The Great American Wiknic

Pharos-3
HI fellow USians,

I'd like to propose The Great American Wiknic, a Wiki-Picnic to be
held in cities across the United States on the same day (maybe
Saturday June 18?) in Summer 2011.

I think this could be a great way of building up some of the
grassroots activist energy we'll need to really cement
Wikipedia/Wikimedia as a strong on-the-ground movement throughout the
varied regions of the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic

PS Welcome to everyone who's a member of or interested in the
'Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States' (WALRUS)
committee:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_United_States_Chapters_Council#WALRUS_committee

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)
Wikimedia NYC

Re: The Great American Wiknic

Aude-2
On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI fellow USians,

I'd like to propose The Great American Wiknic, a Wiki-Picnic to be
held in cities across the United States on the same day (maybe
Saturday June 18?) in Summer 2011.

What a wonderful idea!  I think DC folks would definitely be interested.

For a date, I'd propose the following weekend, maybe Sunday, June 26. (we tentatively have a NARA - National Archives meetup on June 11)

Cheers,
Katie

I think this could be a great way of building up some of the
grassroots activist energy we'll need to really cement
Wikipedia/Wikimedia as a strong on-the-ground movement throughout the
varied regions of the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic

PS Welcome to everyone who's a member of or interested in the
'Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States' (WALRUS)
committee:

+1 please join!

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_United_States_Chapters_Council#WALRUS_committee

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)
Wikimedia NYC

Re: The Great American Wiknic

phroziac@gmail.com

Im not active anymore but id love to join in/help out. Im in southwest michigan but would travel to chicago.....keep me in on this!

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 10:14 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Im not active anymore but id love to join in/help out. Im in southwest
> michigan but would travel to chicago.....keep me in on this!

Great, I know we have a few more wiki folk in Chicagoland on this list
already, maybe you'd like to chime in too :)

Looking forward to seeing a Wiknic in the Windy City!

Other areas interested, too?

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)
Wikimedia NYC

> On Apr 8, 2011 10:10 AM, "Alex Stinson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That is a great idea Pharos! Unfortunately I will still be in the UK come
> June 18 :( Thats alright though.
> Alex Stinson
>
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> HI fellow USians,...

Re: The Great American Wiknic

Pharos-3
Hi Aude and wiknicers all,

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:22 AM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> HI fellow USians,
>>
>> I'd like to propose The Great American Wiknic, a Wiki-Picnic to be
>> held in cities across the United States on the same day (maybe
>> Saturday June 18?) in Summer 2011.
>
> What a wonderful idea!  I think DC folks would definitely be interested.
>
> For a date, I'd propose the following weekend, maybe Sunday, June 26. (we
> tentatively have a NARA - National Archives meetup on June 11)

The weekend of June 25-26 is great too; I was just trying to schedule
something around the mid-summer solstice.  On any particular weekend,
though, maybe it's better to plan on Saturday for the Wiknic, and
reserve Sunday as the raindate :)

>> I think this could be a great way of building up some of the
>> grassroots activist energy we'll need to really cement
>> Wikipedia/Wikimedia as a strong on-the-ground movement throughout the
>> varied regions of the US.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic
>>
>> PS Welcome to everyone who's a member of or interested in the
>> 'Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States' (WALRUS)
>> committee:
>
> +1 please join!

Yes, we'd love to have more US local regions represented in the WALRUS
committee!

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)
Wikimedias NYC

Re: The Great American Wiknic

Pete Forsyth-2
I'd be happy to try to get something together in SF. There's a local Wikimedia list here; should I forward the suggestion,or wait until the date is a little more settled?

Pete

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Aude and wiknicers all,

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:22 AM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> HI fellow USians,
>>
>> I'd like to propose The Great American Wiknic, a Wiki-Picnic to be
>> held in cities across the United States on the same day (maybe
>> Saturday June 18?) in Summer 2011.
>
> What a wonderful idea!  I think DC folks would definitely be interested.
>
> For a date, I'd propose the following weekend, maybe Sunday, June 26. (we
> tentatively have a NARA - National Archives meetup on June 11)

The weekend of June 25-26 is great too; I was just trying to schedule
something around the mid-summer solstice.  On any particular weekend,
though, maybe it's better to plan on Saturday for the Wiknic, and
reserve Sunday as the raindate :)

>> I think this could be a great way of building up some of the
>> grassroots activist energy we'll need to really cement
>> Wikipedia/Wikimedia as a strong on-the-ground movement throughout the
>> varied regions of the US.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic
>>
>> PS Welcome to everyone who's a member of or interested in the
>> 'Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States' (WALRUS)
>> committee:
>
> +1 please join!

Yes, we'd love to have more US local regions represented in the WALRUS
committee!

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)
Wikimedias NYC

Re: The Great American Wiknic

Pharos-3
Hi Pete and fellow USians,

I think we're tending to settle on Sat June 25 as the date for The
Great American Wiknic (1st Annual).

It's not 100% yet, but we definitely encourage developing more local
conversations and planning for events across the USA.

So by all means, start raising the conversation in SF! And elsewhere!

