The Weather in Esino Lario

Risker
I've been following the long-range forecasts and it appears that we can expect the following during the course of our visit to this little village in the Italian Alps:

  • Daytime high temperatures between 16 and 20 degrees Celsius (62-28 degrees Fahrenheit for our American colleagues).  For many of us this is "hoodie" weather, and it appears this is a bit cooler than average for this time of the year.
  • Night time temperatures between 7-9 degrees Celsius (45-52 degrees Fahrenheit).
  • Short periods of rain, possibly including a thunderstorm, on many days.  Most likely to occur in the later afternoon. The rest of the time, we're likely to see glorious sunshine.
Whatever else we might want to grumble about, our convenors cannot be blamed for the weather.  Looks like it will be a good idea to pack some layers, something that can handle a heavy downpour of rain, and maybe some sunscreen too.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple of days.

Risker/Anne

Re: The Weather in Esino Lario

Sage Ross
The current forecasts say that it might be quite a bit hotter than
usual during Wikimania — as high as 29°C on Thursday, if
accuweather.com is right.

-Sage

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been following the long-range forecasts and it appears that we can
> expect the following during the course of our visit to this little village
> in the Italian Alps:
>
> Daytime high temperatures between 16 and 20 degrees Celsius (62-28 degrees
> Fahrenheit for our American colleagues).  For many of us this is "hoodie"
> weather, and it appears this is a bit cooler than average for this time of
> the year.
> Night time temperatures between 7-9 degrees Celsius (45-52 degrees
> Fahrenheit).
> Short periods of rain, possibly including a thunderstorm, on many days.
> Most likely to occur in the later afternoon. The rest of the time, we're
> likely to see glorious sunshine.
>
> Whatever else we might want to grumble about, our convenors cannot be blamed
> for the weather.  Looks like it will be a good idea to pack some layers,
> something that can handle a heavy downpour of rain, and maybe some sunscreen
> too.
>
> Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple of days.
>
> Risker/Anne

Re: The Weather in Esino Lario

Lodewijk
Just for the record: 'hotter than usual during Wikimania' would probably require temperatures well above 30C... it is almost a tradition to have heat waves during our annual conference (Boston, Buenos Aires, Gdansk, Washington) or have it in a hot place in general (Taipei, Alexandria, Haifa, Hong Kong, Mexico). So having a 'cool wikimania' wouldn't be too bad actually!

Lodewijk