The next chapter of new-ish users edit warring over policy pages ([[WP:3RR]])

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The next chapter of new-ish users edit warring over policy pages ([[WP:3RR]])

Katefan0
All,

A couple of users have begun edit warring to remove some text in [[WP:3RR]],
namely:

 * "Reverting in this context means undoing the work of another editor. It
does not necessarily mean going back into the page history to revert to a
previous version. The passage you keep adding or deleting may be as little
as a few words, or in some cases, just one word."; and   * The portion of
the policy that stipulates that partial reverts count as much as whole
reverts.
Others' input is appreciated.

K
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The next chapter of new-ish users edit warring over policy pages ([[WP:3RR]])

Tony Sidaway-3
Wait until they breach 3RR and then block them for a couple of hours
to cool off.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The next chapter of new-ish users edit warring over policy pages ([[WP:3RR]])

jayjg
On 2/21/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wait until they breach 3RR and then block them for a couple of hours
> to cool off.


If they're successful in changing policy, then they won't be able to be
blocked. ;-)

Jay.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The next chapter of new-ish users edit warring over policy pages ([[WP:3RR]])

Tony Sidaway-3
On 2/21/06, jayjg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2/21/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Wait until they breach 3RR and then block them for a couple of hours
> > to cool off.
>
>
> If they're successful in changing policy, then they won't be able to be
> blocked. ;-)
>

Sneaky POV-pushers that we are, we revert their edits and *then* block
them.  Hah!
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The next chapter of new-ish users edit warring over policy pages ([[WP:3RR]])

Dzonatas
Tony Sidaway wrote:

>On 2/21/06, jayjg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>
>>On 2/21/06, Tony Sidaway <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>    
>>
>>>Wait until they breach 3RR and then block them for a couple of hours
>>>to cool off.
>>>      
>>>
>>If they're successful in changing policy, then they won't be able to be
>>blocked. ;-)
>>
>>    
>>
>
>Sneaky POV-pushers that we are, we revert their edits and *then* block
>them.  Hah!
>
Hah! That is what I have seen others do often to get people blocked and
change an article to their consensus!  Wait... how did you know how to
do that?

I'm surprised it was even called an edit-war. Perhaps, everybody who
joined in actually became a part of that edit-war, and everybody should
be blocked. Hah!

I don't try to game the system to not get blocked. However, I'm against
any block on any users. Understand the difference. It's open content,
but it is also a work in progress for an encyclopedia.

I fear that consensus on what is appropriate knowledge is easily
influenced by policies like this. The 3RR needs attention to avoid such,
as the likely-hood of a thwarted consensus is even implied in the
laughter above.

I'm just a wiki-peon that finds it hard to find those that want to help
create a neutral point of view. Instead, I find those that want to
compete for views.

Jonathan


_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The next chapter of new-ish users edit warring over policy pages ([[WP:3RR]])

Tony Sidaway-3
To my recollection I haven't used 3RR for nearly a year.   If someone
is editing like a dick, it's usually easy enough to block them for
disruption.
_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The next chapter of new-ish users edit warring over policy pages ([[WP:3RR]])

Guy Chapman aka JzG
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 02:55:03 +0000, you wrote:

>To my recollection I haven't used 3RR for nearly a year.   If someone
>is editing like a dick, it's usually easy enough to block them for
>disruption.

This is fair comment: 3RR is diagnostic of disruption, but far from
being the only such diagnostic.  On the other hand, not everybody has
your level of confidence in their own judgment, so 3RR is a worthwhile
policy as giving a good indication that blocking a given dick will not
be viewed as contentious.
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:JzG

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The next chapter of new-ish users edit warring over policy pages ([[WP:3RR]])

Dzonatas
Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 02:55:03 +0000, you wrote:
>
>  
>
>>To my recollection I haven't used 3RR for nearly a year.   If someone
>>is editing like a dick, it's usually easy enough to block them for
>>disruption.
>>    
>>
>
>This is fair comment: 3RR is diagnostic of disruption, but far from
>being the only such diagnostic.  On the other hand, not everybody has
>your level of confidence in their own judgment, so 3RR is a worthwhile
>policy as giving a good indication that blocking a given dick will not
>be viewed as contentious.
>Guy (JzG)
>  
>
It does seem like a fair comment. The 3RR page still needs attention. It
has become a sole article to edit to attempt to update the needs the
surrond the issues related to 3RR. I must implore to this audience that
the page needs to be kept very simple. It appears there needs to be a
page for vandal related reversions, as part of the policy against
vandalism has crept on anybody that just reverts even with the best of
good-faith edits. The page is just complex in its attempts to handle
multiple situations. In the process to keep it simple, lets split the
page into vandal related reverts and another to handle non-vandal
related reverts. It's a step.

_______________________________________________
WikiEN-l mailing list
[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, visit:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l