The first book introduces Wikipedia in Chinese language is published today

The first book introduces Wikipedia in Chinese language is published today

Titan Deng
Hi, dear all,

I gladly inform you all that the first book intoduces Wikipedia in Chinese
language is published in Taiwan today. The author, Kaurjmeb(KJ), is one of
the administrators from zh.wikipedia. The title of this book is
「維基百科攻略:知識分享最前線」(Literally means, "Walkthrough of Wikipedia, the very first
line sharing knowledge"). KJ teaches the readers how to participate in
editing Wikipedia step by step in this book. This book is published by
PCuSER publishing company. You can get the information from
http://www.books.com.tw/exep/prod/booksfile.php?item=0010326363 (an online
bookstore website based in Taiwan). HAPPY HAPPY! ^_____^

Theodoranian

Foundation project taglines

Birgitte_sb
I had previously wrote an email suggesting we
standardize the tag lines accompanying the logos at
meta.  The problem surfaced at EN Wikipedia when after
six months of reading Wikisource The free library, the
tag line was changed during the Main Page redesign.
At the time I wrote I had thought the situation was
cooled off.  It seems that was premature.  Things have
flared up now at Template talk:WikipediaSister.
Neither side is going to convince the other at this
point.  Truly how the projects are represented is a
Foundation decision.  This situation will not be
resolved until the Foundation makes that decision, or
declares who the decision should be delegated to.

Birgitte SB

Re: Foundation project taglines

Cormac Lawler
On 3/23/06, Birgitte Arco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had previously wrote an email suggesting we
> standardize the tag lines accompanying the logos at
> meta.  The problem surfaced at EN Wikipedia when after
> six months of reading Wikisource The free library, the
> tag line was changed during the Main Page redesign.
> At the time I wrote I had thought the situation was
> cooled off.  It seems that was premature.  Things have
> flared up now at Template talk:WikipediaSister.
> Neither side is going to convince the other at this
> point.  Truly how the projects are represented is a
> Foundation decision.  This situation will not be
> resolved until the Foundation makes that decision, or
> declares who the decision should be delegated to.
>
> Birgitte SB

Hi Birgitte,

I don't see how the decision can be meaninfully made by anyone *but*
the community themselves, ie in this case, Wikisource. But I don't
know who would make this decision at the Foundation level, maybe the
board, maybe Jimbo himself.

I don't want to re-ignite the debate, but I'll make my own comment. I
followed the discussion more or less before and I've read the page you
linked to. I liked the 'compromise' of "free-content library", but
then I realised that all Wikimedia projects are free content. "The
free library" is fine, and, bottom line, it's what Wikisource have
already agreed on. If/when they agree on another, it'll be changed, as
has already been said.

Cormac

--- Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 3/23/06, Birgitte Arco <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > I had previously wrote an email suggesting we
> > standardize the tag lines accompanying the logos
> at
> > meta.  The problem surfaced at EN Wikipedia when
> after
> > six months of reading Wikisource The free library,
> the
> > tag line was changed during the Main Page
> redesign.
> > At the time I wrote I had thought the situation
> was
> > cooled off.  It seems that was premature.  Things
> have
> > flared up now at Template talk:WikipediaSister.
> > Neither side is going to convince the other at
> this
> > point.  Truly how the projects are represented is
> > Foundation decision.  This situation will not be
> > resolved until the Foundation makes that decision,
> or
> > declares who the decision should be delegated to.
> >
> > Birgitte SB
>

> Hi Birgitte,
>
> I don't see how the decision can be meaninfully made
> by anyone *but*
> the community themselves, ie in this case,
> Wikisource. But I don't
> know who would make this decision at the Foundation
> level, maybe the
> board, maybe Jimbo himself.
>
> I don't want to re-ignite the debate, but I'll make
> my own comment. I
> followed the discussion more or less before and I've
> read the page you
> linked to. I liked the 'compromise' of "free-content
> library", but
> then I realised that all Wikimedia projects are free
> content. "The
> free library" is fine, and, bottom line, it's what
> Wikisource have
> already agreed on. If/when they agree on another,
> it'll be changed, as
> has already been said.
>
> Cormac

I am not sure how it the decision would come about
either.  Of course I agree with your assement of the
situation, but others don't.  Until one side or the
other hears something authoritative I am afraid this
will be unsettled.

