The Paypal donation notice is very distracting

The Paypal donation notice is very distracting

Oleg Alexandrov
I am very well aware of foundation's need for money, and I love
the fact that Wikipedia is advertisement-free.

Yet the new Paypal donation notice with now hangs on top of every
Wikipedia page is awfully ugly and distracting.

Can we make it one line only, just a pointer to a page where
people can donate? The way it is now it is no better than an
ugly advertisement to start with.

Oleg Alexandrov

Re: The Paypal donation notice is very distracting

Erik Moeller-4
On 12/16/06, Oleg Alexandrov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can we make it one line only, just a pointer to a page where
> people can donate? The way it is now it is no better than an
> ugly advertisement to start with.

We'll be tweaking the notice a lot over the next few days, but it may,
at times, get more "ugly" than you would like or even stay that way,
depending on whether statistics indicate that it is necessary. The
tiniest of notices is clearly not sufficient to raise the money we
need. If you want to work without the notice, click the little
[dismiss] link at the bottom right corner.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Re: The Paypal donation notice is very distracting

Judson Dunn-2
> We'll be tweaking the notice a lot over the next few days, but it may,
> at times, get more "ugly" than you would like or even stay that way,
> depending on whether statistics indicate that it is necessary. The
> tiniest of notices is clearly not sufficient to raise the money we
> need. If you want to work without the notice, click the little
> [dismiss] link at the bottom right corner.
> --
> Peace & Love,
> Erik

I haven't seen anyone else ask this question, so I will go ahead. Is
there a pressing need for funds right now? Because if not I'm not
really clear on why we would do a fundraiser weeks before Christmas is
celebrated by so many of our would-be donors. I'm sure this has been
brought up, but could someone clarify it again?

Judson
[[:en:User:Cohesion]]

Re: The Paypal donation notice is very distracting

Brad Patrick
Cohesion - you bet.  We need to buy equipment and expand bandwidth as
soon as possible.  We have been barely keeping up.

cohesion wrote:

> On 12/16/06, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> We'll be tweaking the notice a lot over the next few days, but it may,
>> at times, get more "ugly" than you would like or even stay that way,
>> depending on whether statistics indicate that it is necessary. The
>> tiniest of notices is clearly not sufficient to raise the money we
>> need. If you want to work without the notice, click the little
>> [dismiss] link at the bottom right corner.
>> --
>> Peace & Love,
>> Erik
>>

> I haven't seen anyone else ask this question, so I will go ahead. Is
> there a pressing need for funds right now? Because if not I'm not
> really clear on why we would do a fundraiser weeks before Christmas is
> celebrated by so many of our would-be donors. I'm sure this has been
> brought up, but could someone clarify it again?
>
> Judson
> [[:en:User:Cohesion]]

Re: The Paypal donation notice is very distracting

Andrew Lih
On 12/17/06, cohesion <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/16/06, Erik Moeller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > We'll be tweaking the notice a lot over the next few days, but it may,
> > at times, get more "ugly" than you would like or even stay that way,
> > depending on whether statistics indicate that it is necessary. The
> > tiniest of notices is clearly not sufficient to raise the money we
> > need. If you want to work without the notice, click the little
> > [dismiss] link at the bottom right corner.
> > --
> > Peace & Love,
> > Erik
>
> I haven't seen anyone else ask this question, so I will go ahead. Is
> there a pressing need for funds right now? Because if not I'm not
> really clear on why we would do a fundraiser weeks before Christmas is
> celebrated by so many of our would-be donors. I'm sure this has been
> brought up, but could someone clarify it again?

Money is needed for funds/staffing, and another factor is that for
Americans, there is an incentive to donate at the end of the year for
tax deduction purposes.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)