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)
Wikimedias NYC

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Pete Forsyth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd be happy to try to get something together in SF. There's a local
> Wikimedia list here; should I forward the suggestion,or wait until the date
> is a little more settled?
> Pete
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aude and wiknicers all,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:22 AM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > What a wonderful idea!  I think DC folks would definitely be interested.
>> >
>> > For a date, I'd propose the following weekend, maybe Sunday, June 26.
>> > (we
>> > tentatively have a NARA - National Archives meetup on June 11)
>>
>> The weekend of June 25-26 is great too; I was just trying to schedule
>> something around the mid-summer solstice.  On any particular weekend,
>> though, maybe it's better to plan on Saturday for the Wiknic, and
>> reserve Sunday as the raindate :)

>> > +1 please join!
>>
>> Yes, we'd love to have more US local regions represented in the WALRUS
>> committee!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>> (User:Pharos)
>> Wikimedias NYC

Re: The Great American Wiknic

Alex Stinson
I think we should do a national geonotice to notify people about this mailing list and the planning page for the Great American Wiknic! That would only need to be up for a couple weeks now, and then we can do another one at the beginning of June asking people to participate in their local events,

Alex Stinson

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Pete and fellow USians,

I think we're tending to settle on Sat June 25 as the date for The
Great American Wiknic (1st Annual).

It's not 100% yet, but we definitely encourage developing more local
conversations and planning for events across the USA.

So by all means, start raising the conversation in SF! And elsewhere!

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)
Wikimedias NYC

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Pete Forsyth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd be happy to try to get something together in SF. There's a local
> Wikimedia list here; should I forward the suggestion,or wait until the date
> is a little more settled?
> Pete
>
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aude and wiknicers all,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 12:22 AM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > What a wonderful idea!  I think DC folks would definitely be interested.
>> >
>> > For a date, I'd propose the following weekend, maybe Sunday, June 26.
>> > (we
>> > tentatively have a NARA - National Archives meetup on June 11)
>>
>> The weekend of June 25-26 is great too; I was just trying to schedule
>> something around the mid-summer solstice.  On any particular weekend,
>> though, maybe it's better to plan on Saturday for the Wiknic, and
>> reserve Sunday as the raindate :)

>> > +1 please join!
>>
>> Yes, we'd love to have more US local regions represented in the WALRUS
>> committee!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>> (User:Pharos)
>> Wikimedias NYC

Re: The Great American Wiknic

Pharos-3
HI fellow USians,

I'm happy to report we now have 10 (!) US cities in planning for local
celebrations of 'The Great American Wiknic' on Saturday, June 25:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic#Cities_and_parks

(Chicago, Cincinnatti, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia,
Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh, San Francisco, & Washington DC so
far...)

Please add your hometown, and help flesh out local details!

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is a great idea Pharos! Unfortunately I will still be in the UK come
> June 18 :( Thats alright though.
> Alex Stinson
>
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> HI fellow USians,
>>
>> I'd like to propose The Great American Wiknic, a Wiki-Picnic to be
>> held in cities across the United States on the same day (maybe
>> Saturday June 18?) in Summer 2011.
>>
>> I think this could be a great way of building up some of the
>> grassroots activist energy we'll need to really cement
>> Wikipedia/Wikimedia as a strong on-the-ground movement throughout the
>> varied regions of the US.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic
>>
>> PS Welcome to everyone who's a member of or interested in the
>> 'Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States' (WALRUS)
>> committee:
>>

>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_United_States_Chapters_Council#WALRUS_committee
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>> (User:Pharos)
>> Wikimedia NYC

Re: The Great American Wiknic

metasj
This sounds great.  I bet we could get some city support for making
these part of a "city awareness" day in many places.

I will be in Buenos Aires for the Iberocoop meeting, but maybe we can
have a sympathetic wicnic down south...

SJ

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI fellow USians,
>
> I'm happy to report we now have 10 (!) US cities in planning for local
> celebrations of 'The Great American Wiknic' on Saturday, June 25:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic#Cities_and_parks
>
> (Chicago, Cincinnatti, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia,
> Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh, San Francisco, & Washington DC so
> far...)
>
> Please add your hometown, and help flesh out local details!
>
> PS Welcome to everyone who's a member of or interested in
> the'Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States' (WALRUS)
> committee:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_United_States_Chapters_Council#WALRUS_committee
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
> (User:Pharos)
> Wikimedia NYC
>
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Alex Stinson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That is a great idea Pharos! Unfortunately I will still be in the UK come
>> June 18 :( Thats alright though.
>> Alex Stinson
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:12 AM, Pharos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> HI fellow USians,
>>>
>>> I'd like to propose The Great American Wiknic, a Wiki-Picnic to be
>>> held in cities across the United States on the same day (maybe
>>> Saturday June 18?) in Summer 2011.
>>>
>>> I think this could be a great way of building up some of the
>>> grassroots activist energy we'll need to really cement
>>> Wikipedia/Wikimedia as a strong on-the-ground movement throughout the
>>> varied regions of the US.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic
>>>
>>> PS Welcome to everyone who's a member of or interested in the
>>> 'Wikimedians Active in Local Regions of the United States' (WALRUS)
>>> committee:
>>>

>>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_United_States_Chapters_Council#WALRUS_committee
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Richard
>>> (User:Pharos)
>>> Wikimedia NYC

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: The Great American Wiknic

Pharos-3
And now with 16 Wiknic cities in planning!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wiknic#Cities_and_parks

But now is the time to start beefing up the meetup pages for all the
individual events, so get cracking ppl!

Thanks,
Richard
(User:Pharos)