The effects of localisation on usability and user attraction

The effects of localisation on usability and user attraction

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I have written my thoughts on what a study on localisation and user statistics could be like. I have the feeling that localisation is only one factor in attracting users to Wikipedia. Localisation is one aspect of usability and it only becomes relevant when the technical environment is available and ready for users. This is already much to ask for; on my Windows XP computer only Safari of the modern browsers supports my home page in edit mode on the Lingala wikipedia.

What I hope to learn from you is how we can best prove what the value of localisation is. I am known to be an advocate of localisation and usability and I often find that people do not welcome my message. I am convinced that localisation is an essential part of attracting new people to both editing and reading and become part of our communities. With a better understanding of ist relative merit we may be possible to give localisation the right priority.
Thanks,
      GerardM

http://ln.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Utilisateur:GerardM&action=edit

Localisation and statistics.odt (37K) Download Attachment