The rupee

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
I asked Michael Everson if he had more information about the new symbol for the rupee. He did and I blogged about it based on his information. Obviously this is a special case but essentially when there is a need for new characters there is a procedure for getting them included in Unicode. Once they are in Unicode, fonts have to support the new characters.
Thanks,
     GerardM

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2010/07/indian-rupee.html

Re: The rupee

Shiju Alex
Here is the link to the proposal prepared by Michael Everson. http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n3862.pdf

But I am not sure whether this is yet submitted to the Unicode consortium.

As per this suggestion, it seems like
U+20B9 will be allocated for the new rupee symbol.

Shiju

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hoi,
I asked Michael Everson if he had more information about the new symbol for the rupee. He did and I blogged about it based on his information. Obviously this is a special case but essentially when there is a need for new characters there is a procedure for getting them included in Unicode. Once they are in Unicode, fonts have to support the new characters.
Thanks,
     GerardM

http://ultimategerardm.blogspot.com/2010/07/indian-rupee.html

Re: The rupee

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
The text as prepared by Michael is the link under "working group document". It is this document that has is also what is valid for Unicode. The code U+20B9 is as far as I know not official and until it is I would feel hesitant of using it.
Thanks,
     GerardM

On 20 July 2010 14:05, Shiju Alex <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ashwin Kumar I R
Hope, this would be a kind of a workaround.

1. Just copy the .ttf file or unzip the Rupee_ttf.zip file attached and paste it in "Fonts" folder in control panel

2. Just select "Rupee" font from the drop down list of your fonts in your application and press the key just above your tab button (`/~). It will display the new Indian rupee symbol. Try it.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Ashwin Kumar I R

+91 98433 28295

From: [hidden email]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:28:27 +0200
To: [hidden email]
CC: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Wikimediaindia-l] The rupee

[...]

Chin music and high voltage T20 action on MSN Sports Sign up now.

Rupee_ttf.zip (12K) Download Attachment
Rupee.ttf (19K) Download Attachment

Re: The rupee

Shiju Alex
No this is not at all a solution. Replacing ~ character in the font with the new rupee symbol is a very bad solution. And this solution is applicable only for Latin script. This type of solutions should not be entertained.

Let the Unicode Consortium define the code point first. Font update for Indian Language scripts needs to come after the code point definition.

~Shiju

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Ashwin Kumar I R <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hope, this would be a kind of a workaround.

1. Just copy the .ttf file or unzip the Rupee_ttf.zip file attached and paste it in "Fonts" folder in control panel

2. Just select "Rupee" font from the drop down list of your fonts in your application and press the key just above your tab button (`/~). It will display the new Indian rupee symbol. Try it.

Thank You and Best Regards,

Ashwin Kumar I R

+91 98433 28295

Re: The rupee

Evertype
In all fairness, what Ashwin Kumar has done *is* a workaround since until the UTC meets next month there is no possibility of putting the INDIAN RUPEE SIGN in any place in a font apart from the Private Use Area or (as he has done) in ASCII.

It would be a bad thing for this to get put into real data, but in order to allow printing, it *is* a workaround.