The value of public data released under a free license

The value of public data released under a free license

Stéphane Coillet-Matillon-2
Hallo mitenand,

for those interested in opendata and the value added to the economy, see the attached Deloitte UK presentation.

Based on the UK numbers, a quick back-of-the-enveloppe calculation gives a CHF 700 millions value for Switzerland each year from public data (one that has been paid with our taxes already) that could be released, with an additional 2 billions to be generated with better exploitation.

The TL;DR of the below email is that the EU is going to recommend public domain release of all data generated by governments, with as few exceptions as possible. If you know anyone in Bern or your respective Cantonal government, let them know!

Stephane

Re: The value of public data released under a free license

Estermann Beat

Dear Stéphane, dear all,

Thanks, Stéphane, for transmitting the good news from Europe. I hope that the views of the European Commission will quickly find its way into practice at the national and sub-national levels in the various countries.

In case you haven’t been aware of it – last year, the Confederation has published a study dealing with the potential economic impact of open government data in Switzerland:

In a study commissioned by the Federal Archives, Dr. A. Bürgi-Schmelz, economic consultant to the FDHA, examines the potential economic impact of the large-scale publication of open government data (OGD) in Switzerland. Despite employing cautious estimates, the author believes OGD has considerable economic potential for the country. In all probability, the revenues from charging for data that the federal administration would forgo could be made up for by additional tax revenues. The study therefore recommends pursuing OGD in Switzerland on the grounds of its economic benefits.

Type: PDF

Economic Impact of Open Government Data (Extended Executive Summary)
Valid from 02.09.2013 | Size: 339 kb | Type: PDF

Type: PDF

Study "Wirtschaftliche Auswirkungen von Open Government Data" (german)
Valid from 02.09.2013 | Size: 5671 kb | Type: PDF

And this spring, the Federal Council adopted an Open Government Strategy for Switzerland:

In German: https://www.news.admin.ch/message/index.html?lang=de&msg-id=52688

In French: https://www.news.admin.ch/message/index.html?lang=fr&msg-id=52688

What can the Wiki-Community do to help realize the expected added value of open data?

-       Import available datasets into Wikidata

-       Facilitate the use of structured data within Wikipedia based on Wikidata (this is at least partly within the Wikidata project’s scope)

-       Find new ways to visually represent data within the encyclopedia based on structured data sources (Wikidata or others)

-       Implementation of Wikibase on Wikimedia Commons / integration of Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata (see here for example)

-       Contribute to the development of shared ontologies in order to facilitate data integration

-       Find ways to interlink the Wikidata world with the Linked Open Data world (presently, it is not within Wikidata’s scope to provide a SPARQL endpoint to the data)

-

There are a series of challenges to resolve also on the side of the data providers – I’m not sure however, whether this should be the focus of Wikimedia. Possibly as part of a cooperation project that focuses on challenges on both sides (data providers and Wikimedia). Maybe in cooperation with the Federal Statistical Office? They are one of the main data hubs in Switzerland and seem to be quite open regarding Wikidata/Wikipedia.

I don’t think there is a big need to lobby based on theoretical calculations of economic impact; there is however a great need to tackle technical and semantic interoperability challenges on the way to realizing this impact. Wikimedia is in a good position to help realize this impact because its business model, based on an “open” model is clear, there is widespread use of its flagship product, and therefore, the immediate usefulness of value-added services that can be offered within Wikipedia based on structured data is obvious.

Cheers,

Beat

Re: The value of public data released under a free license

Yann Heurtaux-2

Switzerland needs more open-data-based startups to make those economic projections an obvious reality.

Opendata.ch + WMCH partnership should, can, is a great place to focus on that. I'm working on at least two related projects, we could work on that together in the Fall.

I will cover the upcoming OKFest with a couple angles, this one included.

-Y.

Tapé sur un téléphone, entre un bus et un train. Merci de votre indulgence pour les coquilles.

Le 3 juil. 2014 09:57, "Estermann Beat" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Manuel Schneider-3
Am 03.07.2014 10:29, schrieb Yann Heurtaux:
> Switzerland needs more open-data-based startups to make those economic
> projections an obvious reality.
>
> Opendata.ch + WMCH partnership should, can, is a great place to focus on
> that. I'm working on at least two related projects, we could work on
> that together in the Fall.
>
> I will cover the upcoming OKFest with a couple angles, this one included.

I may mention that we just launched last Tuesday the austrian open data
portal (opendataportal.at) for non-governmental open data.

It is a joint project of WMAT, OKFN and the federal chancellor's office.
My part was initiating the project and doing all the server stuff (the
portal runs on my infrastructure).
Claudia, ED of WMAT, did the project management, OKFN people brought in
several experts for UI, communications, marketing while the chancellor's
office did outreach to data donors and app developers and arranged 10
days of free consulting from the federal data centre, the guys who run
data.gv.at. They helped us setting up CKAN.
The project won an award by netidee last year which brought us 50.000
EUR, the implementation took about 9 months, given that all work was
done beside regular business and remotely.
The code is open source, so everyone else could set up a new portal much
easier now.
I should emphasize that the long-term goal is to expand this portal to
all german-speaking countries. We just had to focus on one area in order
to get it done in a reasonable time.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: The value of public data released under a free license

Yann Heurtaux-2
Switzerland already have an OGD CKAN-based portal actually Manuel ;) Was inaugurated at last year Geneva's OKcon --> http://www.opendata.admin.ch/
Great news for Austria anyway!

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 03.07.2014 10:29, schrieb Yann Heurtaux:
> Switzerland needs more open-data-based startups to make those economic
> projections an obvious reality.
>
> Opendata.ch + WMCH partnership should, can, is a great place to focus on
> that. I'm working on at least two related projects, we could work on
> that together in the Fall.
>
> I will cover the upcoming OKFest with a couple angles, this one included.

I may mention that we just launched last Tuesday the austrian open data
portal (opendataportal.at) for non-governmental open data.

It is a joint project of WMAT, OKFN and the federal chancellor's office.
My part was initiating the project and doing all the server stuff (the
portal runs on my infrastructure).
Claudia, ED of WMAT, did the project management, OKFN people brought in
several experts for UI, communications, marketing while the chancellor's
office did outreach to data donors and app developers and arranged 10
days of free consulting from the federal data centre, the guys who run
data.gv.at. They helped us setting up CKAN.
The project won an award by netidee last year which brought us 50.000
EUR, the implementation took about 9 months, given that all work was
done beside regular business and remotely.
The code is open source, so everyone else could set up a new portal much
easier now.
I should emphasize that the long-term goal is to expand this portal to
all german-speaking countries. We just had to focus on one area in order
to get it done in a reasonable time.

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

- Yann Heurtaux
Conversationalist | Community Builder Hackuarium
+41 78 845 9266

Am 03.07.2014 11:38, schrieb Yann Heurtaux:
> Switzerland already have an OGD CKAN-based portal actually Manuel ;) Was
> inaugurated at last year Geneva's OKcon --> http://www.opendata.admin.ch/

that is what data.gv.at is in Austria. It already exists since several
years.
What we did was the public complement to the OGD portal - a portal where
NGOs, NPOs, businesses, individuals can upload and share open data.

Eg. we have all winning numbers of the lottery of 1986 - 2013, data from
Hewlett Packard and IBM:

http://data.opendataportal.at/dataset