william herbert
> > > [hidden email]

> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Huib Laurens

Re: The Damned Commons Image Deletion Cycle

Huib Laurens
The bot alters a page and alerts people about it on the watchlist. By just
deleting the file it can take weeks before somebody even notice that there
is something wrong.

Besides that we have maybe 10 project that allow fair-use.... Why do we
need to break links at 600+ wiki's for 10 wiki's with a different policy?

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Martijn Hoekstra <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2013 10:10 AM, "Huib Laurens" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Not delink it when its in use on other projects will leave a lot of
> broken
> > links on projects. I can't believe that would be something what we want?
> >

> Why not? It immediately alerts whoever looks at it that there  is something
> wrong with the image (which there is). Sure, it doesn't look pretty, but
> you can't have your cake and eat it too. Unless we would want to fork
> development and presentation on our projects, but that's a whole different
> discussion.
>

> > On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Martijn Hoekstra <
> [hidden email]
> > > wrote:

> [hidden email]>

> restore
> > > the

>  That
> those

> > > Maybe don't delink it in the first place when it is in use on any
> projects

> > Met vriendelijke groet,
> >
> > Huib Laurens

Met vriendelijke groet,

Huib Laurens

On Aug 5, 2013, at 3:24 AM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Besides that we have maybe 10 project that allow fair-use.... Why do we
> need to break links at 600+ wiki's for 10 wiki's with a different policy?

It would be nice if the Foundation and other projects, particularly shared resources, were en.wikipedia compatible.

That's not "all must accept fair use!", but if you keep pissing off english language users, something is wrong.

This has been wrong for *years*...

Particular solutions here should minimize the pain and suffering for all, if at all possible.  But I am bringing this up because what we do now is not the minimum point across the projects for that pain and suffering.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Huib Laurens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The bot alters a page and alerts people about it on the watchlist. By just
> deleting the file it can take weeks before somebody even notice that there
> is something wrong.

How about the best of both worlds, the bot makes a null edit to alert
people who have the article watchlisted, and the link stays broken to alert
everybody else.