There are several ways to backup a MW site--what's best?

There are several ways to backup a MW site--what's best?

Ken McDonald-2
I'd like to put our MW site onto some sort of backup routine, and from
looking at various sources, it seems there are at least three different
alternatives, MySQL Backup, MySQL hot backup, and myPHP Admin. I'm
leaning towards myPHPAdmin, just because it seems like it would be
useful for many other things also, but would appreciate users' feedback
on these and other backup methods.

I'm also assuming I need to backup the images/attachments directories
separately. Aside from the database and files, is there anything else I
need to backup?

Thanks,
Ken

Re: There are several ways to backup a MW site--what's best?

Bugzilla from sy1234@gmail.com
On 6/5/06, Ken McDonald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to put our MW site onto some sort of backup routine, and from
> looking at various sources, it seems there are at least three different
> alternatives, MySQL Backup, MySQL hot backup, and myPHP Admin. I'm
> leaning towards myPHPAdmin, just because it seems like it would be
> useful for many other things also, but would appreciate users' feedback
> on these and other backup methods.
>
> I'm also assuming I need to backup the images/attachments directories
> separately. Aside from the database and files, is there anything else I
> need to backup?

LocalSettings.php, AdminSettings.php and the images folder are
important files.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those
and the database are the only useful things to back up.

When my wiki was small, I did a simple mysql dump to back things up.
(These days it's automated from several angles thanks to my hosting)
I think I heard that there is a proper database backup script which
ships with mw, but I haven't worked with it.  I think it avoids
straight dumps and uses some other format.. dunno.