Birgitte SB

Re: Foundation project taglines

Essjay
It seems to me that there is a basic question that needs to be answered: Who
picks the slogan?

If the answer is "The Board" (or more generally, the Foundation, such that
it could be delegated to one of the committees), then the Board or other
appropriate foundation source needs to say "the official slogan is...", and
the projects need to understand that they don't have the opportunity to
change it. Some things are changeable, like the colors on the mainpage,
others are not, particularly those that are integral to our public image,
like the logo and the slogans.

If the answer is "The Community", first, the follow up, "Which community?".
If it is the case that each project community picks it's own slogan, then
that needs to be enforced. (That is, if Wikisource is responsible for
picking the Wikisource slogan, then whatever they pick needs to be
enforced.) If every project is allowed to pick whatever slogans it likes to
use for the other projects, then I'm changing the main page of Wikiquote to
reference Wikipedia as "the open-content, editable encyclopedia that gets
vandalized a lot" and blocking any Wikipedia editor who disagrees.
</WP:POINT>

Common sense says that a slogan is something that must be consistent; we
need a firm ruling from somewhere on high that this is either something to
be decided by the Board/Committees, and if so, what their decision is, or
something to be decided by the individual project, with an accompanying
order to use the slogan Wikisource has adopted for itself.

What we cannot have is every project using a different slogan for the other
projects, or edit wars/wheel wars over which should be which. A round of
applause to Birgitte for refusing to let it become an edit war (both by
refusing to engage in it herself, and for encouraging others from Wikisource
to let the Foundation decide).

Essjay

On 3/23/06, Birgitte Arco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- Cormac Lawler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 3/23/06, Birgitte Arco <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> > > I had previously wrote an email suggesting we
> > > standardize the tag lines accompanying the logos
> > at
> > > meta.  The problem surfaced at EN Wikipedia when
> > after
> > > six months of reading Wikisource The free library,
> > the
> > > tag line was changed during the Main Page
> > redesign.
> > > At the time I wrote I had thought the situation
> > was
> > > cooled off.  It seems that was premature.  Things
> > have
> > > flared up now at Template talk:WikipediaSister.
> > > Neither side is going to convince the other at
> > this
> > > point.  Truly how the projects are represented is
> > > Foundation decision.  This situation will not be
> > > resolved until the Foundation makes that decision,
> > or
> > > declares who the decision should be delegated to.
> > >
> > > Birgitte SB
> >

> > Hi Birgitte,
> >
> > I don't see how the decision can be meaninfully made
> > by anyone *but*
> > the community themselves, ie in this case,
> > Wikisource. But I don't
> > know who would make this decision at the Foundation
> > level, maybe the
> > board, maybe Jimbo himself.
> >
> > I don't want to re-ignite the debate, but I'll make
> > my own comment. I
> > followed the discussion more or less before and I've
> > read the page you
> > linked to. I liked the 'compromise' of "free-content
> > library", but
> > then I realised that all Wikimedia projects are free
> > content. "The
> > free library" is fine, and, bottom line, it's what
> > Wikisource have
> > already agreed on. If/when they agree on another,
> > it'll be changed, as
> > has already been said.
> >
> > Cormac
>
> I am not sure how it the decision would come about
> either.  Of course I agree with your assement of the
> situation, but others don't.  Until one side or the
> other hears something authoritative I am afraid this
> will be unsettled.
>
> Birgitte SB

Essjay
-----
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia
http://www.wikipedia.org/

Re: Foundation project taglines

Birgitte_sb

> What we cannot have is every project using a
> different slogan for the other
> projects, or edit wars/wheel wars over which should
> be which. A round of
> applause to Birgitte for refusing to let it become
> an edit war (both by
> refusing to engage in it herself, and for
> encouraging others from Wikisource
> to let the Foundation decide).
>
> Essjay

Thank you Essjay.  However much tempers got heated, I
don't believe anyone involved would have entered an
edit war even if the template hadn't been protected.

Birgitte SB